Advanced Search

Do new Micro Fine Ceramic Stones (1.4 and .6 micron) need to be lapped?

Recent Forums Main Forum Techniques and Sharpening Strategies Abrasives Do new Micro Fine Ceramic Stones (1.4 and .6 micron) need to be lapped?

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

These stones are the reason I want to come up with a new grit chart that evaluates the scratches left by a given abrasive rather than just grading the particle size. There are too many variables for particle size alone to accurately describe what an abrasive will do to your knife. In addition to the RA for the ceramic stones, there is the hardness and porosity of the substrate with strops, the friability of the abrasive particle in synthetic whetstones and crystalline structure of diamonds and other abrasives both in stones and lapping configurations.

-Clay

3 users thanked author for this post.
    wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

Here’s the data sheet on the white, Micro-Fine Fine stone:

8510-1790-AD-94-9th-St-Materials-Properties-Sheets

It’s interesting that the original crystal size averages 12µ but the structures vary from 2.4µ to as large as 44.8µ. It’s also interesting that the stones are made up of Aluminum Oxide, Silicon Dioxide, Calcium Oxide, Ferrous Oxide, Sodium Oxide and have some Zirconium Oxide in them.

-Clay

Attachments:
    2 users thanked author for this post.
    Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

Thanks, that’s interesting info, Clay. I also completely agree that a “grit chart” based on scratch size would be more useful. But also this won’t be easy: there are scratch width and depth, but not all scratches have the same size. Maybe you could work with average width and variation (particularly for the ceramic stones).

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.