Advanced Search

Favorite/favored carry knife/knives

Viewing 7 posts - 46 through 52 (of 52 total)
  • Author
    Bill
    Participant
    • Topics: 3
    • Replies: 20

Spyderco-Endura 4. VG-10, 61 Rockwell, 20dps. Sharp enough to slice a tomato paper thin or push cut a frozen bunker when the wife and I go crabbing at the Jersey shore. Love this knife and only paid $65 for it.

Geocyclist
    Participant
    • Topics: 25
    • Replies: 524

Spyderco-Endura 4. VG-10, 61 Rockwell, 20dps. Sharp enough to slice a tomato paper thin or push cut a frozen bunker when the wife and I go crabbing at the Jersey shore. Love this knife and only paid $65 for it.

I like their VG-10. Got a Delica. Like it a lot. A little small, but not too bad as I like 3″ blades for EDC office carry. Got the Endura, quite a big knife for me. Really wish they had something exactly between a Delica and Endura.

Geocyclist
    Participant
    • Topics: 25
    • Replies: 524

For me, for daily office EDC carry I pretty much go with Benchmade Doug Ritter mini griptillian with Keven Wilkins scales. I like the Ritter blade shape, hight flat grind, over the regular mini grip and I definitely prefer Kevin Wilkins scales in Aluminum over the stock BM handles. The Wilkins are flat and much better in pocket. These knives I carry in pocket with no clip.

Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

For me, for daily office EDC carry I pretty much go with Benchmade Doug Ritter mini griptillian with Keven Wilkins scales. I like the Ritter blade shape, hight flat grind, over the regular mini grip and I definitely prefer Kevin Wilkins scales in Aluminum over the stock BM handles. The Wilkins are flat and much better in pocket. These knives I carry in pocket with no clip.

I agree… that Ritter grip has a great feel and blade shape, esp w/ Wilkins scales!

Timm
    Participant
    • Topics: 11
    • Replies: 44

Well, I’m just a humble old hippie living out here in the boonies….

My Benchmade, no idea what model. Only marking on it is ATS-34. Bought at Andy and Bax in Portland, OR some thirty-odd years ago:

That one has a pocket clip on the other side, mounted for hinge-down, and lives in my right back pocket. Been there for a long time.

This is a newer addition to my EDC line:

Opinel Gentleman w/cocobolo grip. I love the shape and thinness of this blade. Perfect for fish and birds in the field. I’ve been carrying it in my right front pocket for about a year.

When out in the woods:

My grandfather’s old Marbles often finds its way behind my belt.

• This reply was modified 2 years ago by Timm.
    tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

I’m sure I’ve done three or four of the Marbles just like the one shown in the photo.  No… maybe more than that.  When I was trying to get more experience, I invited friends to bring in their entire collections for sharpening.  Seemed like everybody had an old Marble or two.  They seem to take a keen edge very easily.

Timm
    Participant
    • Topics: 11
    • Replies: 44

Thanks, TC.

The Marbles is a nice, tiny bowie. It does take a good edge easily (I took to 1K diamond), but of course, it loses it easily too. Lots of touch-up when breaking down a carcass, and I wouldn’t use it for dressing a critter out. The mud and dust in the hair is extremely abrasive for the harder steels. The Gerber Shorty with its 62 Rockwell high-speed tool steel is for that.

I still haven’t been able to find an exact match for it on the ‘net, so no idea what model it is. Something like 3 1/2″ blade (not here right now), 7″ OAL or so. I wear a size 8 glove and the grip is a little small for me.

I also haven’t found a match for the Benchmade. I lost it for a few years–found it again in the engine compartment of a rig I had worked on for a friend–and tried to replace it, but BM no longer seems to make anything that slim and light, which is what I like about it. I think I paid $85 for it back in the late ’80s.

Viewing 7 posts - 46 through 52 (of 52 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.