Advanced Search

Favorite/favored carry knife/knives

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 52 total)
  • Author
    Robert Devault
    Participant
    • Topics: 2
    • Replies: 7

Is that a Hinderer design?

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

That’s very cool, Leo! I didn’t know Soshui makes folding knives as well. They look like his other knives: basic, but very high quality. It’s a real coincidence that I’ve just been emailing with him :cheer: .

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Leo Barr
    Participant
    • Topics: 26
    • Replies: 812

So far as I know it is based on Higonokami style knives from the 1890s . This particular knife is not absolutely as original in style and has a greater level of finish the hinge on the traditional ones is a pin domed on one end and the other flattened off this has a more modern alternative.
    It is possible that Hinderer took some inspiration from these knives that are seeing a renaissance due to the West’s interest in Japanese blades(mine included).
    The blades are typically laminated .

tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

Leo: If you’re the gent you seem to be, Mallorca will be a lesser place with your absence. I always wanted to spend some time in the UK, but by the time the opportunity arose, I was the boss and had to send someone else. He advised me that the reason Brits drank warm beer was that they had Lucas refrigerators. And they had kippers on their eggs for breakfast. I think I’d still like to go, but travel is out of the picture now. I know the Brits speak a language similar to our own.

Did you have to change your EDC knife because of UK laws? If so, what was it? Is this move a permanent thing?

Lastly, does the Takeda’s secondary bevel go all the way to the edge as it appears? Looks like you just shaved your arm.

Leo Barr
    Participant

I have to move back to the UK my son is near school leaving age and there simple are not many job opportunities for him except for working on yachts which does not appeal to him; so the move to the UK is permanent still have a lot of family around London although I will be in the next biggest city that been Manchester.
    By the sounds of it UK has tightened up their knife carrying laws I thought the Rockstead would be fine but even though the blade is little more than two inches long it is a fixed blade therefore verboten so higo style knives are okay blade less than 3 inches and not locking (my Lagouiles are too long unfortunately ) so now most of my knives will have to stay in the house(for my appreciation) I have 3 higos in total two traditional ones and the one pictured so three usable EDCs (having been a yachtsman most of my life I am used to carrying a knife I would say that a knife is obligatory on deck).
    As to your questions yes I did swipe off some arm hair which I forgot to wipe off . The knife is Scandi ground (similar to a Mora)around 10/11 dps . I will see how the edge works if I find it chips I will put a convex bevel on it it is beautifully thin.
    I always pinch just above the bevel to gauge the shape of the knife if I can feel a shoulder or it feels too fat I thin it since this is virtually as important as the bevel ; the first thing that struck me about this knife was how thin it is similar to my Honyaki Nakira .
    The pinching above the bevel really helps me when gauging whether I need to thin or not I would recommend this to anyone once you know how a good slim profile feels and therefore cuts it is a really quick method no eyes needed.

Leo Nav

Mark76
    Participant

Leo,

Where did you get the Takeda knife?

Lots of fun & success & happiness in the UK! I will miss your descriptions of Mallorca (which I visited once, but don’t know well). It sounds like a relaxed place with all the visitors & yaughts.

And TC, the UK has changed a lot since the ’80s. Back then food was quite unedible (veggies cooked for at least half an hour :ohmy: ) and the unions & strikes were all over the place. Not every change there is positive (my oh my, is it really illegal to carry even a Laguiole knife?), but at least the food is quite good nowadays and I always enjoy it a lot when I have to go to London for my work. (Although some beer is still luke warm :huh: And Guinness is undrinkable as ever 😛 . Fortunately every pub has cold lager, too :cheer: .)

Leo Barr
    Participant

https://toshoknifearts.com/shop currently the knife and similar ones are not on their website probable due to lack of stock I would imagine they will reappear when Takeda has time to make some more his main thing appears to be kitchen knives they have quite a lot of them on toshoknifearts and there are a couple on CKTG

Mark76
    Participant

Cool shop! Thanks!

Leo Barr
    Participant

How about this for EDC NOT

Ken Buzbee
    Participant
    • Topics: 14
    • Replies: 393

Some terrific knives, gents!

For me, pretty much constantly since it arrived, a Centofante Memory

This knife is a perfect sized EDC IMO. 3″ blade, blue anodized Ti scales with glass fiber overlay on the non clip side. Liner lock. Butter smooth.

I never thought I’d like it as well as I do. I tend to go for (what I perceive as) more ergonomic designs, but this knife, with no choil and little contouring is really quite perfect.

Ken

Robert Devault
    Participant
    • Topics: 2
    • Replies: 7

I ordered my zt 0550 2nd generation from kershawguy.com. it’s my current edc. You can find some great deals on kershaw and zt blems. Worth checking out. Trust me.

Leo Barr
    Participant

Ken very clean lines the colours are modern as well.

Leo Nav

Mark76
    Participant

Great knife, Ken!

Eamon Mc Gowan
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 513

How about this for EDC NOT

Wow this is one seriously expensive knife! :ohmy: Fair to say this poor ol boy will never own one. :S

Ken Buzbee
    Participant
    • Topics: 14
    • Replies: 393

Thanks guys!

Yeah, I kinda hate this knife. I LOVE getting new knives and this thing has stopped a whole bunch of purchases lately 😉 I look at the possible acquisition, then look at the Memory and go “naw, I’d never carry it” 😉 It’s kinda like that voice in your head, but worse, because it’s AWESOME… 😉

Ken

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 52 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.