Advanced Search

Desktop air purifier

Recent Forums Main Forum Techniques and Sharpening Strategies Abrasives Desktop air purifier

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

While in my shop I use a 3m Breathe Easy Turbo PAPR system to protect my lungs and am very serious about protection as long term exposure can be very serious. I am curious as to some sort of dust management system for inside at my permanent sharpening table. Of course, the easiest way for full protection is to sharpen while keeping your stones wet, but unfortunately I do not always have this liberty as the liquid can stain expensive blades I work on.

Right now, I am thinking about a desktop air purifier at this point, to protect against the shed abrasive diamond particles as well as metal dust. I know some have tried magnets but this would only ‘solve’ half the problem.

Ideas?

tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

Josh:

Have you tried the Swiffer Duster to wipe up the dust with each grit change?  Seems to work really well for me.  I use it to clear any and all dust from the knife before USB ‘scope inspection and I don’t get much build-up around the base.  It’s amazing how well that fuzzy rag picks up all the dirt and dust.

If you’re concerned about airborne particulates generated at the belt sander, that’s another problem entirely.  I wouldn’t have thought that metal dust would become airborne that easily, but I guess there are other materials involved as well.

M1rrorEdge
    Participant
    • Topics: 8
    • Replies: 222

Josh; I have been looking into this recently myself.  I have purchased these new masks (Elipse- P100) which are simply pleasant to use.  One can wear these for long periods of time with little fatigue. (View Link Here).   I wish they made the NBC masks in the military to this standard.   I also have been studying these two systems.    One system is from Jooltool by Anie found (Here- Click to view)   I like it simply because it has a foot pedal and turns off an on quickly upon demand (Hands Free).  The other system is made by Magna-Magtic  (Click Here to View Website)  Both of these system are industrial and should last a long time.  Both are designed for the types of particles we find ourselves in contact with daily while abrading metal.  I use the Swiffer Dusters to clean my work-space and the blades like TCmeyer.  They work pretty well.  Also, have you tried using distilled water for sharpening? The lack of minerals in the water helps to protect the stones and customer tools.  It is used for cleaning because it is seeking to bind to tiny particles.   Distilled water isn’t laden with other minerals like tap water and even bottled water.   I hope that gives you some ideas!

Eddie Kinlen
    M1rror Edge Sharpening Service, LLC
    +1(682)777-1622

Josh
    Participant

Josh: Have you tried the Swiffer Duster to wipe up the dust with each grit change? Seems to work really well for me. I use it to clear any and all dust from the knife before USB ‘scope inspection and I don’t get much build-up around the base. It’s amazing how well that fuzzy rag picks up all the dirt and dust. If you’re concerned about airborne particulates generated at the belt sander, that’s another problem entirely. I wouldn’t have thought that metal dust would become airborne that easily, but I guess there are other materials involved as well.

No I haven’t tried the Swiffer Duster yet Tom, I’ll have to give that a shot and see if it works better than my windex/paper towel method hehe. But what I’m worried about here is the dust shed both from the stones and from the steel when sharpening. You can try this: sharpen a little bit and then hold up a bright led flashlight above the Wicked Edge and you will see stuff floating through the air. That’s what I want to clean as it’s right in my face 🙂

Josh; I have been looking into this recently myself. I have purchased these new masks (Elipse- P100) which are simply pleasant to use. One can wear these for long periods of time with little fatigue. (View Link Here). I wish they made the NBC masks in the military to this standard. I also have been studying these two systems. One system is from Jooltool by Anie found (Here- Click to view) I like it simply because it has a foot pedal and turns off an on quickly upon demand (Hands Free). The other system is made by Magna-Magtic (Click Here to View Website) Both of these system are industrial and should last a long time. Both are designed for the types of particles we find ourselves in contact with daily while abrading metal. I use the Swiffer Dusters to clean my work-space and the blades like TCmeyer. They work pretty well. Also, have you tried using distilled water for sharpening? The lack of minerals in the water helps to protect the stones and customer tools. It is used for cleaning because it is seeking to bind to tiny particles. Distilled water isn’t laden with other minerals like tap water and even bottled water. I hope that gives you some ideas!

Love those masks dude, they look very comfortable and light weight! Unfortunately I have a beard (although if it comes down to my lungs or beard the beard’s got to go!) I am trying to find another option if possible though.

Those dust vacuum’s look great, thanks for the links!! I did find this (check out their video), which looks perfect I’m just not sure on the cost… looking into it.

Distilled water huh? I’ll have to look into it? Would this prevent any staining or oxididation on the blade if it was 1095 or d2 or something? That’s what I’m worried about.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

Josh, that unit looks pretty cool. I remember a long while back a customer brought up the issue and made a little video about it. He was keeping his computer monitor near his sharpening station and noticed that his screen was getting covered in dust. There was a decent discussion about it back then and some of our more scientifically literate members shared that the metal dust could be bad for the lungs but not to worry about the diamond dust because it’s inert. I don’t know the truth of that statement but found it interesting.

