Advanced Search

Diamond &Ceramic Plates – Microscope progression

Recent Forums Main Forum Techniques and Sharpening Strategies Diamond &Ceramic Plates – Microscope progression

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 38 total)
  • Author
    Jende Industries
    Participant
    • Topics: 14
    • Replies: 342

People have been asking about jumps to the Shapton and Chosera stones from the WEPS 800/1K diamond plates and 1200/1600 ceramic plates. Most of what I’ve written up to this date evolves around the stock 600 as the leaping off point, as it is the highest grit in the package when you purchase your WEPS.

The micron chart used to compare the WEPS, Shaptons and Chosera stones is a very loose guide at best – it only compares abrasive sizes, and does not reveal the maximum results each medium can achieve due to the vast number of combinations of technique, types of scratches, abrasive breakdown, effects of the binder, etc..

So, I’ve compiled a microscope progression of the 100, 200, 400, 600, 800, 1K diamond plates and the stock 1200/1600 ceramic plates on a knife using my Veho 400.

I will be adding the full Chosera and Shapton Progressions in the next couple of weeks.

It is my hope that this will help visually explain the differences between the choices available for the WEPS.

You can see the Stock diamond and ceramic progression here[/url].

Keep in mind that I am a perfectionist 😉

Enjoy!

Leo James Mitchell
    Participant
    • Topics: 64
    • Replies: 687

Your post is very important and contains information that many memebers will be asking about over and over again. I am going to make this post a sticky so it won’t get lost.
    Thank you for this and all the wisdom you generously give Tom. Very much appreciated sir.

Best regards
    Leo

Lukas Pop
    Participant
    • Topics: 10
    • Replies: 109

Hi Tom,

nice post, but I’m not sure about the difference between scrubbing and sweeping motions (Maybe it’s clear, but English isn’t my native language). Does scrubbing mean up and down and sweeping only up, or is there other difference? Thank you.

Best regards
    Lukas

Leo James Mitchell
    Participant
    • Topics: 64
    • Replies: 687

Hi Tom,

nice post, but I’m not sure about the difference between scrubbing and sweeping motions (Maybe it’s clear, but English isn’t my native language). Does scrubbing mean up and down and sweeping only up, or is there other difference? Thank you.

Best regards
    Lukas

Hi Lukas
    A good question! Scrubbing is up and down movement usually with some pressure. Sweeping is a lighter movement up from front to back and/or up from back to front or alternatly both. If you watch one of Clay’s videos you will see him use the alternating sweep most often and probably so do most of us. Scrubbing is particularly useful when raising a burr.
    Having said this, maybe Tom will jump in and add more or correct me if I have erred.

All the best Lukas 🙂
    Leo

DrMatt
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 18

Great post Tom. This is the kind of visual that feeds my OCD. Well done. I’m eager to see the difference on the whetstone pics because I know you have nothing but time on your hands to do this!;)

Lukas Pop
    Participant

Thank you Leo! It’s much more clear to me now. I have found following video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8AhORpCmJqA . I think that in the time about 3:30 you can see nice scrubbing motion.

Kind regars
    Lukas

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

Great pictures, Tom! I can see you’re good at fiddling B) and can be patient.

Also very instructive. It’s not just the pictures, but also you telling us what to pay attention to. Looking forward to the photographs of your results with the Chosera’s and the Shaptons.

Lukas, from the article:

I keep the angles the same, and begin using scrubbing strokes, which are basically straight up and down strokes. Scrubbing cleans up the scratches from the circles, and establishes a very flat bevel angle.

😀

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Lukas Pop
    Participant

Lukas, from the article:

I keep the angles the same, and begin using scrubbing strokes, which are basically straight up and down strokes. Scrubbing cleans up the scratches from the circles, and establishes a very flat bevel angle.

😀

Yes, Mark, but there wasn’t similar explanation of “sweeping”. Then Leo wrote that sweeping is typical motion used by Clay on his videos. So I think it’s clear now. 🙂

Jende Industries
    Participant

Thanks everyone!

I edited the post to explain the sweeping strokes a little more.

These progressions do take time, especially since everyone will see my pictures, so they must be perfect! But they are good quantitative data that will make for some very good discussions and learning. After all, this is all about the journey. B)

BTW – Mark – I was able to tighten the screw on the clip that holds the veho scope to the base. It took out about 90% of the wobble…. I wish I had thought about that sooner! :woohoo:

Mark76
    Participant

These progressions do take time
    [/Quote]Yes, I learned that the hard way. Your explanation of scratches from low-level grits suddenly becoming apparent again at much higher level grits was very informative in that respect. On the other hand, I also learned not to do too much polishing on every grit size. The first knife I did on the WE got beautifully sharp, but it took me five hours! So if you can give any indications about how long you spent grinding/polishing at a particular grit level (or the number of push strokes, or …) that would be very helpful.

