Advanced Search

Diamond spray on kangaroo how often?

Recent Forums Main Forum Stropping Diamond spray on kangaroo how often?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Expidia
    Participant
    • Topics: 47
    • Replies: 339

I just ordered the kangaroo strops, .50mu diamond spray &.25mu diamond spray.

There are a lot of stropping threads, so I’ll just ask this to save time . . .

Do I have to re-spray the strops at each sharpening session or can I go a few knives without re-loading the strops?

Thx

Expidia
    Participant

Where is Borat when I need him 🤔

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

You can definitely go a few sessions without adding more spray. Just let your results guide you – if you feel like the strops aren’t as efficient as they were, you can add a little more spray.

-Clay

3 users thanked author for this post.
    Expidia
    Participant

What have users found to be a better way of applying the spray material to the strop?  I’ve watched youtubes on it and they were messy too.

At $25 a bottle seems very wasteful in overspray when spraying onto the strop as the spray head gets 1/2 on my hand of the expensive grey liquid.

Any tips from users.  Maybe a small paint brush?  I’m leaning to using a paste form once I run out of the spray.  A paste seems easier to apply with just your finger.  The spray seems like I might get an uneven clumpiness onto the strops and since this is my final step I could be imparting fianl scratches just from diamond clumps even though I’m at .025 as the final strop.

Organic
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 929

I have applied the emulsions by pumping it directly onto the strops (no distance between the nozzle and the strop surface) in a glob and then I spread it onto the strop surface by rubbing the two strops together. It works out okay and there is no risk of over-spray.

4 users thanked author for this post.
    Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

I do it the same way.  Keep the sprayer right up close or touching the leather.  It only takes about three or four little dollops to spread and cover the entire strop completely.  I prefer the spray emulsion to the paste. It feels better when stropping and seems to last longer than the pastes.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

3 users thanked author for this post.
    Expidia
    Participant

ya, that putting the spray head right on the strop and spray 3 quick blobs across and quickly spread out with my finger worked better than spraying it on.  thx

will try the rubbing together too.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    sksharp
    Participant
    • Topics: 9
    • Replies: 408

I think one or two spritz is enough. The more you use your strops the less you have to apply the compound as it works into and actually becomes part of the leather. Even after cleaning, the strop is retaining some compound. Generally I wouldn’t apply compound (emulsions) until I’ve done 10 to 20 knives, 5 to 10 for the pastes. I scrape the strop with the back of a butter knife and then re-apply. All I want is to get rid of built up metal. Let the result dictate how often is a good rule but I think most folks use more compound than they really need to. Before anyone takes offense …. just an opinion!

1 user thanked author for this post.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.