Advanced Search

Do’s and Don’t flier

Recent Forums Main Forum Sharpening as a Business Do’s and Don’t flier

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Eamon Mc Gowan
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 513

I’ll put some thought into it over the weekend, and could work on a template with some of the info we compile as the copy text so folks can tweak or rework it however they like but don’t have to design it from scratch.

Maybe a quick list of “did you know?” type things that aren’t especially common knowledge, like Clay’s findings that an expertly sharpened knife actually cuts cleaner and extends the shelf life of produce versus a dull knife. Little things like that help; people will look at them and realize maybe there’s more to having a sharp knife than the possibility of nicking themselves with it 🙂 Some other things that I have on my sharpening page of my website include properly sharpened blades staying sharper for longer, being able to tune the angle and finish for your usage, etc.

Personally my sharpening hangup flyer at these flea markets and such has a giant bold heading asking potential customers “HOW SHARP IS YOUR KNIFE?”. You’d be surprised how few people can answer that, and how many more think a butter knife is adequately sharp! Attention grabbers are a great way to at least get people to take a look, and like I mentioned in another thread actually being there sharpening something (even if it’s a dollar store made in china kitchen knife you bought just to wreck over and over) will help draw attention too.

Apex, way to go! Thank you just the stuff I’m looking for! In advertising sales I read you have less the something like 2 seconds to get there attention? Less than that to keep it? Attention grabbers, anything like that?
    Anyone Have a thought an idea? The littlest thing can turn into magic. I’ve seen it before when a group gets together and brainstorms the magic happens. My first father in law was an extremely wealthy man. Rags to riches story. When he had a new product he would ask everyone their opinion, even the grandchildren. He said you never know where a good idea will come from? PLEASE everyone throw out your ideas!
    Thank you Apex and everyone else.
    Eamon

cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

Maybe a quick list of “did you know?” type things that aren’t especially common knowledge, like Clay’s findings that an expertly sharpened knife actually cuts cleaner and extends the shelf life of produce versus a dull knife. Little things like that help; people will look at them and realize maybe there’s more to having a sharp knife than the possibility of nicking themselves with it 🙂 Some other things that I have on my sharpening page of my website include properly sharpened blades staying sharper for longer, being able to tune the angle and finish for your usage, etc.

To something like this I would add… a sharp knife makes cutting easier (less force, more control, etc.).

Eamon Mc Gowan
    Participant

Hi Guys,
    Well sorry it has taken some time to get a new flier up. Health has been not so good so only so much gets done each day? 🙁
    I did attempt to listen to everyone’s comment/suggestion and use them all. :whistle: Please go ahead and pick out what you like and dislike and I shall go from there? Remember this is a work in progress and that I’m trying to get something in their hands that might get stuck on the refrigerator or in the junk drawer? B)
    I still can not figure out how to host this at Photobucket so I only have the link. :unsure:
    If things stay on target it looks like I will be doing our local Farmers market with surrounding towns to follow up in about 3-4 weeks? :woohoo:
    Thank you one and all,
    Eamon

Attachments:
    Leo Barr
    Participant
    • Topics: 26
    • Replies: 812

I like your flyer Eamon a possible refinement could be most Japanese knives are not designed for chopping they are slicers.
    Come to think of it as well knives should be rinsed as soon as possible when cutting acidic foods like onions , fruit etc since the acid actually dulls the edge.

In conversation you may add food lasts longer cut with a sharp knife since the cells are cut rather than smashed if you cut an apple with a blunt knife a lot more juice will be lost and if you do another slice with a sharp knife the sharp slice will oxidise at a slower rate.
    I think Clay has brought this up somewhere.

cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

You have a couple of spelling errors…

• magnetite should be magnetic (unless that’s a brand or something?)
  • Bladesmith is one word. (I’m not sure if that’s a good suggestion… how many people know a reputable bladesmith? Maybe reputable dealer?)
  • Not sure you want to suggest they try and cut it in half, if it’s something you hope they’ll keep? 😉

Peter Nowlan
Participant
  • Topics: 1
  • Replies: 6

Eamon, your flyer certainly catches all the important points.

In my experience there is a pattern and it is applicable to just about everyone, a series of questions that I am sure everyone has heard. The response is not always black and white, there is no perfect answer so your ability to clarify the common issues will set you apart perhaps and leave people walking away wishing they found you years ago.

When I was sharpening at the Market, I found it a little stressful because I was out of my comfort zone, making the knives sharp was not the problem, doing it with people watching, questioning, correcting and telling me about the old oil stone they have in their garage that does the same thing I’m doing. Meanwhile, I’m focusing on raising a burr, removing the burr, all that cool stuff we do.

Back to the pattern, over the years the questions remain the same.
1. What is the best knife?;
2. How long will the knife stay sharp?;
3. How much does it cost to sharpen it?;
4. My husband says he can just sharpen it at home just as good as you, can you do any better?

