Advanced Search

Do these knives fit?

Recent Forums Main Forum Getting Started Do these knives fit?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Thomas
    Participant
    • Topics: 5
    • Replies: 12

Hi there,

I’m just deciding to get a WE Gen 3 Pro and I would like to know if it’s capable to sharpen the knives I use most or if I need the low angel adapter or another accessoire?

20190707_091837
    The knife to the left has an blade length of 21,5cm, the knife to the right 6,5 cm. The blade heigth of the right knife is only 1,5 cm – is this perhaps too narrow?

Is there any of these knives I have to take care of especially while looking for the right clamping position?

Thank you very much,

Thomas

Attachments:
    Organic
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 929

I think all of those knives will fit. The very narrow knives (fillet and paring) might require the use of an obtuse angle to prevent the clamp from getting in the way of the sharpening stones. The low angle adapter can help with that. Also, fillet knives require extra care since they are usually quite flexible, but they can be sharpened.

3 users thanked author for this post.
    Expidia
    Participant
    • Topics: 47
    • Replies: 339

Great choice on the Gen 3 Pro system (I have the same one).

From my personal experience I’d also get a Tormec small knife adapter for around $39 too.  Its great for smaller knives.  The LAA adapter runs around $75 plus shipping and as organic noted its a must for thin blades.  If you get the LAA unless you are ordering all at once WE’s free shipping kicks in after $100.  So if you buy the LAA later on order it with 10 or 12 inch rods as the LAA moves the knife up higher in the OEM jaws.  Rods are around $30 plus shipping so an LAA and a longer set of rods will be over $100 and will ship free. I started with 8 inch rods then went to 10 inchers now I recently ordered the 12 inchers.  Watch the vid below on using the Tormec adapter with the WE system.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mK9Q8xtZosw

https://www.amazon.com/Tormek-TOR-SVM00-Small-Holder-SVM-45/dp/B00CD7X1OA/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=tormek+small+knife+adapter&qid=1562617382&s=hi&sr=1-1

Jeff
    Participant
    • Topics: 3
    • Replies: 40

It really depends on the sharpening angle you want. If they are of a quality of steel and usage that can utilize a lower angle ie. under 15 dps I’d say that there is certainly a few there (guessing #3,4,8) that you will get stone contact with the vice unless you use a low angle adaptor or the tormec holder as others have stated.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Thomas
    Participant
    • Topics: 5
    • Replies: 12

I think all of those knives will fit. The very narrow knives (fillet and paring) might require the use of an obtuse angle to prevent the clamp from getting in the way of the sharpening stones. The low angle adapter can help with that. Also, fillet knives require extra care since they are usually quite flexible, but they can be sharpened.

Thank you for your assessment regarding the knives. So the low angle Adapter and longer rods will add to my shopping list. I’ve read about the “problem” with flexible knives and I saw some interesting solutions. Why hasn’t WE adopted any of them yet?

Thanks Expidia for the links – the tormek Adapter looks nice, too. I’ll look if they are available here in Germany.

Greetings,

Thomas

Richard
    Participant
    • Topics: 14
    • Replies: 183

The smaller knives can be the most challenging in my opinion.  If you do purchase a Tormec (which I did), aligning the knife perfectly using the rubber clamp is not easy compared with using the vice on the WE.  It does work great however, just takes some practice.  The first picture I attached is what Jeff is referring to when he says the stone will contact the vice.  I broke mine in the first week I had it when I didn’t realize that I needed the low angle adapter 😉 The second picture is the Tormec Small Knife Adapter.  You can see how the rubber clamp does secure it to the fixture but getting exactly dead center before beginning your sharpening does take a little time to perfect.

Attachments:
    Expidia
    Participant
    • Topics: 47
    • Replies: 339

The nice thing about the LAA is it does clamp the actual blade which adds stiffness flexible blades need.  Some longer blades you just do in two clamping steps.  Doing the back section  of the blade first and the moving it forward and re-clamping it to do the front section.  I use a small piece of  wood in my hand on the opposite side that Im working to help support the tip.

With the Tormec you mount the blade  loosely in the adapter and lay it flat on the edge of  a table and the metal section that gets clamped aligns with the blade which are both laying flat on the table.   Then you tighten it down before mounting in the WE jaws.  Its a must have item for smaller blades like paring knives etc.

4 users thanked author for this post.
    Richard
    Participant
    • Topics: 14
    • Replies: 183

I should have watched the video on the Tormek web site, that makes complete sense now.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 8 months ago by Richard.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.