Advanced Search

First knife complete but not to what I wanted

Recent Forums Main Forum First knife complete but not to what I wanted

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Woody
    Participant
    • Topics: 8
    • Replies: 7

So I have a new wicked edge pro pack 2 I’m not new to clamping systems however I am new to wicked edge. My first knife was a joy to work with and it’s razor sharp however it’s not smooth and consistent I have a mirror edge at about just past the halfway point of the blade and all the way to the tip and very satisfied with that but the closer I come back towards the handle the worse it looked still sharp just a consistent polish what would have caused this where did I go wrong and how to I prevent it from happening again so I can be more consistent throughout the entire length of the blade

Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

Woody: Welcome to the Wicked Edge users family and the Wicked Edge Forum

Your results will improve remarkably as your stones wear and break-in.  I believe it took at least 8 or 10 knives before I saw the full potential of the new stones, as they got better with use.  The new coarseness, and some high grits spots will wear and even out and you’ll get better sharpening with more consistent scratch marks and smoother edges. Also as you continue down the road to sharpness your technique will improve.  I too had my doubts at the beginning.  That’s a common comment we hear from most new users of Wicked Edge Systems.

Welcome,

Marc

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Nicko
    Participant
    • Topics: 11
    • Replies: 53

Woody: Welcome to the Wicked Edge users family and the Wicked Edge Forum Your results will improve remarkably as your stones wear and break-in. I believe it took at least 8 or 10 knives before I saw the full potential of the new stones, as they got better with use. The new coarseness, and some high grits spots will wear and even out and you’ll get better sharpening with more consistent scratch marks and smoother edges. Also as you continue down the road to sharpness your technique will improve. I too had my doubts at the beginning. That’s a common comment we hear from most new users of Wicked Edge Systems. Welcome, Marc

What Marc said x2. I’m newish to the WE and have started getting very happy with my results, this morning though was my first sharpening with using a jewellery loupe, I’ve probably done 20 or so knives now at a guess. My stones have broken in nicely and just keep getting better and the loupe showed me where i needed to concentrate to remove scratches from the previous grit. The result was an insane edge that I’m really happy with. Your stones will break in and get better and better, grab some friends fishing knives etc to wear the stones down a bit. enjoy!

2 users thanked author for this post.
    wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

Hi Woody and welcome to the forum! I often run into the same thing when I sharpen, especially when I’m using heel-to-tip strokes. If you observe the stone-to-edge interaction as you lift the stone and push it forward, you’ll see that very little of the stone is making contact with the rearward most inch of the blade. To fix that, I often reverse the direction of my stroke so that I’m doing tip-to-heel strokes for a bit just to ensure the back of the blade is getting equal attention.

-Clay

3 users thanked author for this post.
    Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

Welcome to the forum, Woody! Great your first knife partly already turned out great. There is a learning curve, although it’s not that big. I think you already got good tips (let the stones break in and Clay’s tip) so I have little to add to that. But if you have any more questions, please don’t hesitate to ask!

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Woody
    Participant
    • Topics: 8
    • Replies: 7

Thanks for everyone’s advice and tips looking forward to working with this system for a long time to come!!!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.