Advanced Search

Dino-Lite and software

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

I have a Dino-Lite 413 USB microscope. However, when I wanted to try it out today things did not well. I first downloaded the driver for the 413 and then the “DINOCAPTURE IMAGING SOFTWARE”, which I then ran. The result was the following screen:

Unfortunately I was not able to view any images or take pictures using this software. Many options were “greyed out”, but there didn’t even seem to be an option to show on the screen what the microscope sees, let alone make photographs.

Also, the lights on my Dino-Lito microscope, which you need to take pictures, were off. Is there something in the software I don’t understand or does this point to a hardware failure?

All help welcome!

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

Marc is it possible the Dino-lite Model Number you referenced, 413, is incorrect?

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

Marc H

Mark I see it’s a discontinued model.  There is a software listed for it, “dnldrv4.exe”  at downloads .  I don’t know if this software is different from what you already have.  You should be able to use any photo software you have on the computer just to verify that the mscope works.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

Mark76
    Participant

Thanks Marc, it’s this one: https://www.dinolite.us/products/am413t . It’s indeed discontinued. Unfortunately I cannot find the software you listed (searching on “dnldrv4.exe” gave not results). Have you got a link for me?

Marc H

Mark, look under downloads on the left column towards the bottom is “Classic Models, 3 digit model numbers, “Dino-lite Pro 411,413, 423, AMH.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Mark76
    Participant

Thanks! I’ll try it tomorrow.

Mark76
    Participant

I just tried it. And… it works! Well, kind of… because it regularly crashes and then even causes a “blue screen of death” (a crash of Windows).

tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

Mark:

Wow!!  I haven’t heard of anybody getting the “blue screen of death” since I switched to Win 7 about six years ago.  Of course, I still get crashes, but they are just frozen mouse pointers and they happen when I’m nowhere near the computer.  They’re easy to clear by doing the three-finger salute (Ctrl-Alt-Del) and selecting “Start Task Manager.”  When it switches back to the Windows screen, the problem is cleared.

Marc H

Mark did you uninstall the first software completely before installing the second one you could download.  There may well be a conflict if you hadn’t.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

Mark76
    Participant

Yup, I first de-installed the old software. I haven’t found a solution yet.

Marc H

I’ve had situations like this where I had to search out and delete any folders, (and contents), still left after the uninstall.  Do a shut-down then start up  of the computer and then try the install again.  Also it’s a good idea to disable any anti-virus and malware software running during install.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

Marc H

Mark, sometimes the wrong, unwanted, drivers are left behind on the hard-drive in an unexpected folder or place during the uninstall and when you do the new install the USB device will just automatically pick and use that wrong, unwanted driver, again.  I’ve had to search it out, find it and manually delete it.  I’ve had situations where I could through the driver update function tab, in the system tree, I’ve been able update to, or replace with the older version, to manually switch it out to the driver version it’s compatible with.  Also with Windows, sometimes it automatically selects a totally different generic driver that it just thinks is the best one to use, that has nothing to do with the installed Dino-Lite drivers, and again I had to manually select and update to the proper driver to force it to use that older proper driver version.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

Mark76
    Participant

Thanks again Mark. But I’m pretty sure the “old” (in fact, newer) driver is gone and that the new one is used. With the old driver, I couldn’t see anything on the screen and the lights of the microscope didn’t work. Now the lights do work and I can see a pretty decent image. It’s just that the software crashes now and then. I also installed the driver and the application on a computer I never used for the microscopy application before and the behavior is the same. In fact, I tried all drivers from the page you linked to, but as to be expected, only the one for the 413 works,

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

Mark,

I think the software you want is the DinoCapture 2.0.

-Clay

Mark76
    Participant

Thanks Clay. That is indeed the application I am using. However, the application needs a driver that is specific for a particular microscope model (or a group of models). That is what we were talking about.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.