Advanced Search

Filet knife

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Danny
    Participant
    • Topics: 11
    • Replies: 26

Ok friends. I am going to get my big collection of filet knives and start to sharpening all of them.  My question is what the best way to sharpening these because some are pretty flimsy?  I think on light pressure and hold the knife with my other hand while first starting.  Also would you just start with 1000 grit if the knife is not in bad shape and progress from there?  Thanks.

tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

Usually, the blades are so narrow that clamping them in the vise and being able to get at the edge without hitting the corners of the vise is the main problem.  A Low Angle Adapter will usually work.   I clamp the tip as close to the vise as possible and hold the handle either with my off hand or with the RAM mounted clamp, sort of like this:

RAM Suction Mount

I saw an interview with the owner of Martinii knife company, and during a plant tour, he stated that they sharpen their filet knives to 22 dps.

Like any other knife, you choose the grit according to the degree of damage needing to be repaired.  A simple touch-up could require only 800 or 1000 grit to start with.

6 users thanked author for this post.
    Danny
    Participant
    • Topics: 11
    • Replies: 26

Thanks tcmeyer.  I have found it on amazon.  This will help tremendously.

Richard
    Participant
    • Topics: 14
    • Replies: 183

Usually, the blades are so narrow that clamping them in the vise and being able to get at the edge without hitting the corners of the vise is the main problem. A Low Angle Adapter will usually work. I clamp the tip as close to the vise as possible and hold the handle either with my off hand or with the RAM mounted clamp, sort of like this: RAM Suction Mount I saw an interview with the owner of Martinii knife company, and during a plant tour, he stated that they sharpen their filet knives to 22 dps. Like any other knife, you choose the grit according to the degree of damage needing to be repaired. A simple touch-up could require only 800 or 1000 grit to start with.

Ordered the both Tom, thanks!

1 user thanked author for this post.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.