Advanced Search

Does Angle Gauge Cause Loading?

Recent Forums Main Forum Techniques and Sharpening Strategies Does Angle Gauge Cause Loading?

This topic contains 8 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  NorCalQ 02/10/2019 at 2:07 pm.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

NorCalQ
    Participant
    • Topics: 28
    • Replies: 71

Since the Angle Gauge is magnetic and may cause metals stones to become magnetized,  I was wondering if that would cause metal bits to stick to the magnetized stones?  Would that promote loading?

MarcH
    • Topics: 54
    • Replies: 1544

I have not experienced the diamond stones becoming magnetized.   I have used 5 different brand digital angle devices.  The one I’m using now has the strongest magnet.  I do see some metal fuzz on the  digital cube, sometimes, that I wipe away.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-It)

1 user thanked author for this post.

airscapes
    Participant
    • Topics: 3
    • Replies: 22

Have a question about the Wixey cube http://Wixey WR300 Type 2 Digital Angle Gauge with Backlight…

What orientation do you place it in to zero?  If I place it with the magnets down (they are on the bottom) then I have to use the non magnetic side on the stone.  If I flip it on it’s side and zero then the magnet side is correct on one stone and it would need to be flipped over and re-zeroed to use the magnets on the opposite side.  What am I missing or did I buy the wrong cube.. maybe a different model has magnets on all side?

MarcH

I always zeroed it base down and used it with the magnet attaching it to the stone.  I think you’re overthinking it.  These are relative angles we’re setting, relative to the zeroed horizontal position.  As long as every angle you set using the cube is done with the same method and cube /stone placement relative to the clamped knife, it’ll give you consistent angle measurements.

Also…only zero the cube at the beginning.  Do not zero it again while sharpening the knife.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-It)

1 user thanked author for this post.

airscapes
    Participant

I had expected it it read the angle of the stone from zero not 90  see  photos.. Or maybe there is a key stroke I missed.. only 2 buttons but maybe one has multiple uses.. instructions were not real detailed..

Attachments:

MarcH

I forgot to tell you, you will have to subtract the readings from 90º when using the bottom magnet. I like the Wixey because it locks in readings quickly and I got consistent repetitive readings.  It lacks the resolution of some more expensive models.  But the wixey’s precision was enough for my purposes.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-It)

airscapes
    Participant

No issue, just wanted to make sure I wasn’t missing something.. holding it against the stone on the side works for direct reading and reads the same as the magnet without the math 😉

Well, not exactly the same .2-3 less.  math it tis!

NorCalQ
    Participant

So, do you think your Wixey cube would magnetize your diamond stones to the point of causing your stones to hold onto tiny metal particles?

• This reply was modified 1 week, 1 day ago by  NorCalQ.

NorCalQ
    Participant

I ask this question because I know that in clock repair, some of the tiny metal parts are very sensitive to magnetic effects.  To prevent any transfer of magnetism, I have to demagnetize my tools, anytime they come in contact with anything magnetic.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.