Advanced Search

Drilling a Granite Base

Recent Forums Main Forum Techniques and Sharpening Strategies Drilling a Granite Base

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Joshua Jonas
    Participant
    • Topics: 5
    • Replies: 6

Can someone point me in the right direction as to what drill bit is needed to drill granite a base?

Allgonquin
    Participant
    • Topics: 8
    • Replies: 51

Rotozip?

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

We use diamond tipped bits from Rocket Supply but they are expensive for a one time use. You can use a regular masonry bit if you keep it wet. You can make a little dam with a modeling clay to hold water around the area you’re drilling. The reservoir you create should be about 1.5″ tall and 4-5″ in diameter with the drill hole in the center. Press it firmly into the granite so that the water doesn’t escape. That will keep your bit cool and allow you to get through the stone. It’s important to go slowly and let the bit work, frequently pulling it out of the hole to cool and remove the debris in the hole.

-Clay

John
    Participant
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 1

I think some industrial 3M double faced tape would be a lot easier and hold up just as well. May also want to check your local phone book for monuments/granite retailers and see if they would drill the holes for you. YMMV.

Jende Industries
    Participant
    • Topics: 14
    • Replies: 342

Mason bits work well, but can wear considerably even in one use!

+1 on keeping the bit cool, and go slow – you may actually crack the granite if you use too much force.

Don’t ask me how I know….. :dry: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

Ken Schwartz
    Participant
    • Topics: 4
    • Replies: 90

Hope you enjoy the music 🙂

Ken

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.