Advanced Search

Down & dirty LAA Mod

Recent Forums Main Forum Sharpener and Accessory Maintenance MODS Down & dirty LAA Mod

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    PapaL
    Participant
    • Topics: 5
    • Replies: 5

Since we haven’t had the money to purchase the LAA, riser block and longer arms we had to come up with something on the fly. So I found this at the hardware store and we were able to hit 12.7 deg on this fillet knife. The white film is static cling, which gives it an incredible grip. The static cling helped keep it solid with the absence of tapping this thin metal to put a lower screw in to create back pressure. It got the job done and the client should be more than happy with their new wicked edge.

Attachments:
    7 users thanked author for this post.
    Mikedoh
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 568

Nice job.

3 users thanked author for this post.
    Organic
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 929

Very cool! For a filet knife your adapter may actually be an improvement over the Wicked Edge LAA because it also lends some rigidity to the flexible blade by clamping along a much wider portion of the knife. Thanks for sharing!

3 users thanked author for this post.
    sksharp
    Participant
    • Topics: 9
    • Replies: 408

That is interesting for sure! Nice

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Readheads
    Participant
    • Topics: 32
    • Replies: 308

Phenominal !  This is the simplest method I have seen to date to solve the flexing issue on thin kitchen knives.  I am heading to Home Depot now to get the parts.  Exactly what brand is the “white film static cling” ?

Readheads
    Participant

Just finished my mod, I can now go to 12 DPS with no flex, $8.99, what a deal.

Thanks to PapaL !!

20180127_190052_resized

Attachments:
    6 users thanked author for this post.
    PapaL
    Participant

The plates were at Lowe’s in the specialty hardware section in one of the drawers marked ‘hobby’.

The static cling is from work, I work for a sign company and we print on it. Trying to think of where one could pick it up at a local store, but can’t visualize who would have it.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    PapaL
    Participant

Redheads,

Totally missed your post before I posted. Looks good!

Looks like you sharpened some of the jig. Lol!!!

The only tough part is you can’t tap a lower hole and use a set screw to create back pressure cause the material is so thin.

Readheads
    Participant

You could spot weld on a mut. Where wou you put it.

PapaL
    Participant

You’d cut one plate short so that one plate is mounted on the WE and then weld a nut on the bottom portion of the shorter plate. The short plate doesn’t get clamped in the WE. But, that will only work ‘efficiently’ if the 2 plates don’t have any flex to them.

Readheads
    Participant
    • why would that be necessary ? Right now the 2 plates are clamped together at the WEPS, the mounted knife thickness forces a spread and the 2 screws counteract the spread for a super tight grip on the knife. I think you may be ablr to do a single screw in the center with a minimal wing to welded nut cause the plates are slightly bowed.
    • What do you think of my serrated idea from your other post ?
    tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

Redheads:  Looks like you’ll need some longer rods.  WE offers 10″ and 12″ rods, but I understand they’ll make longer ones if you wish.  I already had the 1/4″-28 die, so all I needed was a length of rod.

I’ve got a sheet of stainless steel left over from an earlier project.  I was going to make a new plate for my HF metal bandsaw, but may that’ll have to wait.

Another good idea, PapaL.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.