Advanced Search

Does anyone supply Sleeves for their customers??

Recent Forums Main Forum Sharpening as a Business Does anyone supply Sleeves for their customers??

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    tuffy braithwaite
    Participant
    • Topics: 184
    • Replies: 360

after the first week in may working the farmers fare, i found out that 99% of the knives came to me loose, wrapped in towels or in bags of some sort.

so, i ordered some from Safety Products in mass. – starter package of 50 each per size for 60.00 bucks. i put one on each and every knife sharpen now.

CLAY——U NEED TO GET SOME OF THESE MADE AND ADD WE LOGO AND SELL THEM AS ACCESSORY. would be nice. then i bought a pack of stick on labels from office max: 1″ x 4″ – done deal.

i added some pics of my work tables and set up plus the sleeves.

good luck to everyone – see u sat.
    ps……i think i have the knife sharpening gig pretty much set up for a brand new Whole Foods here. been open about 3 or 4 months – it would be an inside gig…..no umbrella needed….:)

tuffy braithwaite
    Participant

no clue

cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

Do you want your first post in the “Sharpening at Events” thread?

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

after the first week in may working the farmers fare, i found out that 99% of the knives came to me loose, wrapped in towels or in bags of some sort.

so, i ordered some from Safety Products in mass. – starter package of 50 each per size for 60.00 bucks. i put one on each and every knife sharpen now.

CLAY——U NEED TO GET SOME OF THESE MADE AND ADD WE LOGO AND SELL THEM AS ACCESSORY. would be nice. then i bought a pack of stick on labels from office max: 1″ x 4″ – done deal.

i added some pics of my work tables and set up plus the sleeves.

good luck to everyone – see u sat.
    ps……i think i have the knife sharpening gig pretty much set up for a brand new Whole Foods here. been open about 3 or 4 months – it would be an inside gig…..no umbrella needed….:)

Thanks for mentioning it. I’d started the project with our packaging designer and then got swept away by other things. I’ll get back to it though – it’s important.

-Clay

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

Good idea, Tuffy!

I sometimes supply my “customers” with the carton board sayas CKTG sells for $ .50 or so. However, these are one size and one size definitely doesn’t fit all. Something better would really be beneficial. (And a WE logo on them would be – for me and probably for you too – more appropriate.)

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Tom Whittington
    Participant
    • Topics: 4
    • Replies: 159

For non-folders I wrap the edge in one or more folded over business cards for my shop and scotch tape it across the spine. Two birds, one stone! Fitted ones would be better though, I just have other things that are much higher priority right now. Thick card stock does pretty well for short transit.

Daniel maloon
    Participant
    • Topics: 10
    • Replies: 209

I do. I make mine and slap a Sharpening Service sticker them. They look nice, customers like them and they’re cheap/easy
    To make

Peter Nowlan
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 6

I purchased a large roll of foam, it’s for flooring and it’s 19.95 for a huge roll is about 4 feet long so I cut it in 4 X 1 foot rolls.

1. I wrap each blade in paper I purchased from a Japanese ikebana store here, it’s quite beautiful paper and it was only 20 dollars for a large assortment of paper. This doesn’t really provide any measure of safety, it just looks nice.
    2. I then wrap the blade in the foam which protects the blade and individual
    3. I then wrap that in an 8″ x 11″ piece of paper that I’ve mass produced with my business info.
    4. Finally, I wrap a little strip of that same Japanese Paper around the finished package.

So it takes me longer to prepare the knife for return to the customer then it does to sharpen it 🙂 Not really but it’s just something I got started doing. I also hand write on more Japanese memo paper how I sharpened the knife. I tried to include a photo but it likely didn’t work.

If anyone is interested I can try later on.

Eamon Mc Gowan
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 513

I went the route of Tuffy. I ordered a 100 of each and am adding my own label with contact info. WE logo sleeves would be a nice touch.

Leo Barr
    Participant
    • Topics: 26
    • Replies: 812

I am intrigued can you post a picture it sounds unique .
    I use paper leaf binders not all the time but if the knives I receive are inadequately packed then

I cut these down with a Dremmel and if necessary bend them wirh a heat gun and print off a Dymo with my details .

Attachments:
    Mikedoh
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 568

Looks like a great idea to me

Daniel maloon
    Participant
    • Topics: 10
    • Replies: 209

looks nice

Peter Nowlan
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 6

This is my first attempt at including pictures, forgiveness please if it doesn’t work

This is how I wrap the knives, the small memo pad is what i use to write to the customers, thanking them trusting me with their knives.

Leo Barr
    Participant
    • Topics: 26
    • Replies: 812

Thanks for that definitely Japanese inspiration there . Do you do a lot of Japanese knives or are they your particular interest.
    I think that some of the real quality Japanese knives the Honyaki types are rare to come across & I imagine that most owners of those sharpen them themselves although I have started to learn to use Japanese stones for just this sort of instance since if someone has a knife whose value is in excess of 600€ probable going to a couple of 1000€ then they will insist on them been sharpened in a traditional manner rather like sharpening a Samurai sword . So to prep for this I am sharpening at least one knife a day on these stones and since many of the knives I am practicing on are ex cheap serrated knives I start my bevels from scratch including thinning bevels which are the hardest since if the bevel is say 7˚ then a degree out shows although half the battle at the moment is building a muscle memory following an existing bevel is not hard but I have to stretch myself and move out of the comfort zone.
    I am waiting for my WE which I will use on nearly all knives(currently I do the bulk of my sharpening on an EP) but I believe in been prepared for the exceptions and I have no problem in producing very sharp bevels with the Japanese stones but day to day knives should be a little quicker to do with the WE since both sides are been done almost simultaneously and since most knives I get to sharpen are often standard chefs knives with lost bevels the WE will be the best tool for these .

tuffy braithwaite
    Participant

This is my first attempt at including pictures, forgiveness please if it doesn’t work

This is how I wrap the knives, the small memo pad is what i use to write to the customers, thanking them trusting me with their knives.

nice job.

wish i had the time to do something like that…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.