Advanced Search

East Beach Fare today: 13 tickets and omg

Recent Forums Main Forum Sharpening as a Business East Beach Fare today: 13 tickets and omg

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    tuffy braithwaite
    Participant
    • Topics: 184
    • Replies: 360

Forecast looked really bad for the fare today, but luck was with us today – held off until almost the end, then just some light stuff.
    The fare was kinda busy and the knife sharpening was good also. Had a lot of great variety of knives today, some I had never ever seen before. Lots of pockets, mixed lot of kitchen, survival one, and wait till the end of vid – omg.
    Jed, I used your set up today on all knives except the last one and I really worked great again, but I want to add this: last week I got new 400/600 – yesterday with my new water stones, I got a new set of 100/200’s. I can tell you one thing for sure. Those two improvements really speeded up the sharpening. I suspect my old ones were just worn down so much it too longer, but not with these new one. I might even go as far as to say my new 100/200 are better than my tested and used 50/80’s – the 50’s still are good, since I have not used them as much as the 80’s.
    Now that leads me to this question———–what do with do with old paddles?? – can we send them back for re-treads ..?…..remove old diamonds and add something?? – I am looking for comments.
    I may not make Whole Foods gig on thur. I am suppose to me a gold hunting buddy from waterloo, io. And we are bound for ocean city, md. For some plundering for at least two days. He comes east every summer to plunder someplace on the east coast and usually stays with me and hunts around here. Last year he carried toooooo much gold back to waterloo and we barred him from coming back () we will have to wait and see how that works out.
    Good luck to everyone – see you someplace soon. – vid is like 7 mins. almost

Haakon Aase Heie
    Participant
    • Topics: 2
    • Replies: 20

Hello Tuffy, (and hello everyone) This is my first post on this forum. I ordered my PP2 in June, and yesterday I got word that it was sent. I am really looking forward to receiving it. I am planning to start a sharpening business this fall. 🙂

I am Norwegian and live in the Bergen area in the South West part of the country. Just to say that what you got there is what we kall a “samekniv” (sami knife). These knives are the traditional knives of the Sami people, which lives up in the North. They are usually large and sharp, with a low angle edge, probably because they use them to skin and prepare reindeer.

You can find a little bit more about the knives here:

http://www.samekniv.no/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=49&Itemid=64

tuffy braithwaite
    Participant

Hello Tuffy, (and hello everyone) This is my first post on this forum. I ordered my PP2 in June, and yesterday I got word that it was sent. I am really looking forward to receiving it. I am planning to start a sharpening business this fall. 🙂

I am Norwegian and live in the Bergen area in the South West part of the country. Just to say that what you got there is what we kall a “samekniv” (sami knife). These knives are the traditional knives of the Sami people, which lives up in the North. They are usually large and sharp, with a low angle edge, probably because they use them to skin and prepare reindeer.

You can find a little bit more about the knives here:

http://www.samekniv.no/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=49&Itemid=64%5B/quote%5D
    ok Haakon – thanks for the link and the information on that big old knife. it did become very sharp and polished up pretty good for my limits..

good luck to you in your sharpening business – and hope to see more of you on here soon.

ordered in june – sent now – can you explain that? and now how will it take for you to receive it?

i buy all my treasure hunting scoops from a fellow hunter in odessa, ukraine, he makes and sells on the internet as stavrscoops, his name is ruslan. for your info – normal travel time from ukriane to virginia in usa is 12 days, but we have received a few scoops in only 9 days.

that “Sami Knife” is kewl knife for sure….thanks again.

Haakon Aase Heie
    Participant
    • Replies: 20

Thank you for your good wishes 🙂

According to the USPS site it will take 6-10 business days to get it here. Normally with orders from the US, I’ll get stuff in between 1 to 2 weeks.

The waiting time was due to a shipment of poor quality aluminium they said. It was apparently the longest back order they’ve had. But I don’t mind as long as I get a quality product in the end. Kyle threw in an extra set of 5/3.5 strops, to compensate for the wait. I have also ordered the 1200/1600 ceramics, so I am really looking forward to this 🙂

cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

Now that leads me to this question———–what do with do with old paddles?? – can we send them back for re-treads ..?…..remove old diamonds and add something?? – I am looking for comments.

