Advanced Search

Emerson Mini A-100 Chisel grind GONE!

Recent Forums Main Forum Knife Photos Emerson Mini A-100 Chisel grind GONE!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Lance Waller
    Participant
    • Topics: 23
    • Replies: 138

I am very proud of this one! Everybody knows how Emersons are ground…….a 30 to 35 degree bevel on the left side and a flat chisel grind on the right side. Well……NOT ANYMORE!! I took this A100 all the way down to a 17 degree on BOTH sides. Took the ol 50/80’s to it and made this thing sharp as a razor. I can also fix my hair in the bevel! LOL But seriously……..this thing is scary sharp now…..and looks pretty good…..if I must say so myself!

Attachments:
    Steven N. Bolin
    Participant
    • Topics: 47
    • Replies: 456

Man, that’s very impressive… Beautiful.

Can you provide some measurements for the width behind the edge and at the spine?

tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

Well done Iwaller! Beautiful bevels!

Pat
    Participant
    • Topics: 16
    • Replies: 114

Did you remove the chisel because it was hard to sharpen or because you just prefer dual bevel?

Lance Waller
    Participant

Did you remove the chisel because it was hard to sharpen or because you just prefer dual bevel?

I prefer the dual bevel. Its actually very easy to sharpen. All you do is sharpen the beveled side and then knock the burr off of the other side. Its really easier than a dual bevel to sharpen.The chisel grind just doesn’t do certain cuts very well….in my opinion. I like a slicer! 🙂

Steven N. Bolin
    Participant

I prefer the dual bevel. Its actually very easy to sharpen. All you do is sharpen the beveled side and then knock the burr off of the other side. Its really easier than a dual bevel to sharpen.The chisel grind just doesn’t do certain cuts very well….in my opinion. I like a slicer! :)[/quote]

High praise for taking on this project, lwaller.

It just goes to show that you understand edge geometry and sharpening as a science. Not only that, but you’re obviously well capable of providing a physical example to back up your knowledge and understanding… Once again. I’m highly impressed!

SHVentus
    Participant
    • Topics: 14
    • Replies: 64

lwaller1980,

Very nice! How do you get your tip so perfect? I’d love to see a video with explanation on how you accomplish it. Great work.

Steven N. Bolin
    Participant

lwaller1980,

Very nice! How do you get your tip so perfect? I’d love to see a video with explanation on how you accomplish it. Great work.

^^^ Yeah, man, what he said!!! ^^^

Lance Waller
    Participant

lwaller1980,

Not sure. Just scrubbing at the beginning of each grit. Then alternating strokes with each grit. The key to a sharp tip (I believe) is to work the tip just as you work the base of the blade. I put extra pressure on the back of the paddle with my thumb and get as close to the tip as possible without having the paddle scrape over the edge….ruining your tip. Another key is my diamond stones….they are well worn in which has made a tremendous difference in the finish I have been getting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Steven N. Bolin
    Participant

lwaller1980,

Not sure. Just scrubbing at the beginning of each grit. Then alternating strokes with each grit. The key to a sharp tip (I believe) is to work the tip just as you work the base of the blade. I put extra pressure on the back of the paddle with my thumb and get as close to the tip as possible without having the paddle scrape over the edge….ruining your tip. Another key is my diamond stones….they are well worn in which has made a tremendous difference in the finish I have been getting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/quote]

Thanks for the reply.

I’m still waiting on those measurements though… So, get ‘crackin!!! :woohoo:

SHVentus
    Participant
    • Topics: 14
    • Replies: 64

Thanks 1980. I try to place more pressure on the rear of the stone as I approach the tip, so to not round it, but the tip just never looks as good as yours. My stones are new though, maybe with more time.

Lance Waller
    Participant

Thanks 1980. I try to place more pressure on the rear of the stone as I approach the tip, so to not round it, but the tip just never looks as good as yours. My stones are new though, maybe with more time.

Wondering…..do you have the upgraded arms? I’ve heard some say that with the older arms, you can get some rounded tips. As long as you treat the tip with extreme care and work it as you work the base of the blade…..the tip should come out pointy.

phillyjudge
    Participant
    • Topics: 21
    • Replies: 63

GREAT JOB!!!
    that is frightening.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.