Advanced Search

Field and sport pro question

Recent Forums Main Forum Field and sport pro question

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Ian
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 9

So I’m still sitting on the fence with which system to buy but I am getting very close to purchasing and I thought I would keep this all in the same thread rather than start another “which model?” topic.

Given I am looking to purchase here in Australia there are significant differences between pricing compared to US due to exchange rate, import duties, taxes, shipping etc but the relativity is roughly the same between models and packs. I am really considering the WE130 with additional 800/1000 diamond stones versus the gen3 pro. I certainly understand additional stones/strops/laps etc will come later. I already have a loupe and angle cube so feel either system will allow me to learn the techniques involved in using the system and with practice and application expect to be able to sharpen edc folders, kitchen and my own made knives (fixed blade hunters/utilities and folders mostly) to very practical levels of sharpness.

The WE130 is of course cheaper so big positive there but will require me to make up a base and sort some kind of storage solution. Base pretty simple, case likely a pick an pluck off the shelf unit which I have to factor in the cost. The field and sport pro would not encounter these issues but availability and aesthetics mean I am looking at the WE130. This model has been touted as more flexible especially with regard to sharpening knives with uneven bevels although I am not sure that will be an issue for me. If I had a knife that had a couple of degrees difference on either side I would want to reprofile to get them even. Also the gen3 pro using the micro adjust on either side could be used to get up to 8 degrees difference between sides anyway so I am not sure this is really a valid concern? For a chisel ground knife you only sharpen one side so again I don’t see an issue here but maybe I am missing something.

The gen3 pro comes with base and the hard carry case for storage and transport meaning I would be able to much more easily store and take it out of my home. Speed of setup would be quicker but really this is not a driving factor for me. I do like the idea of dropping 0.5 degree steps for either convexing or when stropping is very quick and easy. Probably the most attractive thing really is the quality robust build of the gen3 pro unit with anodised aluminium base and stand. I’m definitely wanting to buy once/cry once and so do fear some regret spending a lot on the WE130 and thinking I should have stretch a little further to the pro.

So, not so much a question, more an opportunity for me to lay out my current thoughts. I’m sure plenty of others have gone through similar ramblings in their heads so please feel free to share your thoughts of your own experiences or on my ramblings here. I feel I can’t really go wrong with either system but when spending this kind of money I really want to get it right!

Ian

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Organic
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 929

It looks like you have considered the relevant concerns. I have the Gen. 3 pro model and it is a great unit. If I were to do it again I would go with the pro pack 3 because it includes almost everything you could want (most of which I have since acquired) and the ability to do asymmetrical grinds appeals to me. If you think you’re more likely to do a convex edge than you are to do a 70 / 30 grind and you don’t need the wider angle range that the WE130 platform offers, then the Gen. 3 Pro is probably the unit for you.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

the gen3 pro using the micro adjust on either side could be used to get up to 8 degrees difference between sides anyway so I am not sure this is really a valid concern?

Just to interject here, Ian, this difference is in theory based on stats and is on paper.  To put it into practice would be challenging.  If you were starting with a clamped knife without a pre-existing bevel, maybe backing one side micro-adjustment screw all-the-way in and running the other side micro-adjustment all-the-way out, you may be able to create a new knife edge bevel with an 8º difference from one side bevel angle to the other side bevel angle.  In real life we are usually attempting to match existing bevel angle profiles on both sides of the knife.  In practice then if you were lucky enough that your bevels maximum difference were only 8º and to figure out how to match it up to get the right gross angle setting to split the difference so one side all in and one side all out covered it would be a real time consuming, trial and error, chore.  It’s seems like you could do it but not so much in a practical sense.

For me the only real thing the Gen 3 Pro will do well that the WE130 won’t do easily, is Convex Bevels.  These too can  even be done with the WE130 but only with a lot of time, effort and tedious adjustments.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

Ian
    Participant

If you think you’re more likely to do a convex edge than you are to do a 70 / 30 grind and you don’t need the wider angle range that the WE130 platform offers, then the Gen. 3 Pro is probably the unit for you.

Thanks organic, I’ve never considered a 70/30 grind and am not sure why I would want this so am probably a bit ignorant here. Would you care to expand a little on these? Are they offering some advantages and more common than I realise?

I guess the OCD in me wants to think of bevels either perfectly even on both sides (something that attracted me to the WE system was opportunity to get this) or 90 degree on one side. I hadn’t considered wanting uneven bevels – I’ve been trying to avoid/fix them!

Ian
    Participant

Just to interject here, Ian, this difference is in theory based on stats and is on paper. To put it into practice would be challenging. If you were starting with a clamped knife without a pre-existing bevel, maybe backing one side micro-adjustment screw all-the-way in and running the other side micro-adjustment all-the-way out, you may be able to create a new knife edge bevel with an 8º difference from one side bevel angle to the other side bevel angle. In real life we are usually attempting to match existing bevel angle profiles on both sides of the knife. In practice then if you were lucky enough that your bevels maximum difference were only 8º and to figure out how to match it up to get the right gross angle setting to split the difference so one side all in and one side all out covered it would be a real time consuming, trial and error, chore. It’s seems like you could do it but not so much in a practical sense. For me the only real thing the Gen 3 Pro will do well that the WE130 won’t do easily, is Convex Bevels. These too can even be done with the WE130 but only with a lot of time, effort and tedious adjustmen.

Thanks MarcH for your thoughts and experience. I guess I assumed getting 8 degree difference would be a theoretical maximum and I always thought of uneven bevels only being a couple of degrees out which the micro adjust would be able to account for. More than this I would tend to use my belt grinder on a very slow speed to even things up to within few degrees before dialling in with the accuracy of the WE. It however is more of an issue than I thought I guess as it keeps being raised as a big positive to the WE 130 over the gen3 pro. Hmmmm….. more thinking to do.

Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

If you’re more likely to sharpen even bevels and symmetrical grinds, and do some convex bevels, the quicker and simpler to use Gen 3 Pro is the way to go.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

Organic
    Participant

Check out this thread.

Ian
    Participant

I ordered the gen 3 pro. Thanks for all the helpful thoughts from the forum members both in this thread and across the entire forum.

Organic
    Participant

You won’t be disappointed. It is a beautifully made tool.

BBBYpsi
    Participant
    • Topics: 5
    • Replies: 16

We need a update & a few photos of what your sharpened knives look like. I hope your enjoying your system.

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.