Advanced Search

Diamond Stone Maintenance

Recent Forums Main Forum Techniques and Sharpening Strategies Diamond Stone Maintenance

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Dennis Hibar
    Participant
    • Topics: 9
    • Replies: 99

Okay, still practicing and learning. Have a question I couldn’t find addressed here. Maybe because it is because it falls into that common sense category. But …. I have to ask anyway. What kind of maintenance should be done on the diamond stones? I know how and when to clean ceramics … since my early experience with sharpening was with a Sharpmaker. Should, and if so, how often … and how are the diamond stones be cleaned? I have read what with bench stones, rinsing under water after each use is recommended and periodic cleaning with a brush and water is called for. I would assume that some type of cleaning true for the WE stones. How often and what is the recommended method? Thanks.

David
    Participant
    • Topics: 14
    • Replies: 47

I clean mine with some warm water, dish soap and a scrub brush. I cleaned mine when I could rub my finger on the stone and get a decent amount of filings wiping off the stone. Then I just put them on a towel and let them dry overnight.

Dennis Hibar
    Participant

Thanks. My initial thought before posting this question was that if cleaned regularly with water and left to air dry …. they might start to rust over time. Then, I got to thinking that most diamond bench stones can be used wet or dry … and most that are used wet are recommended to be used with water rather than oil. I have found instances of rust forming on stones reported on various sharpening forums … but that seems to be attributed to filings left on the stones (and in most of those cases, the reports were from sharpening wood carving tools … so it is probably tool material specific). I may try just brushing them off after each use, then washing as needed.

Ziggy
    Participant
    • Topics: 11
    • Replies: 177

I’ve had good luck using a stiff brush, some Soft Scrub/water in a bowl to dip in, then rinse with warm water.
    I then simply stand them up in the dish rack to drain and dry.

One thing I learned not to do is soak them in a hot solution ….. it softens the glue and had a ceramic pop off.

Dave Schur
    Participant
    • Topics: 7
    • Replies: 39

Yep, I just scrub in some barkeepers friend (cause I have it sitting around, I wouldn’t go out and get it just for this – just use dishsoap) and then let air dry. I Do it every 10-20 knives or so, really just to keep the dust/dirt down.

I do the same for the ceramics.

Dennis Hibar
    Participant

Again, thanks all. I have plenty of Barkeepers Friend around … which I have used on ceramics. Also have a couple bottles of Soft Scrub under the sink …. so think I am set.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.