Advanced Search

Factroy 2nd Gen 3?

Recent Forums Main Forum Sharpener and Accessory Maintenance Factroy 2nd Gen 3?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Josh-L
    Participant
    • Topics: 6
    • Replies: 13

Wasn’t sure where to post this.  Anyway,  does anyone on here have experience with the factory 2nd 2016 Gen 3 Pro’s offered on ebay?  I emailed WE about them and got a reply back saying they weren’t covered by their warranty and the guide rods weren’t to their specs.  I figured I’d order the longer rods from WE so that will solve that issue.  I’m trying to sell my WE120 setup to upgrade to the Gen 3 Pro.  Was planning on getting the 2017 version but thought if I can save some money with this factory 2nd model then I’ll go that route.

Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

My understanding are these systems were made when WE was going through there experimenting, improving and refining stages on the new models.  Make a change then build some units to try it. Make another change then build some more units to try the next change, improvement or failure.  Some changes I imagine are not as good as anticipated.  The machine shop that made these units are left with the machined unsold parts.  They assembly these parts to salable 2nds. My feeling is you may not be getting something that works as well or correctly as a factory warranted spec model.

Also, there’s a reason there’s a 2017 Gen 3 Pro!  So not only is it a factory 2nd you’re considering, it’s a factory second of the old model!

The warranty and customer service you’d be forfeiting to save a few bucks is another consideration.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

3 users thanked author for this post.
    Josh-L
    Participant

Yeah it has the old style micro adjust and old jaws.  I’m just thinking out loud. lol

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

Yeah it has the old style micro adjust and old jaws. I’m just thinking out loud. lol

The biggest difference between those units and the current models is the design of the clamp. We redesigned it from the bottom up in 2017 with the tension adjustment feature, which allows you to clamp very thin blades without needing the extra jaws for thin blades, a new cam, new cam follower, a different style spring system, narrower jaws for lower angles, split jaws for distally tapered knives etc..

-Clay

3 users thanked author for this post.
    Josh-L
    Participant

Roger that Clay. I think I just needed to post this to affirm I shouldn’t bother! lol

Now I just need you to add the gen 3 pro on expertcity 😛

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

The biggest difference between those units and the current models is the design of the clamp. We redesigned it from the bottom up in 2017 with the tension adjustment feature, which allows you to clamp very thin blades without needing the extra jaws for thin blades, a new cam, new cam follower, a different style spring system, narrower jaws for lower angles, split jaws for distally tapered knives etc..

In other words it not much different…LOL

That’s reason to buy only from you.

Thanks, Clay

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

2 users thanked author for this post.
    sksharp
    Participant
    • Topics: 9
    • Replies: 408

I use a 130 pre 2017 model without issue for the most part. Having said that I would buy from WE and get the updated model with the warranty. You may save a few bucks buying the seconds but if you can afford it, the 2017 model is the route I would go.

2 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.