Advanced Search

Ever wanted to measure and view a Edge Profile? Check this out!

Recent Forums Main Forum Welcome Mat Ever wanted to measure and view a Edge Profile? Check this out!

Viewing 9 posts - 76 through 84 (of 84 total)
  • Author
    Frans
    Participant
    • Topics: 3
    • Replies: 83

Look at the European site. http://dino-lite.eu/index.php/nl/
    You might find a dealer nearby and it seems that the European models can be different from the international models.

cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

This is all very interesting, but I’m not sure what we’re trying to prove. I wouldn’t expect to measure bevel angles which are significantly different from what I’m setting up for with my AngleCube and WEPS. And what if it were? What would you do next? Is the intent to show a customer what you’ve done for him/her? Or is the intent to measure the factory angle before sharpening? I’d think most of them aren’t particularly flat bevels. Most I’ve seen are sharpened on a belt and probably polished on a wheel.

I think showing bevels pre-sharpened is probably the most useful. New knives often come with a number of issues: off-centered edges, unequal angles, high buffed angles, etc. Then you have the ‘use and improper sharpening’ issues.  It’s hard to convey these issues… this is a case where a picture is definitely worth more than a thousand words. 😉

I did a knife the other day where one side was 20°, the other side was close to 40°, and once I noticed this, you could see how far off-center the edge was… yet both bevels looked ‘equal’.  These are the issues that would be good to document, if for no other reason than educating new sharpeners, as well as users on why a knife should occasionally be ‘professionally’ sharpened, (or what the last ‘professional’ did haha.)

3 users thanked author for this post.
    M1rrorEdge
    Participant
    • Topics: 8
    • Replies: 222

The main problem for me is that when browsing the Dino-Lite site, it was pretty scarce with information.

I agree with the Dino lite website not having much, however, they do have a YouTube site with great videos on just about the whole  Dino-lite line up.  (Click Here)  If you find a camera your interested in, sometimes on the Dino-Lite site you will find a video tab, that links to the YouTube page.

If you navigate to the YouTube page directly (Click Here),  just type in the model number in the search field and you will usually see it come up.

Depending on your application these are great little USB Microscopes.  Just a reminder that you need significant magnification to view the “edge of the edge” 900X or better and they only have one camera that can do that.  With these microscopes at the higher magnification you lose the ability to see at lower magnifications because you basically only have one objective lens.

They have so many options…. I wish they would just package the best together.  They seem to have a camera for each application.

In some ways, I think you could just purchase a metallurgy microscope and then put a Dino-lite eyepiece USB Camera in it.  This would provide both low power and higher power magnification with all the benefits of the Capture 2.0 software.

See this post, I was getting a lot of questions off forum, so, I added the details to this post.

Here is my new plan in a different post .  Like many of you I went searching for a solution.  Either direct or indirect I got help from you all Thanks!

Eddie Kinlen
    M1rror Edge Sharpening Service, LLC
    +1(682)777-1622

matlocc
    Participant
    • Topics: 9
    • Replies: 10

What is the round laser tool used for measuring the angle called and where can I get one or how can I make one?

1 user thanked author for this post.
    cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

What is the round laser tool used for measuring the angle called and where can I get one or how can I make one?

http://www.catra.org/pages/products/kniveslevel1/lkep.htm

M1rrorEdge
    Participant

It’s called a Goniometer.  The only place I have seen it sold is by CATRA (Here).  I have seen others making them on YouTube, however,  I would question the accuracy.  The “HobiGoni” as they call it is what I have.  I paid 108.00 Euros for it without shipping (import from Great Britian).  I understand that they have two other models as well.  Ones is the focus model and the other is not focused.  According to CATRA they recommend the focused.  Both of the more expensive models are recommended for industrial settings.  But it is 630.oo (Euros) without shipping.   I witnessed one of the goniometers being used at Chris Reeve knives to ensure angle accuracy and Clay from WickedEdge has also shown it in one of his videos.  I think it is great for a quick angle check, however, it can be difficult to read until you get familiar with it.  I hope that helps!  Cheers!

Eddie Kinlen
    +1(682)777-1622

Attachments:
    M1rrorEdge
    Participant

While studying the different observations in this post and to keep with my “theme” that everyone should be able to use this tool discussed on this forum for blade bevel angle analysis and measurement, I remembered that I have used a free microscope measuring product called ImageJ found (Here).  This advanced software can be downloaded on MAC and Windows PC for Free.

Even with an inexpensive USB Microscope, you can take accurate measurements of your USB photos immediately.   I have included in this post a YouTube video (Here) that shows you how to make basic angle and line measurements to include creating an accurate measurement scale.

The only tool you may need in addition to this “free” software is a ruler to set the scale of your image (The smaller the ruler the more accurate).  This software isn’t near as intuitive as Dino Lite Capture 2.0 software, however, with a little reading and watching YouTube videos you can learn to use this software just as effectively and the best part is that it’s free.

In all reality this software is much more powerful once one learns how to use it.  Universities all over the world use it effectively for general microscopy studies.  I am hoping that by providing this additional information more people will be able to try it and join in on the discussion.

Please Let me know what you think!

ImageJ-Example

Slide1

Eddie Kinlen
    +1(682)777-1622

Attachments:
    1 user thanked author for this post.
    M1rrorEdge
    Participant

Also, I failed to mention in the above post.  You don’t need a microscope “AT ALL”  to use ImageJ for making accurate measurements.  You can use any photograph captured with any camera to measure angles and lengths within a image as long as a known length of a object in the photo can be seen (like a standard ruler).  The software can be easily calibrated to be accurate.  I have produced the short video to help anyone interested in using this software to get started.

Eddie Kinlen
    +1(682)777-1622

3 users thanked author for this post.
    M1rrorEdge
    Participant

Sorry for delay, video now uploaded.

Eddie Kinlen
    +1(682)777-1622

Viewing 9 posts - 76 through 84 (of 84 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.