[Quote]
    BTW – Mark – I was able to tighten the screw on the clip that holds the veho scope to the base. It took out about 90% of the wobble…. I wish I had thought about that sooner! :woohoo:

Do you mean you don’t take your photographs anymore by setting the microscope directly on top of the blade surface? But instead use the base which you set at, e.g. 1 ” from that blade ? If that is possible, it would be a real improvement what we can do with the Veho.

Jende Industries
    Participant

The WEPS diamond and ceramic progression took about 2 hours with “perfect” documentation. I’ve spent 3-4 hours documenting a progression, especially for the cleaver shave. The Shapton Progression will probably take a while simply because there are 10 stones 🙂

My first knife on the WEPS took about 3 hours. The learning curve, setting the angles with the cube (the most time consuming in the beginning), and just finding my groove took about 10 knives. I still go “slow”, often taking about 1 hour on a knife because I like the idea of perfection when I use a guided sharpening device.

In general, the first grit takes the longest amount of time, and can take anywhere from 2 minutes to 2 hours, depending on the knife. After circles, I do scrubbing on one side until a burr forms, then scrub the other side. Then I’ll do quite a bit of sweeping strokes to really establish that bevel.

On the 200 grits and above, things move faster. scrubbing should only take a few minutes, depending on the knife, and I start sweeping with a little pressure, and gradually ease off – probably about 200 strokes per side.

400 the same quick scrubbing, and probably about 200 or so sweeping. 600 a quick scrub, and I do a lot more sweeping – you really can’t do too much at that level. Again, I start off with some pressure, and ease off towards the end and do many very light strokes to minimize burr formation.

The catch is the faster you go, usually the heavier handed you are, so foe that extra level of perfection, you really do need to slow it down at the end.

On the Choseras and Shaptons, I take my time on the first grit after the WEPS 600 to remove those deeper scratches which are hidden. Then I follow pretty much the same method per stone of scrub/sweep, but I like to maximize the potential of each grit, so I like to do a lot of strokes. Shaptons and Choseras are different, and I usually need to do more on the Choseras than on the Shaptons due to the polish I can get from the Choseras.

As for the veho, I kept the knife in the clamp for all pictures and put the lens right against the blade. When I document razors and other knives outside of the WEPS, the scope always wobbled a great deal. This is what usually adds the hours to the project.

Mark76
    Participant

Thanks Tom, this is EXTREMELY helpful! Glad Leo made this topic sticky, since I suspect many other beginning WEPS users will have similar questions and your information will drastically shorten their learning curves.

As for the veho, I kept the knife in the clamp for all pictures and put the lens right against the blade.

i don’t quite understand this point. Before you wrote that you were able to take better pictures by attaching the microscope much better to its base. But I interpret the words above as that you still put the lens right against the blade. But then you don’t use the base anymore, do you? So what is the added value then of clamping it to the base? What am I missing?

Jende Industries
    Participant

I keep the microscope base attached to the scope at all times and I put the lens of the scope right on the edge of the knife. It doesn’t effect the pictures on the WEPS, but the loose base did swing a bit, making it more cumbersome to control the scope sometimes. The tighteneing of the screw for me will help tremendously when the knife is not clamped, particularly when I do my straight razor progressions.

One drawback of putting the scope right up on the edge is that you can easily chip the edge, especially as you get higher in grits.

I’ll post a picture – tonight I will try to get to more of the progression.

Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

Hey Tom, quick question… I can’t seem to find any info to this effect… when going through the process of sharpening a straight razor I have found that the jump between the 1k stock diamond to the 14m pasted strops is too large… after 500 strokes per side w/ the 14m strop it has not removed any of the scratches. Which leads me to my question, what is the logical progression if I am sticking with all stock stones/strops (i.e. no chosera/shapton stones)? I just ordered the 1200/1600 ceramic stones as an “in-between” before I go to the 14m strops. Any suggestions or should I be good? Thanks for your help!

Joyal Taylor
    Participant
    • Topics: 9
    • Replies: 52

All this Sharpton & Chosera talk is confusing me. So far, here is what I’ve been doing. I’ve been progressing thru the 1000 diamond plates and then polishing with sandpaper, 1000/1500/2000/2500 grit strips temporarily taped to the plates. Then the 5/3/5 micron leather strops. I learned about the sandpaper polishing on YouTube with M0DiFiEDZ, who sharpened and polished a Kershaw Leek on a WEPS. But, I’d like to get away from the sandpaper polishing.

If I upgrade to the Chosera 5k/10k stones, let me see if I understand the progression? After going thru the diamond plates to 1000, I would move on to the ceramic paddles 1200/1600 and then on to the Chosera stones 5k/10k and then the 5/3.5 micron leather strops and finally the .5 micron diamond spray on a leather strop. Is that a logical progression for both sharpness and mirror polish?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 38 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.