You could try coating the flats of the blade in oil to prevent oxidation while using water on your stones. My favorite dust capture is to keep a sponge in a shallow tray with water and dish soap behind the sharpener and occasionally dipping the stones onto the sponge. They foam a little but don’t get so wet that water runs down onto the blade.

-Clay

3 users thanked author for this post.
    Josh
    Participant

Josh, that unit looks pretty cool. I remember a long while back a customer brought up the issue and made a little video about it. He was keeping his computer monitor near his sharpening station and noticed that his screen was getting covered in dust. There was a decent discussion about it back then and some of our more scientifically literate members shared that the metal dust could be bad for the lungs but not to worry about the diamond dust because it’s inert. I don’t know the truth of that statement but found it interesting. You could try coating the flats of the blade in oil to prevent oxidation while using water on your stones. My favorite dust capture is to keep a sponge in a shallow tray with water and dish soap behind the sharpener and occasionally dipping the stones onto the sponge. They foam a little but don’t get so wet that water runs down onto the blade.

Thanks Clay, I have seen you do that and now that you mention it it does make sense to use the sponge method as it only gets the stones damp not soaking (like spraying would). I am not sure on the truth of that statement either, I have always heard that breathing in abrasives is bad though. Thanks for chiming in!

NotVerySharp
    Participant
    • Topics: 33
    • Replies: 56

IF you or a loved one has used a wicked edge sharpener and developed cancer in the last 20 years, please call 1-800-bend-over.   The law firm of Love,You and Jesus would like to help you get the settlement you want.  CALL RIGHT NOW!!!!  TODAY

Dwight Glass
    Participant
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 89

Josh: I use distilled water with my Shapton 120 And 220 then Mineral Oil on the Soft Arkansas, Hard Arkansas and Black Arkansas stones then finish the knife off with Balsa wood. I get a little dust from the Balsa wood after i clean it up with sand paper but that is it. Great topic

tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

IF you or a loved one has used a wicked edge sharpener and developed cancer in the last 20 years, please call 1-800-bend-over. The law firm of Love,You and Jesus would like to help you get the settlement you want. CALL RIGHT NOW!!!! TODAY

I’ve got a structured settlement, but I need cash now.   

M1rrorEdge
    Participant
    • Topics: 8
    • Replies: 222

Josh; This guy is using the P-100 with a beard just fine.  (Click Here). I see no risks to using a diamond abrading tool from time to time without a mask, however, long term exposure like we see commercially sharpening tools must be taken into consideration.  I would rather be wrong on this issue and have spent some money protecting my airway than to be right and not have done anything to protect myself.

Distilled Water;  These statements are from my personal observation, I am not a chemist.  I have read the words of an actual chemist on this forum from time to time, maybe he will “chime in” with his observations.

It is my understanding…. (Distilled water- (Click here for more) is a extremely active cleaner and will pull ions from any surrounding metal, including stainless steel. As de-ionized water contains no ions of its own, it will always look to draw from its immediate surroundings and even the atmosphere.  So, it will leave your blades with a cleaner surface at the microscopic level that is less likely to rust or corrode.

Ordinary “Tap water” and most bottled water contains ions that are the result of dissociating various salt compounds. (Click Here to see a Total Dissolved Solid meter Example).   If you were to wash a board with this water, some of those salts would be left behind as residue as the water evaporates (Just like in a clothing Iron just on a smaller “scale” (Pun intended) . Over time, these salts will react with atmospheric humidity and cause corrosion (Rust-Oxidation) on metal surfaces.

De-ionized water A.K.A Distilled water has been used for the cleaning of metal of all types for a long time.  I would give it a try.

I like the variable speed control of the wall mounted fume extractor. If only we could get all the features in one product (C’est la vie- Such is life) Thanks for sharing.

