Advanced Search

First sharpening

Recent Forums Main Forum Knife Specific Discussion First sharpening

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Bobby Boychuk
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 4

Recently, I bought 4 handmade Japanese kitchen knives http://www.knifewear.com/knife-family.asp?family=35 One santoku, one sujihiki, and two petty (paring). Of course, I needed a Wicked Edge sharpener so I purchased the Pro Pack II yesterday.

My Koishi knives have Super Blue steel cores. They were extremely sharp right out of the box. However, I just finished sharpening the santoku. The 15 degree bevel was established with the 1000 grit diamond stone. Next, I polished the edge with the 1.4 micron ceramic stone then the 0.6 stone.

All I can say is WOW!!! The Wicked Edge sharpener sets an edge beyond what I thought was possible. Once I’m more experienced with my new WE, I’m finishing off these blade edges with my strops.

Bobby B.

Ken Buzbee
    Participant
    • Topics: 14
    • Replies: 393

Congratulations!

Super Blue loves a good polish. At some point you might want to look into adding a few water stones. I’ve used a 12,000 Naniwa Super Stone with great results. Shiney polish. 😉 Or you could go Shaptons to 30,000.

Ken

cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

Welcome to the forum!

Feel free to post some sharpening pictures… add the knives to the database, etc. There’s a lot of interest in sharpening Japanese style blades on the Wicked Edge.

Enjoy!

Bobby Boychuk
    Participant

Welcome to the forum!

Feel free to post some sharpening pictures… add the knives to the database, etc. There’s a lot of interest in sharpening Japanese style blades on the Wicked Edge.

Enjoy!

I would if I could but I don’t know if I can, my computer skills are limited to say the least.

Bobby B.

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

Welcome to the forum! You’ve got some really beautiful knives there!

I’m currently into Japanese kitchen knives as well, but they can be pricey :dry: . Aogami Super is truely great. The pakka wood handles also look beautiful.

As Curtis said, water stones may be a good option particularly for these blades. They don’t just polish well, they also bring out the kazumi (haze) on these knives really well.

One question: if I look closely at the pictures of the knives, they seem to have a machi, a small indent in the blade just before it enters the handle? Here you can see a little more clearly what I mean: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/suinhowa21.html (click on the picture to enlarge it). Is this really the case? That’d be cool, since not many knife makers do it anymore.

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Ken Buzbee
    Participant
    • Topics: 14
    • Replies: 393

As Curtis said, water stones may be a good option particularly for these blades. They don’t just polish well, they also bring out the kazumi (haze) on these knives really well.

He did? I thought it was me. 😉

(sorry, Mark, just bust’n 😉 )

Ken

Mark76
    Participant

He did? I thought it was me. 😉

(sorry, Mark, just bust’n 😉 )

Ken

Hmm, I’m not sharp today B) .

Bobby Boychuk
    Participant

Welcome to the forum! You’ve got some really beautiful knives there!

I’m currently into Japanese kitchen knives as well, but they can be pricey :dry: . Aogami Super is truely great. The pakka wood handles also look beautiful.

One question: if I look closely at the pictures of the knives, they seem to have a machi, a small indent in the blade just before it enters the handle? Here you can see a little more clearly what I mean: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/suinhowa21.html (click on the picture to enlarge it). Is this really the case? That’d be cool, since not many knife makers do it anymore.

Thank you for the compliment. These knives quickly became my favorites.

Just checked my knives. No machi. A machi would be cool, though.

My WE purchase was the Pro Pack II. The water stones will have to wait for awhile. I want to first master the stones and strops included in the Pro Pack II.

Here’s the next of my knives I want to sharpen. http://www.pumaknives.de/dispitem_122.php?item_no=116010&PHPSESSID=9ln63h5ncdk8qs9qgs7cp66042 This is the knife I carry to field dress animals plus to skin them back at home.

After my Puma skinner, I intend to tackle my other Puma http://www.pumaknives.de/dispitem_122.php?item_no=809040&PHPSESSID=9ln63h5ncdk8qs9qgs7cp66042 This knife was purchased only because I admired it’s beauty.

Just as an experimental exercise, I mounted my hirschfanger in my WE to determine an effective method for securing the blade in the blade vise. I’m at a loss as to the correct terminology defining the blade. At first glance, the blade appears to have an edge on each side but, in fact, only one side is ground to an edge. The other side is a blunt ‘edge’ approximately 3/12″ wide.Any suggestions would be appreciated.

It’s a treat to be a member among all of you who enjoy knives so much.

Bobby B.

Mark76
    Participant

Nice skinner, too!

I for got to add there’s an entry in the FAFQ about sharpening Japanese knives on the wiki here

Bobby Boychuk
    Participant

Nice skinner, too!

I for got to add there’s an entry in the FAFQ about sharpening Japanese knives on the wiki here

Thanks for the comment on my skinner.

Your link to sharpening Japanese knives pertains to single bevel knives. If my understanding of bevels is correct, this is specific to blades with a single bevel on but one side of the edge. My knives have a bevel on each side of the edge. If I’m out to lunch on my understanding, I would very much benefit from correction. I’m very new at all this and have much to learn.

Bobby B.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.