Advanced Search

First knife through the WE

Recent Forums Main Forum Knife Photos First knife through the WE

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Drew
    Participant
    • Topics: 11
    • Replies: 72

As a rite of passage, here are pics of my first sharpening with WE.

Your guy’s articles and advice allowed me this success. Thank you.

Sincerely,

Drew

Drew
    Participant

File upload attempt.

Attachments:
    1 user thanked author for this post.
    Organic
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 929

That looks like a very good first result. Thanks for sharing!

MStarmer
    Participant
    • Topics: 3
    • Replies: 11

What was your progression?

Drew
    Participant

Thank you, Organic, and my pleasure. This system is on the verge of sorcery. Beyond my comprehension.

Starmer, I started with 100, and broke in each grit through 1,500 (just knocking off the big grit for ~ 30 strokes, then flipping the paddles and doing ~ another 30). Then I did the 6mu lapping film, followed by 4mu and 2mu on cow strops.

I probably needed to come in 2 full degrees with the strops. I only did 1 degree, and I’m willing to bet I lost sharpness.

Oh, I also hunted down the only store in town to sell jewlers’ loupes. Got a 10x, and… Not so pretty under magnification. Like that Ray Bradbury story where the Dr. got his ears and eyes fixed.

Last point, I’ve never used such a sharp knife to cut a bagel, and it ruined my experience eating it. The cut was so smooth, when it toasted it created a surface that prevented butter saturation… It was like trying to get oil to soak into painted drywall.

Note to future bagel-cutters: I strongly suggest using a rough, serrated breadknife. The teeth create divits and a roughness that are crucial to texture while toasting, as well as an ideal wicking for butter.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Drew
    Participant

Ps, I may be paranoid, but I’m raising a bur each grit progression up to 1,500. Sometimes even twice per grit, once in the beginning, once near the end, just to make sure.

Drew
    Participant

Pps, I went to the Fasteners section of my local hardware store, and the overwatch brother (sales associate) brainstormed this idea for me: bumpstops using springs instead of just washers.

Pack of 6 springs and 4 tight fitting, rubber washers, and I’ve got bumpstops that prevent me from accidentally scratching the knife face, but can purposefully push down to make use of that top 1/2 inch of grit, all for $5.50.

Thanks Paul. You’re surly, and would probably be better suited working cows than dealing with retail customers, but you’ve got one heck of a problem-solving mentality. I tip my hat to you.

Attachments:
    7 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.