Advanced Search

fillet knife adapter

Recent Forums Main Forum fillet knife adapter

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    matlocc
    Participant
    • Topics: 9
    • Replies: 10

I had trouble using the rod included with the kit. The fillet knives would flex back and forth. I ended up getting a tormek adapter for small bladed pocket knives.  I tried it with a fillet knife to get it up higher to do a shallow angle.  Well the blade still wobbled but I then used a triangle file and cut a small groove in the end and BINGO. The blade fit into it nicely and no wobble.

Attachments:
    1 user thanked author for this post.
    dulledge
    Participant
    • Topics: 12
    • Replies: 183

Wicked Edge Precision Sharpener has

Knife Brace for sharpening flexible blades

listed in Product Description. I couldn’t google image of it. Could someone post a picture of this brace? How does it work? Do other WE models have it included? I am particularly interested in Wicked Edge Field and Sport kit.

cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

IMG_0932

Took me a few minutes to figure out what you meant.

Nice idea!

Attachments:
    2 users thanked author for this post.
    matlocc
    Participant

I will post a pic with a knife in it in a day or so.

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

It sounds like a good idea, but I’m having a hard time interpreting the pictures. Perhaps you could post some clearer pictures/pictures from other angles?

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

@dulledge: what brace do you mean? I cannot find it on the site. Do you have a link?

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

dulledge
    Participant

@dulledge: what brace do you mean? I cannot find it on the site. Do you have a link?

Wicked Edge Precision Sharpener has “Knife Brace for sharpening flexible blades” listed in Product Description. Link here . Scroll down to Product Description. It is last item listed under “Kit includes:”.

dulledge
    Participant

It sounds like a good idea, but I’m having a hard time interpreting the pictures. Perhaps you could post some clearer pictures/pictures from other angles?

I guess he made a groove on tip of the bracket. Knife is positioned in a way that blade is inserted into the groove. Groove prevents the wobbling. tormek-we

Attachments:
    cbwx34
    Participant

Wicked Edge Precision Sharpener has Knife Brace for sharpening flexible blades listed in Product Description. I couldn’t google image of it. Could someone post a picture of this brace? How does it work? Do other WE models have it included? I am particularly interested in Wicked Edge Field and Sport kit.

The brace with the original kit was a thin rod that fit in the small hole in front of the blue base…

IMG_0937

… doesn’t work with the Field and Sport or any other model that I know of, and doesn’t work with things like the Low Angle Adapter.  The idea is to brace a thin blade.  (Put the ruler in just give a size idea).

Oh yeah,,,, there was a tiny slot at the top to help try and hold the knife.

Attachments:
    dulledge
    Participant

@cbwx34: Thank you for posting the brace picture. I am still not sure how it works. 

How about this crazy idea? If blade is flexible, put handle into a bracket that is standing separately on a table. The bracket can be mounted on a stand like Adjustable Desk Microphone Stand . The knife will be sturdy and blade will be sturdy. Any suggestions for what can be used for handle bracket?

mic_stand

The base of this stand is iron cast. It is very heavy and sturdy. Many variations are used for table microphone stands. All under $15.

Attachments:
    cbwx34
    Participant

@cbwx34: Thank you for posting the brace picture. I am still not sure how it works. How about this crazy idea? If blade is flexible, put handle into a bracket that is standing separately on a table. The bracket can be mounted on a stand like Adjustable Desk Microphone Stand . The knife will be sturdy and blade will be sturdy. Any suggestions for what can be used for handle bracket? mic_stand The base of this stand is iron cast. It is very heavy and sturdy. Many variations are used for table microphone stands. All under $15.

Honestly, I don’t think the WE brace worked very well… I’d post a picture of the setup, but I have tape covering the hole.  Think I tried it a few times… didn’t really care for it.

Your idea is not crazy… a lot of guys have done it.  There’s pictures scattered thru the forum… although I can’t seem to find any.  Some threaded a bracket into the base that would hold the handle.  It’s a good way to do it.

I’m cheap… I just used my body or string…

… worked well!

cbwx34
    Participant

Found one by pinkfloyd… he says it’s a RAM arm…

MODS!!! Lets see em!!

MOD

Attachments:
    dulledge
    Participant

Your string setup is awesome! I love it! So simple.  I have 2 concerns though. 1. The strings may pull knife down if you tie them tight. The leverage is pretty long comparing with clamp. 2. How paddles squeeze under strings near blade heel. The strings could be attached to handle butt though. Thank you for posting your solution! I think it is the best so far. 

dulledge
    Participant

Found one by pinkfloyd… he says it’s a RAM arm…

Thank you for great tips Curtis! I found another one in the thread you posted. It was posted by phil loder here .

flexible

Attachments:
    matlocc
    Participant

20161123_201525-384×512
    20161123_200821_001-384×512
    20161123_202249-384×512

new pics

Attachments:
    4 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.