Advanced Search

Digital angle measurement

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 38 total)
  • Author
    airscapes
    Participant
    • Topics: 18
    • Replies: 367

If a stone stop is used to hold the stone up so the center of the stone is in contact with the bevel the measurement will be the same each time as the stone sits the way it will when it is sliding

1 user thanked author for this post.
    edgelord
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 6

MarcH, sometimes I let myself fall into the minutiae of the process as I can find it relaxing and fulfilling. But if I’m doing some older daily use kitchen knives I let it slide and ‘good enough’ will do. Thanks for all your details and information, I appreciate your clarity and persistence.

j

MarcH
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2733

Understand the W.E. is simply a manual handtool.  It’s well engineered and precisly machined.  It’s basically a stable, sturdy vise, with two adjustable angle jig attachments.  It’s up to the user, to learn how to operate this handtool to it’s fullest capabilities.  It’s 100% hand-powered, fine tuned and independently controlled by the user.  The way we choose to use it, will be evident in our results.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

Joe
    Participant
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 27

Is anyone using the this igaging angle cube?

Also I just got a WE130, is there some math I need to be doing for blade lean as I read back in this thread? I also noticed when I mounted my vice to the blue base it’s hard to get it perfectly centered, is that normal? I had a clamp with hard plastic pads on it and clamped it to try and hold it perfectly centered while I carefully tightened the screw on the bottom but it’s still a little off, I mean we are talking you can barely feel it with your finger but it’s still off. I guess if I am using an angle cube and micro adjustments that won’t matter anyways?

MarcH

The WE130 using the Gen 3 Vise should clamp the knife self-centering it.  If the knife is ground reasonably symmetrically there should be no lean.  (The clamping lean and corrections needed are a characteristic of the WE100/WE120 Standard Vise setups.)

The inset in the black vise housing and the inset in the blue base should center and align the vise as close as is needed to use the system well.  The angle cube when used properly to set the guide rod will overcome any minor differences you believe there are.

I did use the Igaging digital cube with my first W.E. setup, years ago.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

Joe
    Participant

The WE130 using the Gen 3 Vise should clamp the knife self-centering it. If the knife is ground reasonably symmetrically there should be no lean. (The clamping lean and corrections needed are a characteristic of the WE100/WE120 Standard Vise setups.) The inset in the black vise housing and the inset in the blue base should center and align the vise as close as is needed to use the system well. The angle cube when used properly to set the guide rod will overcome any minor differences you believe there are. I did use the Igaging digital cube with my first W.E. setup, years ago.

what gage are you using now if you don’t mind me asking?

MarcH

I’m using the DXL360S.   The red one. There are many different brand names for the same cube.  I believe they’re all made in China.

Based on specs it offers the best accuracy, resolution and it’s dual axis.

The downside of trying to work at this level of precision is it slows you down while you make all the very small increment micro-angle adjustments while trying to use this instrument to it’s fullest capabilities.  The precision afforded by the WE sharpeners invites us “perfectionists” to attempt to work at this level.  W.E. perfectionists tend to find displeasure and shortcomings in our results when instruments show how we are off a minutiae.  Don’t get caught up in this.

To be clear it doesn’t matter whether your knife’s actual bevels are sharpened at 17.03°, 17.11°, or 16.97°.  The knife is still profiled to a 17° bevel.  What matters, that is, what makes the knife edge sharp is how precisely or keenly the bevels are, that is flat and smooth, and how well they intersect at the apex.

You need to learn to use and work well with your cube, first.  That’s what is important.  Not which cube model you use or it’s specs.  Using a more precise cube will not make your edges sharper.  Effort exercised, consistency and a attention to details are what make for a sharp edge.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

NotSharpEnuff
    Participant
    • Topics: 3
    • Replies: 120

I also use the  DXL360S  , besides the precision it is re-chargeable via USB.  I don’t have to worry about changing batteries.

Ed K.

Joe
    Participant

I also use the DXL360S , besides the precision it is re-chargeable via USB. I don’t have to worry about changing batteries. Ed K.

Nice, I have the igage coming tomorrow but I may just return it and order the DXL360S.

Joe
    Participant

I also use the DXL360S , besides the precision it is re-chargeable via USB. I don’t have to worry about changing batteries. Ed K.

so I got the DXL360S and thought maybe I should try to calibrate it even though they probably did that at the factory, I tried the level calibration, did step 1, spun it 180 for step 2 and it says wrong direction or something an flashes the message but then acts like it wants to go to the next step, I tried turning it 180 in both directions. Is this normal or have you not tried to calibrate yours? Should I just not worry about it? I haven’t dropped it and I don’t think it’s been in extreme temps but who knows, it came in the mail, I think it did come from the local amazon warehouse though.

MarcH

Joe you should calibrate it before you use it.  Do the factory reset first then try again…

I am attaching a download of the procedure.  Use it even if the version is not the same as your model. Try to use this starting on page 15, for the red cube.

DXL360S-v2-Dual-Axis-Digital-Protractors

Do it the first time with it still is off, as a dry run.  Then you’ll have the time you need to match your device in your hands with the pictures in the instruction manuals.  I found it hard to do the calibration with the manual mine came with, also.  This down loaded manual seem to make it easier for me.  That, plus taking the time at first to familiarize myself with what I was going to be expected to do.

That is to place it in a series of positions and rotate it into positions made sequentially with the device in different orientations and planes, step after step.  You are rotating the cube slowly with your finger tips, through these motions, usually 180° around that axis, while the cube still rests or stands flat on the table…. you’re not spinning it like a top!   Slowly and deliberately turn it this way then stop, then slowly and deliberately rotate it that way, then stop. step by step as it beeps.

It took me several dry runs till I figured it out.  It seems it must be translated from Chinese.

There are You Tube Videos you can watch but they’re all in Chinese. LOL

Have fun.  You won’t have to do it again unless you do the factory reset.

BTW it keeps a battery charge for a long time….months.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

Joe
    Participant

Joe it should be calibrated. Do the factory reset and try again… I am attaching a download of the procedure. Try to use this starting on page 15. DXL360S-v2-Dual-Axis-Digital-Protractors

It probably is calibrated I was just gonna do it again for giggles lol. I’ll check this guide.

MarcH

Read my post again, I edited it for clarity!

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

Joe
    Participant

Read my post again, I edited it for clarity!

I figured it out, it’s giving you a warning right after a step that you aren’t in the correct position for the next step, funny haha. I’m squared away, I was playing with zeroing, this unit is very sensitive, you’ll see all 0’s for a second then it will kinda bounce between all zeroes and like .01, .02 back to 0, a little annoying but I guess that is what you get with all of the accuracy and sensitivity. I do like that it measures from 90 degrees no matter which side you you flip it.

MarcH

. The downside of trying to work at this level of precision is it slows you down while you make all the very small increment micro-angle adjustments while trying to use this instrument to it’s fullest capabilities. The precision afforded by the WE sharpeners invites us “perfectionists” to attempt to work at this level.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

2 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 38 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.