Advanced Search

Does Angle Gauge Cause Loading?

Recent Forums Main Forum Techniques and Sharpening Strategies Does Angle Gauge Cause Loading?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    NorCalQ
    Participant
    • Topics: 54
    • Replies: 149

Since the Angle Gauge is magnetic and may cause metals stones to become magnetized,  I was wondering if that would cause metal bits to stick to the magnetized stones?  Would that promote loading?

Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

I have not experienced the diamond stones becoming magnetized.   I have used 5 different brand digital angle devices.  The one I’m using now has the strongest magnet.  I do see some metal fuzz on the  digital cube, sometimes, that I wipe away.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

1 user thanked author for this post.
    airscapes
    Participant
    • Topics: 19
    • Replies: 367

Have a question about the Wixey cube http://Wixey WR300 Type 2 Digital Angle Gauge with Backlight…

What orientation do you place it in to zero?  If I place it with the magnets down (they are on the bottom) then I have to use the non magnetic side on the stone.  If I flip it on it’s side and zero then the magnet side is correct on one stone and it would need to be flipped over and re-zeroed to use the magnets on the opposite side.  What am I missing or did I buy the wrong cube.. maybe a different model has magnets on all side?

Marc H

I always zeroed it base down and used it with the magnet attaching it to the stone.  I think you’re overthinking it.  These are relative angles we’re setting, relative to the zeroed horizontal position.  As long as every angle you set using the cube is done with the same method and cube /stone placement relative to the clamped knife, it’ll give you consistent angle measurements.

Also…only zero the cube at the beginning.  Do not zero it again while sharpening the knife.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

1 user thanked author for this post.
    airscapes
    Participant

I had expected it it read the angle of the stone from zero not 90  see  photos.. Or maybe there is a key stroke I missed.. only 2 buttons but maybe one has multiple uses.. instructions were not real detailed..

Attachments:
    Marc H

I forgot to tell you, you will have to subtract the readings from 90º when using the bottom magnet. I like the Wixey because it locks in readings quickly and I got consistent repetitive readings.  It lacks the resolution of some more expensive models.  But the wixey’s precision was enough for my purposes.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

airscapes
    Participant

No issue, just wanted to make sure I wasn’t missing something.. holding it against the stone on the side works for direct reading and reads the same as the magnet without the math 😉

Well, not exactly the same .2-3 less.  math it tis!

NorCalQ
    Participant

So, do you think your Wixey cube would magnetize your diamond stones to the point of causing your stones to hold onto tiny metal particles?

• This reply was modified 5 years, 2 months ago by NorCalQ.
    NorCalQ
    Participant

I ask this question because I know that in clock repair, some of the tiny metal parts are very sensitive to magnetic effects.  To prevent any transfer of magnetism, I have to demagnetize my tools, anytime they come in contact with anything magnetic.

Ralph
    Participant
    • Topics: 2
    • Replies: 8

I had the same problem as Airscapes. I have to zero it with the magnet sideways in order to read the angle correctly, but then it only reads one angle correctly. For the other stone, I have to flip the angle cube with the face away from me so I can read the correct angle. It is kind of a pain to do it that way, but I don’t have to do any math. It would be a lot easier if there was an extra button you could press on the angle gauge that would flip the readings so I can just keep the face pointing at me. It took me a while to figure this out. I watched a lot of videos, and none of them mention how to use the angle gauge. Is there a better angle gauge out there that can show the correct angle on both stones without you having to flip the face of the gauge away from you or having to do any math?

airscapes
    Participant

Ralph, you will get used to it. 70=20..  when it gets a little backwards for my brain is when you go down.. 18 = 72.. after a few knives you get the hang of it.

Just zero it with the magnet down and use the magnet.. Not sure which WE model you have, but I have the 120 and followed another posters advice and turned the bar around so there are no detentes for the thumb screw.  Then I used some thread lock to lock the micro adjusters at the half way mark.  Now I just loosen the thumb screw and use the angle gauge to make adjustments.  It is faster then messing with the micro adjuster and the thumb screw, nor the micro adjusters have  come loose while sharpening since.

There are other gauges in the price range but they all suffer from some issue.. read a lot of reviews and questions/answers before I bought the one sold with the WE and there was not  a clear winner.. if you jump to the next or ever higher price range I am sure you can find something that does everything.

NorCalQ
    Participant

So…getting back to the topic I originally wrote…does the magnetic Angle Gauge transfer it’s magnetism to the metal stones and cause metal fragments to be held onto?

airscapes
    Participant

If you have ever magnetized a screw driver to hold a screw you may recall you must drag the magnet from the center of the screw driver to the end with one pole of the magnet.  This will align a temporary magnetic field within the steel allowing the screw driver to pick up or old a screw.

Just attaching the magnet  gauge to a plate would allow the magnetic field to flow from the south to north pole of the magnets mounted in the gauge.  This is what hold that magnet to the steel.  You are not dragging  the magnet on the stone.  So my guess knowing what little I do of magnetism  would be no.  Using the gauge normally  should not leave sufficient magnetism to produce loading of the  stone.    If you are concerned an inexpensive degaussing  can be used to remove any residual magnetism https://www.ebay.com/b/degaussing-coil/bn_7024861917

Some info on magnetizing steel https://www.wikihow.com/Magnetize-Steel

• This reply was modified 5 years ago by airscapes.
    • This reply was modified 5 years ago by airscapes.
    3 users thanked author for this post.
    Marc H

Is there a better angle gauge out there that can show the correct angle on both stones without you having to flip the face of the gauge away from you or having to do any math?

Ralph your description of your digital device sounds like the Wixey Model Angle Cube.  As airscapes says you will get use to it quickly and the math will be second nature.  It does work quite well and it’s faster to lock in then many other comparably priced model. I used it for a long time.

To address your quoted question the Floureon DXL360S IMO, is the best, most accurate and lowest resolution unit out there at this time.  It does have strong holding magnets on all four sides.  It will not cause the steel diamond stones to become magnetized, either. There are similar less expensive models with just slightly lower resolution.  I also have used that model and it works well and holds on the stone securely.

Both of these models, DXL 360S and DXL360 have a more detailed initial calibrating procedure that may be confusing to follow in the product manual.  I watched a YouTube to help make it more clear.  Once initialized and calibrated these both work quite well.  I think the more expensive, red, DXL360S is the top pick for precision and accuracy.  They are USB rechargeable. They hold a charge a very long time.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

4 users thanked author for this post.
    NotSharpEnuff
    Participant
    • Topics: 3
    • Replies: 120

I also use the  Floureon DXL360S angle gauge and find it to be the best/most accurate of several I’ve used.

I have seen no signs of magnetic loading of the swarf but I really haven’t been looking for it.

The accuracy and USB charging got me to buy it.

5 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.