Advanced Search

Finally added the new S.W.A.T. Jig

Recent Forums Main Forum Product Announcements Finally added the new S.W.A.T. Jig

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

Many thanks to Curtis for his help in developing and naming this accessory! I’m actually calling it the Variable Stone Thickness Adapter. Happy to change it if anyone can think of something better… 🙂

Here is the link to the new listing: Variable Stone Thickness Adapter

-Clay

Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

Sweet clay! I have used mine some and they are working out great 🙂

Question: are these designed for the old regular arms? Because mine don’t match up height wise for the new upgraded arms, even though they still work fine 🙂

Josh

wickededge
    Keymaster

Josh,

I’m glad they’re working for you. They’re designed for both which is why they’re so big – the entire stone doesn’t need to fit, just enough so that it lines up in the correct plane. There should be enough contact area on the index plate to get a good match up regardless of the height of the pivot.

Sweet clay! I have used mine some and they are working out great 🙂

Question: are these designed for the old regular arms? Because mine don’t match up height wise for the new upgraded arms, even though they still work fine 🙂

Josh

-Clay

cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

Many thanks to Curtis for his help in developing and naming this accessory! I’m actually calling it the Variable Stone Thickness Adapter. Happy to change it if anyone can think of something better… 🙂

Here is the link to the new listing: Variable Stone Thickness Adapter

Looks good!

Wouldn’t “Stone Variable Thickness Adapter” be more appropriate? (Or how ’bout “Stone Variable Thickness Quick Adjust”)?

Tim
    Participant
    • Topics: 2
    • Replies: 9

Stone Angle Compensator? Stone Thickness Adaptor? Stone Angle Regulator?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

Very nice, Clay. And finally a name that makes sense… (who came up with SWAT? Due to lots of tv series many people do associate SWAT here with the police teams…). Reasonable price, too, it seems to me.

And congratulations to you, too, Curtis! Must be nice to see some of your ideas transformed to aluminium!

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Leo Barr
    Participant
    • Topics: 26
    • Replies: 812

Good news good price sorry to harp on how are the DMTs + diamond films doing? Since I am in Spain currently I would rather place the order for the VSTA + the stuff for sharpening ceramics all in one order- any ideas how far off they are?

Leo Nav

Pinkfloyd
    Participant
    • Topics: 22
    • Replies: 208

SWAG: Stone Width Adjustment Guide

wickededge
    Keymaster

Good news good price sorry to harp on how are the DMTs + diamond films doing? Since I am in Spain currently I would rather place the order for the VSTA + the stuff for sharpening ceramics all in one order- any ideas how far off they are?

Leo Nav

We’re working on that currently. Hopefully we’ll have our DMT stones back from the factory soon and will have the diamond films as well. I’ll pursue it some more today.

-Clay

tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

Clay: Sorry about having to fabricate my own paddles for film. So far, I really like the plate glass platens and I understand that at least one of your distributors is making glass paddles too. The blank paddles I purchased from you have aluminum platens which would seem to be quite practical, but the samples I have are less than flat. I think I’m going to try to remove the aluminum and replace it with some 18 gauge stainless sheet steel I have left over. Have you heard of anybody filing them flat? Is there anything I should know about removing the aluminum?

Glass is one way to provide an absolutely flat surface, but I think that 1/8″ thick stainless steel would work as well and be more durable. I just didn’t feel like cutting 20 pieces with an angle-grinder. The local glass shop charged me $1.00 each.

Next Question: As I have been fabricating my own blocks, I’ve used the dimensions of the standard stones as a target dimension. In measuring the different stones, I noticed that as I go up in grit, the thickness drops off slightly – maybe a total of 0.040″ over five pairs of stones. There is no case of the thickness increasing – only decreasing. A devious mind could deduct that progressively reducing the thickness has the effect of slightly increasing the angle by a very small amount with each step up in grit. The net effect is to ensure that a finer grit will not fail to reach the apex, simply because of a slight thickness error.

Was there method to this madness? You could assume this question implies a complimentary view. Cool. B)

wickededge
    Keymaster

Clay: Sorry about having to fabricate my own paddles for film. So far, I really like the plate glass platens and I understand that at least one of your distributors is making glass paddles too. The blank paddles I purchased from you have aluminum platens which would seem to be quite practical, but the samples I have are less than flat. I think I’m going to try to remove the aluminum and replace it with some 18 gauge stainless sheet steel I have left over. Have you heard of anybody filing them flat? Is there anything I should know about removing the aluminum?

Glass is one way to provide an absolutely flat surface, but I think that 1/8″ thick stainless steel would work as well and be more durable. I just didn’t feel like cutting 20 pieces with an angle-grinder. The local glass shop charged me $1.00 each.

Next Question: As I have been fabricating my own blocks, I’ve used the dimensions of the standard stones as a target dimension. In measuring the different stones, I noticed that as I go up in grit, the thickness drops off slightly – maybe a total of 0.040″ over five pairs of stones. There is no case of the thickness increasing – only decreasing. A devious mind could deduct that progressively reducing the thickness has the effect of slightly increasing the angle by a very small amount with each step up in grit. The net effect is to ensure that a finer grit will not fail to reach the apex, simply because of a slight thickness error.

Was there method to this madness? You could assume this question implies a complimentary view. Cool. B)

Great comments! 🙂 The decreasing thickness of the stones was a happy accident. It has to do with the initial bar stock being the same thickness and then the abrasive being progressively thinner due to smaller particles. I discovered it in our very first production run and decided to let it stay that way for the very reason you mentioned, progressively wider angles, though only very slightly.

We have glass platens available at the office if you’d like some. You can call or email and we can get you set up.

-Clay

tuffy braithwaite
    Participant
    • Topics: 184
    • Replies: 360

Are they in stock and available now?……… :cheer:

wickededge
    Keymaster

Are they in stock and available now?……… :cheer:

They are. We don’t have them on the website yet, but you can call in or email for them.

-Clay

Fred Hermann
    Participant
    • Topics: 30
    • Replies: 188

Just got mine for Fathers Day.
    I put them on, half remembering a picture here on the site, and had *NO IDEA* how they were used…
    Looked back at the add, and I think I understand now.
    It might be worth it to add a picture that looks like instructions showing the stones placed flat against the paddle, and maybe something about how to adjust for thickness.
    I know most folks here on the site will re engineer them and figure it out quickly, but I’m dumb…I want pictures in crayon.
    😆 😆

wickededge
    Keymaster

Just got mine for Fathers Day.
    I put them on, half remembering a picture here on the site, and had *NO IDEA* how they were used…
    Looked back at the add, and I think I understand now.
    It might be worth it to add a picture that looks like instructions showing the stones placed flat against the paddle, and maybe something about how to adjust for thickness.
    I know most folks here on the site will re engineer them and figure it out quickly, but I’m dumb…I want pictures in crayon.
    😆 😆

We’ll get instructions and a video out as soon as we can! 🙂

-Clay

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.