Good question. What about “moving them down the chain”… in other words, if you’re 100/200s are now finer, use them in place of 400/600s? At some point though you may be right… just getting new stones instead of whole new paddles may be a better (and cheaper) option.

Welcome to the forum! Hope it arrives safe and sound soon. Keep us posted!

Allgonquin
    Participant
    • Topics: 8
    • Replies: 51

Tuffy, as much as I love reading your stories and watching your videos, you’re killing me with “fare”. Fare is what you pay for transportation, or how you are getting along, (How did you fare at the fair today?) or alternatively, something to eat. A _fair_ is where you go to visit and see things and do stuff like sharpening knives.

There, I feel much better now, and my elementary school English teacher can stop rolling in her grave right now…

Rgds,
    The spelling police

Eamon Mc Gowan
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 513

Tuffy, as much as I love reading your stories and watching your videos, you’re killing me with “fare”. Fare is what you pay for transportation, or how you are getting along, (How did you fare at the fair today?) or alternatively, something to eat. A _fair_ is where you go to visit and see things and do stuff like sharpening knives.

There, I feel much better now, and my elementary school English teacher can stop rolling in her grave right now…

Rgds,
    The spelling police

Welly? spelling lesons, maybe u could hep me? :unsure:

tuffy braithwaite
    Participant

i am not walter cronkite, but i got news for you.

mabye where u live and spell it is spelled fair as you suggest, but in other places, it is spelled F A R E – fyi only.
    http://www.yelp.com/biz/farmers-fare-east-beach-norfolk
    http://futurepartners.is/#Farmers-Fare
    http://www.shopfarmersfare.com/mission-statement/
    http://vagrown.vi.virginia.gov/product.aspx?pid=72184
    http://www.ribblefarmfare.co.uk/
    i could add more, but i think u should get the picture and the spelling of fare ok now.

Leo James Mitchell
    Participant
    • Topics: 64
    • Replies: 687

FYI only, Allgonquin is spelled Algonquin where I come from!LOL! 😉 Fare enough!ROTFLMAO!

Cheers
    Leo

Mikedoh
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 568

FWIW

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/fare

Definition of FARE

a : range of food : diet
    b : material provided for use, consumption, or enjoyment
    a : the price charged to transport a person
    b : a paying passenger on a public conveyance

cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

I see no reason for a separate thread….

(Fare enough?) 😆

James Wilson
    Participant
    • Replies: 5

It is a FARE not a FAIR.

tuffy braithwaite
    Participant

I see no reason for a separate thread….

(Fare enough?) 😆

i saw a reason tooo….. 🙂
    (fair enough?)

Allgonquin
    Participant
    • Topics: 8
    • Replies: 51

Tuffy,

I’m not too big a fellow to admit that you have cited several uses of “fare” in published material in a way that I have not seen before – although I would say that “farmers fare” is more a play on words rather than a correct usage, I will give you props for digging those up and a special pass from the spelling police in this case. Well done.

And yes, about “allgonquin”, I’m aware of the correct spelling of the Native American tribe(s) with a single L – but many internet sigs are not exactly dictionary words or common or proper names, eh?

Carry on and good luck with the fares.

Regards

tuffy braithwaite
    Participant

Tuffy,

I’m not too big a fellow to admit that you have cited several uses of “fare” in published material in a way that I have not seen before – although I would say that “farmers fare” is more a play on words rather than a correct usage, I will give you props for digging those up and a special pass from the spelling police in this case. Well done.

And yes, about “allgonquin”, I’m aware of the correct spelling of the Native American tribe(s) with a single L – but many internet sigs are not exactly dictionary words or common or proper names, eh?

Carry on and good luck with the fares.

Regards

in virginia, we have virginia state fair next month at the virginia fair grounds.
    i spell fair same as you, but all the farmers markets/fares are all spelled: fare – i just copied what they used.
    see ya

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.