Advanced Search

Do’s and Don’t flier

Recent Forums Main Forum Sharpening as a Business Do’s and Don’t flier

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Eamon Mc Gowan
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 513

Okay guys we have had a lot of engineering of design, IT, set up of Farmer’s Market (thank you Tuffy),but how do you guys market yourselves? :huh: My former life was sales. Before that I was an “old school butcher” we butchered beef, lamb, veal… that’s were I learned to sharpen a knife. So as a salesman I’m always looking for a “gimmick” to keep my name handy?
    We know people are going ask “how much” or are you “always here”? How about a little something with your name and number they might read?
    Last night I had a ah ha moment and thought of a Do’s and Don’t Flier. I have attached the example and would love your input for more do’s and more don’ts? And really any other idea you might have?
    Thank you,
    Eamon

Edit: Sorry guys when I attached the flier I thought it would just open? I guess I don’t know how to do that

Attachments:
    Leo Barr
    Participant
    • Topics: 26
    • Replies: 812

I know a couple of chefs who although they are great at their craft it does not extend to use of knives it is hard to educate them but all to often they really abuse their knives .
    One chef in particular keeps rolling his blades because he will not use the right knife for the job he uses a Premier line Kai Shun Chef knife for everything (220+$ ) from cutting cake on cake dishes to viciously chopping root vegetables he works on a yacht is extremely well paid with no overheads so I have already had to re profile the blade , The galley itself has 18 knives excluding his half dozen .
    I know many cooks and chefs that ruin their knives often when they may well have boning, filleting, carving,vegetable knives and cleavers .
    The thin bladed Japanese knife are fantastic if you use them correctly but Japanese prep so far as I can tell is more refined than Western cooking.

The point I am really making and perhaps should be added is understand for what and how the knives should be used .

When I first got a Chinese cleaver I went straight to You Tube as I have done with Debas & Yanagibas

I cringe when I see a knife I have sharpened been abused or using a rough steel at the wrong angle again most of the Japanese knife makers suggest ceramic hones .

I know the misuse of knives gives me work ( the worst misuse I think is using a chefs knife to open a tin can or using a chefs knife with a hammer behind it to cut bones PICK THE CLEAVER UP THATS WHAT IT IS FOR!!!

Still perhaps for the sake of business it is better to keep quiet about all but the most obvious things except and this is more for home cooks wipe the blade clean straight away and dry it its a pretty dangerous thing in either a sink or washing up bowl.

Sorry about the ramblings!

tuffy braithwaite
    Participant
    • Topics: 184
    • Replies: 360

Okay guys we have had a lot of engineering of design, IT, set up of Farmer’s Market (thank you Tuffy),but how do you guys market yourselves? :huh: My former life was sales. Before that I was an “old school butcher” we butchered beef, lamb, veal… that’s were I learned to sharpen a knife. So as a salesman I’m always looking for a “gimmick” to keep my name handy?
    We know people are going ask “how much” or are you “always here”? How about a little something with your name and number they might read?
    Last night I had a ah ha moment and thought of a Do’s and Don’t Flier. I have attached the example and would love your input for more do’s and more don’ts? And really any other idea you might have?
    Thank you,
    Eamon

Edit: Sorry guys when I attached the flier I thought it would just open? I guess I don’t know how to do that

i am thinking – stand by

Eamon Mc Gowan
    Participant

Thank you,
    Eamon

i am thinking – stand by[/quote]

Thank you Tuffy! I admire your real world experience as a knife sharpener 😉 I am very curious as to your thoughts? :whistle:

cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

Maybe it’s just me, but the way you have it formatted now, it looks like a list of do’s and don’ts for dull knives.

On my list, I had something like… a sharp knife will cut better than you expect, so be aware of what’s behind what you’re cutting. Don’t cut with any part of your body in front of the edge.

I also had: a knife is designed to cut, not to pry, hammer, or turn screws. 🙂

Eamon Mc Gowan
    Participant

Maybe it’s just me, but the way you have it formatted now, it looks like a list of do’s and don’ts for dull knives.

On my list, I had something like… a sharp knife will cut better than you expect, so be aware of what’s behind what you’re cutting. Don’t cut with any part of your body in front of the edge. :unsure:

I also had: a knife is designed to cut, not to pry, hammer, or turn screws. 🙂

Curtis, thank you so much that is exactly the feedback I am looking for!! :woohoo: as I’ve said before my written communication skills suck!! :S
    Please anybody and everybody don’t be scared of hurting my feelings! please suggest your ideas!! I will tear it apart and start over if necessary. :unsure: I am off site today and using my phone on breaks. So please use today for all comments.
    Thank you
    Eamon

Jed Bowen
    Participant
    • Topics: 8
    • Replies: 57

As far as it goes marketing yourself for this so far the farmers market is great for me. The part of that kind of gig is important is being reliable and being there weekly when you say you will be. There is also Craigslist, local paper, word of mouth your local sports/hunting store, gun ranges, police, sheriff, EMT, and firefighters, flyers, flea market and YouTube. There are a few knife guys on YouTube that get people sending in knives to sharpen. I have done all but YouTube and Craigslist as far as marketing. The reliability of being at the farmers market week after week is paid off the best. And as Tuffy says you also get homework from that to keep you busy until the next market. I also have a email and phone list of my customers that I call and send out to remind them to bring in the knives. My next gimmick is to do a stamp/punch system to sharpen 10 and get 1 free to help get more business.

