Advanced Search

Edge Tester

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Jose Fuste
    Participant
    • Topics: 4
    • Replies: 26

Has anyone tried this tool before? How effective is?

http://www.oldawan.com/Products.html 33. IN STOCK – Edge Tester

…:unsure:

cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

Doesn’t look like you can link directly to it, so here’s the info…

It works well. It will tell you if a blade is dull, if it’s sharp, and/or if there’s problems with the edge… a burr or wire edge will feel rough for example. It won’t really tell you levels of sharpness. A blade has to be pretty sharp to “pass” all the tests, so, for example, it should shave arm hair, but it won’t really tell “levels” of sharpness beyond that. In other words, you couldn’t use it to tell whether an edge would whittle hair, for example.

There’s actually 4 parts to the test… not just sliding it down the edge.
    If you like a coarse edge, it won’t work as well… it requires a fine edge to pass all the tests. (Doesn’t have to be polished… a 1000g stone edge should pass, for example).

It’s really nice to have when you’re looking at knives in a store, and the clerk freaks out when you start strumming the edge with your fingers like a guitar. :whistle:

Jose Fuste
    Participant

Thanks for the details…

Jende Industries
    Participant
    • Topics: 14
    • Replies: 342

The Edge Tester is extremely effective, IMO.

I still use it, and it keeps me honest. The more you use it, the more sensitive you become while using it – and there are days I hate it because of that!

I agree with everything CBW said, but I find that with enough use you can also tell the approximate level of refinement even though that specific test of running the tester along the edge is to check more for any inconsistencies such as small chips or dings.

For example, with enough use, you will feel that a 600 grit diamond edge will have a certain feel/resistance as you run the tester along the edge that is very different from a 10K Chosera edge. More importantly, if you missed a spot when using the 10K, there will be a “rougher” patch where the refinement levels are different.

Jose Fuste
    Participant

That is what I’m looking for, something other than my nail :S that will detect a small chip or ding. I’m going to give it a try…It is not that expensive as I see. Thanks…

Eating Pie
    Participant
    • Topics: 5
    • Replies: 36

What material is the tester made from? It looks like a pen, and from the instructions, it seems like a pen would work exactly the same.

Here is a PDF link to the instructions.

I hope I don’t come across as naysaying this product, it’s just that it really does look like a pen-shaped piece of plastic.

-Pie

cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

Comparing it to a pen has come up before, so I’ve tried both. There are some differences. The Edge Tester has a harder surface than a pen, which requires a better edge to pass the first test. The shape of the ends results in better feedback vs. a pen, so you’ll detect more subtle issues like burrs or rough spots. In summary, a knife might pass all tests on a pen, but fail on the edge tester. The consistency also allows you to interpret the feedback better… pens aren’t always as consistent.

On another note, in addition to the steps in the instructions, I also use it to detect a burr by pushing the end up over the edge (like you might do with a fingernail), since it’s in my hand anyway.

Thanks for posting the instructions.

Fred Hermann
    Participant
    • Topics: 30
    • Replies: 188

Swell, another gadget to justify to the wife.
    This does look interesting, and since I got my PP2, I’m extremely leery of using a fingernail to test the edges, they are far too sharp, and the potential for comedy and bloodspray is far too high….

Eamon Mc Gowan
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 513

I love the idea for testing burrs! I’m not good with burrs past 600 grit? Maybe this will help? I sent Bob an email send one!

Jose Fuste
    Participant

Today I received the tester and it does work as expected. At least it helps me detect where the edge has an imperfection. Really happy with it.:cheer:

Eating Pie
    Participant
    • Topics: 5
    • Replies: 36

What did you do with it to find the imperfection? Has it helped with burrs?

I am considering one too, but wanted to hear some first-hand experience! 🙂

-Pie

Jose Fuste
    Participant

Following the instructions, specially Step 3 & 4, by just passing the tool without a need to apply any pressure you will feel it right away in both directions. The tool is made of a really hard plastic and it has a decent weight so you don’t need to use any pressure.

Haven’t check for burrs yet, but I’m pretty sure it will detect it.:cheer:

Eamon Mc Gowan
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 513

I am delighted to hear this! As I have one on the way. Should be here soon with some other goodies I ordered.

Samuel Gabriel
    Participant
    • Topics: 3
    • Replies: 20

… The more you use it, the more sensitive you become while using it …

Wow, you’ll be crying at chick flicks and talking on the phone for hours about feelings soon! 😛

Edit: Sorry about that, couldn’t resist. But seriously, this looks like something I might have to pick up as I’m still learning sharpening.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.