(It seems to me that mostly women bring me their knives, they have given up on the husband who is reluctant to let someone else touch the their knife and do no better than he can do and charge for it. I saw this repeated countless times and I’m often presented with knives that look as if they were dragged behind the car for a few miles)

Your ability to answer the questions that cannot all be answered may be an important step for you.
My answers to the questions that still come daily are:
1. A sharp knife. ( I talk them out of knife blocks and tell them to purchase one good knife and a good Steel)
2. This is THE question and all they need to know is that it won’t be dull tomorrow. Many will interpret your explanation of Steel, angle, what is being cut, how it is being stored and if it is being maintained as avoiding the question. Even though in all cases they have used a dull knife for months/years they want assurance that the knife will stay sharp for a while. I usually tell them 2-3 months with normal use and no maintenance. (This is stretching it but I keep in mind they have used the dull knife for 20 years in many cases). I never tell them what they want to hear, “an eternity”
3. $1.25 an inch for kitchen knives – 10-15 for others.
4. “Please tell your husband that I admire anyone who has an interest in sharpening knives. Does your husband have any other interests besides knife sharpening, cars, golf, TV, fishing ? I DON’T. If your husband doesn’t think this is the sharpest knife he has ever seen, I will refund the money. I appreciate you bringing it to me, I know it likely wasn’t easy and I don’t take it for granted”

When the opportunity presents itself, I will always talk about a sharp knife making the person a better cook for the reasons Leo mentions. “A dull knife is a continuous source of frustration, it’s a barrier between yourself and the joy you could get from cooking. It’s holding you back because you hate that knife. Experience what a truly sharp knife feels like and unleash the skilled chef inside of you that is waiting, all it takes is the sensation you will experience from slicing food with a sharp knife”

Every now and then the right person will take that to heart.

Bottom Line – Your passion for knife sharpening will be the key element that leads people to trust you with their beloved knives. Comfort them by telling them their knives are important to you, you love their knives.:)

tuffy braithwaite
Participant
  • Topics: 184
  • Replies: 360

pretty kewl ticket

let me know more on how it does.

Eamon Mc Gowan
Participant

You have a couple of spelling errors…

• magnetite should be magnetic (unless that’s a brand or something?)
  • Bladesmith is one word. (I’m not sure if that’s a good suggestion… how many people know a reputable bladesmith? Maybe reputable dealer?)
  • Not sure you want to suggest they try and cut it in half, if it’s something you hope they’ll keep? 😉

Curtis,
    Good catch on my spelling! And I will change bladesmith to a dealer. That makes more sense. The cutting thing is just a hook? It’s a trial close. If they can not cut the paper it is all the easier to close them. Thank you for taking a good close look for me!!

Eamon, your flyer certainly catches all the important points.

In my experience there is a pattern and it is applicable to just about everyone, a series of questions that I am sure everyone has heard. The response is not always black and white, there is no perfect answer so your ability to clarify the common issues will set you apart perhaps and leave people walking away wishing they found you years ago.

When I was sharpening at the Market, I found it a little stressful because I was out of my comfort zone, making the knives sharp was not the problem, doing it with people watching, questioning, correcting and telling me about the old oil stone they have in their garage that does the same thing I’m doing. Meanwhile, I’m focusing on raising a burr, removing the burr, all that cool stuff we do.

Back to the pattern, over the years the questions remain the same.
    1. What is the best knife?;
    2. How long will the knife stay sharp?;
    3. How much does it cost to sharpen it?;
    4. My husband says he can just sharpen it at home just as good as you, can you do any better?

(It seems to me that mostly women bring me their knives, they have given up on the husband who is reluctant to let someone else touch the their knife and do no better than he can do and charge for it. I saw this repeated countless times and I’m often presented with knives that look as if they were dragged behind the car for a few miles)

Your ability to answer the questions that cannot all be answered may be an important step for you.
    My answers to the questions that still come daily are:
    1. A sharp knife. ( I talk them out of knife blocks and tell them to purchase one good knife and a good Steel)
    2. This is THE question and all they need to know is that it won’t be dull tomorrow. Many will interpret your explanation of Steel, angle, what is being cut, how it is being stored and if it is being maintained as avoiding the question. Even though in all cases they have used a dull knife for months/years they want assurance that the knife will stay sharp for a while. I usually tell them 2-3 months with normal use and no maintenance. (This is stretching it but I keep in mind they have used the dull knife for 20 years in many cases). I never tell them what they want to hear, “an eternity”
    3. $1.25 an inch for kitchen knives – 10-15 for others.
    4. “Please tell your husband that I admire anyone who has an interest in sharpening knives. Does your husband have any other interests besides knife sharpening, cars, golf, TV, fishing ? I DON’T. If your husband doesn’t think this is the sharpest knife he has ever seen, I will refund the money. I appreciate you bringing it to me, I know it likely wasn’t easy and I don’t take it for granted”

When the opportunity presents itself, I will always talk about a sharp knife making the person a better cook for the reasons Leo mentions. “A dull knife is a continuous source of frustration, it’s a barrier between yourself and the joy you could get from cooking. It’s holding you back because you hate that knife. Experience what a truly sharp knife feels like and unleash the skilled chef inside of you that is waiting, all it takes is the sensation you will experience from slicing food with a sharp knife”

Every now and then the right person will take that to heart.

Bottom Line – Your passion for knife sharpening will be the key element that leads people to trust you with their beloved knives. Comfort them by telling them their knives are important to you, you love their knives.:)

Peter,
    You made some excellent observations from you experience as a sharpener! I have found too that there is always the same “objections” over and over again. It is clear you have thought out your plan well! I am a firm believer in having my answers for objections thought out before they are even asked? I like many of you answers!
    Answer #3 $1.25 inch kitchen 10-15 for others> is that for folders/hunting knives just curious?
    I have reread your thoughts a couple times and still getting stuff from it! Thanks again!

Peter Nowlan
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 6

Eamon, Yes the $10-$15 is for folders, hunting knives and also cleavers. For me personally, it takes longer to sharpen those knives than a Chefs knife for example. Now a little Swiss army knife is different, I may only charge 6 for that, or do it for free if the person is nice and doesn’t expect it to be done for free.

Bill
    Participant
    • Topics: 3
    • Replies: 20

I recommend, to my customers to watch a couple of U Tube vids on Chef Knife Skills. If they can learn to use their knives properly the knives should stay sharper longer and they will be safer when using them.

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.