Eamon Mc Gowan
    Participant

Hi Jed,
    Thank you for writing that all out for me! The Local LEO I do their duty weapon no charge. The gimmick is I am seeing their kitchen knives in return for regular a fee.
    I completely forgot about the “buy 10 get 1”? though? Heck that worked for Subway for a very long time. I just don’t know if my fast paced, high stress. Wall Street big business could handle all the extra traffic? :S :whistle: 😆
    Thanks again!

Jed Bowen
    Participant

My job as a Respiratory Therapist allows me plenty of time to do work on the side. It is great I work 3 days on 4 days off, but my days are 12 hours long plus 2 hours of commuting so not much else gets done those days. I do the same with the LEO’s sharpen their duty knives for free and in turn get their kitchen knives for my normal fees. The outdoors store is where I have not seen a return on my time from yet. The customers show up for a sale at the store and get a cheap sharpening but only a couple of them have returned for more sharpening jobs. With that gig I only went up to the 600 grit and left it at that. The sharpen 10 and get one free I just started and the customers are seeming to respond to that idea. Hell everyone likes something free well at least I do.

I just do this for fun so everyone can have a sharp knife. It also helps out with buying more WE accessories, guns and knives. I get some cash in and buy a new table or more business cards or new signage and so on as it slowly grows.

As for the do’s and dont’s I can agree with what is on your flyer and “use the right tool for the right job” is always a good one as stated before.

Eamon Mc Gowan
    Participant

I just do this for fun so everyone can have a sharp knife. It also helps out with buying more WE accessories, guns and knives. I get some cash in and buy a new table or more business cards or new signage and so on as it slowly grows.

As for the do’s and dont’s I can agree with what is on your flyer and “use the right tool for the right job” is always a good one as stated before.

Jed,
    We have the same motives. I am the chief bottle washer for the biggest public range on the Central Coast of California. I live and work on the range. Almost all my work comes from other shooters.If it pays for any of the above I’m just tickled! Cause honestly I would sharpen the knives anyways, but don’t tell them! 😆

Jed Bowen
    Participant

I graduated from Santa Maria High School in 1994 and Used to hang out in SLO quite often. When I was there the only place we used to shoot was out HYW 155 heading out from Santa Maria to Bakersfield in a valley or out on some ranchers property. Good to hear that there is a big range there. If I go back home I will defiantly have to stop in to say hello then talk guns and knives. I so miss the Central Coast often then I remember how much things cost back there, then I do not miss it as much.
    I also miss the days of working on the gun range here in Ga. Hell getting paid to shoot and help others shoot was a great gig.
    Glad to know our motives are the same as I am sure they are the same for most of us here.

Eamon Mc Gowan
    Participant

I graduated from Santa Maria High School in 1994 and Used to hang out in SLO quite often. When I was there the only place we used to shoot was out HYW 155 heading out from Santa Maria to Bakersfield in a valley or out on some ranchers property. Good to hear that there is a big range there. If I go back home I will defiantly have to stop in to say hello then talk guns and knives. I so miss the Central Coast often then I remember how much things cost back there, then I do not miss it as much.
    I also miss the days of working on the gun range here in Ga. Hell getting paid to shoot and help others shoot was a great gig.
    Glad to know our motives are the same as I am sure they are the same for most of us here.

PM sent

Tom Whittington
    Participant
    • Topics: 4
    • Replies: 159

This is a really great idea, and I can’t believe I missed this thread! When I first started gunsmithing I whipped up a flier that had a large, important looking notice across the top similar to those you see when buying used guns or at auction telling the buyer to have the gun checked by a competent gunsmith. The hook was “have you ever seen this message before?” and that now they knew where to find a competent gunsmith 🙂

I also included a couple of coupons on the flyer but honestly have never had one used in three years… go figure. I doubt coupons would do much for a sharpening gig, but maybe as mentioned earlier a volume discount of sorts could be a draw!

Eamon Mc Gowan
    Participant

This is a really great idea, and I can’t believe I missed this thread! When I first started gunsmithing I whipped up a flier that had a large, important looking notice across the top similar to those you see when buying used guns or at auction telling the buyer to have the gun checked by a competent gunsmith. The hook was “have you ever seen this message before?” and that now they knew where to find a competent gunsmith 🙂

I also included a couple of coupons on the flyer but honestly have never had one used in three years… go figure. I doubt coupons would do much for a sharpening gig, but maybe as mentioned earlier a volume discount of sorts could be a draw!

Apex your a marketing guy, can you help me think up a few more do’s and don’ts? :unsure:
    By the way thank you very much!! :woohoo:

Tom Whittington
    Participant
    • Topics: 4
    • Replies: 159

I’ll put some thought into it over the weekend, and could work on a template with some of the info we compile as the copy text so folks can tweak or rework it however they like but don’t have to design it from scratch.

Maybe a quick list of “did you know?” type things that aren’t especially common knowledge, like Clay’s findings that an expertly sharpened knife actually cuts cleaner and extends the shelf life of produce versus a dull knife. Little things like that help; people will look at them and realize maybe there’s more to having a sharp knife than the possibility of nicking themselves with it 🙂 Some other things that I have on my sharpening page of my website include properly sharpened blades staying sharper for longer, being able to tune the angle and finish for your usage, etc.

Personally my sharpening hangup flyer at these flea markets and such has a giant bold heading asking potential customers “HOW SHARP IS YOUR KNIFE?”. You’d be surprised how few people can answer that, and how many more think a butter knife is adequately sharp! Attention grabbers are a great way to at least get people to take a look, and like I mentioned in another thread actually being there sharpening something (even if it’s a dollar store made in china kitchen knife you bought just to wreck over and over) will help draw attention too.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.