Advanced Search

Excited to upgrade with a couple questions

Recent Forums Main Forum Excited to upgrade with a couple questions

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    phillyjudge
    Participant
    • Topics: 21
    • Replies: 63

I have the original Gen3 vise , and would like to update to the GEN3(2).

Will the angle bar that I needed for the first upgrade work with the newest vise?

I have read here that the guide rods are now a larger diameter. Are they the ones listed on the website? Can I use my pre-2017 brackets with them or do I have to upgrade them as well?

phillyjudge
    Participant

I guess the WE130UP package would do the trick??

Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

Which particular Model System do you have.  From the questions you’re asking and the wording I’m guessing you started with what is now the WE120 and upgraded that to the WE130 with the 1st released Gen 3 Vice, (no split vice and no tension adjustment).  If that is the case the square angle bar will work just fine. The newer Gen 3 (2) vice is the same height and same base and mounts identically.  It has the split jaws and tension adjustment features.

The newer diameter guide rods are the rods Wicked Edge now sells and they are compatible with your ball end brackets.  The  thread size is the same.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

1 user thanked author for this post.
    phillyjudge
    Participant

Thank you. MarcH. I am curious if the ball joint assembly itself has been upgraded as well. Also, the new brackets with the lock-out knurled nut look like a great upgrade.

Your assumptions were correct about the set up. The only replacement part I had to buy was new brackets, as the old ones got buggered up from metal/diamond dust.One of the fine people here sent me nylon set screws to replace the locking stud on the set up I have now.

phillyjudge
    Participant

sorry for the multiple posts… just wondering, are the PRE 2017 L brackets compatible with the new ball joint/jam nut ends for the 10″ rods?

Organic
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 929

The threading on the rods has remained consistent so the new 10″ rods should fit with no issue.

Marc H

The new version mini “L” brackets on the latest version WE130 have shorter length adjustment screws on the ball ends.  The new style mini “L” brackets are narrower so they don’t require as long a thread.  They are also tilted inward to allow for a wider angle range with binding when leaned in to the extreme margin.  The shorter threads are really too short to use with the old style mini “L” bracket ends.

With your older style mini “L” brackets with the opposing thread locking system and wider brackets you need the older longer thread ball rod arm ends.  With the nylon locking screws eliminating the problem of buggering the threads you should be fine with the old style ball ends and brackets.  I’m using the same nylon thread set up for years now.  If you’re comfortable with what you’re using and how well it functions then stick with that.

If you really want to go “new” then you’ll need to replace both the mini “L” brackets and the ball ends.  Then you’ll also need to learn how to work with the new style locking system and work with the very small and compact mini”L” brackets.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

phillyjudge
    Participant

Have the ball joint ends been upgraded in the last four + years?

Marc H

The ball joint ends that are included with each model that feature micro-adjustments have all been upgraded, yes.   The ball joint itself and the threaded socket that accepts the threaded angle guide rod are the same.  The screws that attach the ball end to the bracket ends have changed in accordance with how each specific model they’re used with has been upgraded in the past four years.  The Gen 3 Pro and the Commercial Series use one style ball rod ends.  All the micro-adjustable models in the Gen 2 series: WE12o, WE13o, Field and Sport, Field and Sport Pro, use the other style ball end with the knurled knob thumb wheel.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

phillyjudge
    Participant

Thank you so much for your replies. I greatly appreciate them….just to clarify: there is no QC reason for me to upgrade the ball joint ends themselves? In other words, the ball joints have not been de-sloppified? If that is the case, new, larger diameter rods and the G3(2) vise should be the ticket!

Marc H

Correct.  I still use the old ball joints.  I have wiped the balls clean with a dry paper towel to remove the metal dust and lubricated them with a dry lubricant product on the order of this product.  Then rotated the ball to all the extreme margins and this helped greatly to loosen them up.  The larger diameter guide rods in conjunction with the new stone handles does seem to reduce any slop.  The new handles are molded with the bore holes paired to work well with the rods.  There is a tighter tolerance.  The old stones do work well too with the new thicker guide rods.  You may come across some paddles that are too snug.   These I opened up using a dry clean inexpensive bronze gun barrel bore brush run down the paddle hole till they fit and slide correctly.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

2 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.