Eddie Kinlen
    M1rror Edge Sharpening Service, LLC
    +1(682)777-1622

Josh
    Participant

Josh; This guy is using the P-100 with a beard just fine. (Click Here). I see no risks to using a diamond abrading tool from time to time without a mask, however, long term exposure like we see commercially sharpening tools must be taken into consideration. I would rather be wrong on this issue and have spent some money protecting my airway than to be right and not have done anything to protect myself. Distilled Water; These statements are from my personal observation, I am not a chemist. I have read the words of an actual chemist on this forum from time to time, maybe he will “chime in” with his observations. It is my understanding…. (Distilled water- (Click here for more) is a extremely active cleaner and will pull ions from any surrounding metal, including stainless steel. As de-ionized water contains no ions of its own, it will always look to draw from its immediate surroundings and even the atmosphere. So, it will leave your blades with a cleaner surface at the microscopic level that is less likely to rust or corrode. Ordinary “Tap water” and most bottled water contains ions that are the result of dissociating various salt compounds. (Click Here to see a Total Dissolved Solid meter Example). If you were to wash a board with this water, some of those salts would be left behind as residue as the water evaporates (Just like in a clothing Iron just on a smaller “scale” (Pun intended) . Over time, these salts will react with atmospheric humidity and cause corrosion (Rust-Oxidation) in metal surfaces. De-ionized water A.K.A Distilled water has been used for the cleaning of metal of all types for a long time. I would give it a try. I like the variable speed control of the wall mounted fume extractor. If only we could get all the features in one product (C’est la vie- Such is life) Thanks for sharing.

Thanks for the info! I’ll have to pick up some distilled water for sure!

MarcH
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2733

De-ionized water A.K.A Distilled water has been used for the cleaning of metal of all types for a long time. 

Sorry to say, they are not the same. Distilled is made by collecting steam. Deionized is made with electronic charged resins to remove all charged ions. Deionized is what you want to use, not distilled. Deionized is what is used in laboratories.

Marc

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

How do you use this deionized water, particularly to get metal particles from the air? With one of these devices or in another way?

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Organic
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 929

Josh: Have you tried the Swiffer Duster to wipe up the dust with each grit change? Seems to work really well for me. I use it to clear any and all dust from the knife before USB ‘scope inspection and I don’t get much build-up around the base. It’s amazing how well that fuzzy rag picks up all the dirt and dust. If you’re concerned about airborne particulates generated at the belt sander, that’s another problem entirely. I wouldn’t have thought that metal dust would become airborne that easily, but I guess there are other materials involved as well.

No I haven’t tried the Swiffer Duster yet Tom, I’ll have to give that a shot and see if it works better than my windex/paper towel method hehe. But what I’m worried about here is the dust shed both from the stones and from the steel when sharpening. You can try this: sharpen a little bit and then hold up a bright led flashlight above the Wicked Edge and you will see stuff floating through the air. That’s what I want to clean as it’s right in my face M1rrorEdge wrote:

Josh; I have been looking into this recently myself. I have purchased these new masks (Elipse- P100) which are simply pleasant to use. One can wear these for long periods of time with little fatigue. (View Link Here). I wish they made the NBC masks in the military to this standard. I also have been studying these two systems. One system is from Jooltool by Anie found (Here- Click to view) I like it simply because it has a foot pedal and turns off an on quickly upon demand (Hands Free). The other system is made by Magna-Magtic (Click Here to View Website) Both of these system are industrial and should last a long time. Both are designed for the types of particles we find ourselves in contact with daily while abrading metal. I use the Swiffer Dusters to clean my work-space and the blades like TCmeyer. They work pretty well. Also, have you tried using distilled water for sharpening? The lack of minerals in the water helps to protect the stones and customer tools. It is used for cleaning because it is seeking to bind to tiny particles. Distilled water isn’t laden with other minerals like tap water and even bottled water. I hope that gives you some ideas!

Love those masks dude, they look very comfortable and light weight! Unfortunately I have a beard (although if it comes down to my lungs or beard the beard’s got to go!) I am trying to find another option if possible though. Those dust vacuum’s look great, thanks for the links!! I did find this (check out their video), which looks perfect I’m just not sure on the cost… looking into it. Distilled water huh? I’ll have to look into it? Would this prevent any staining or oxididation on the blade if it was 1095 or d2 or something? That’s what I’m worried about.

Unfortunately, I don’t believe that using distilled water in the place of tap water would entirely prevent oxidation on high-carbon steel blades. As I understand it, water itself (not just the ions dissolved in tap water) facilitates the oxidation of iron in the steel. Using distilled water in the place of tap water will slow the process, but it won’t totally prevent it.

Organic
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 929

Distilled Water; These statements are from my personal observation, I am not a chemist. I have read the words of an actual chemist on this forum from time to time, maybe he will “chime in” with his observations. It is my understanding…. (Distilled water- (Click here for more) is a extremely active cleaner and will pull ions from any surrounding metal, including stainless steel. As de-ionized water contains no ions of its own, it will always look to draw from its immediate surroundings and even the atmosphere. So, it will leave your blades with a cleaner surface at the microscopic level that is less likely to rust or corrode. Ordinary “Tap water” and most bottled water contains ions that are the result of dissociating various salt compounds. (Click Here to see a Total Dissolved Solid meter Example). If you were to wash a board with this water, some of those salts would be left behind as residue as the water evaporates (Just like in a clothing Iron just on a smaller “scale” (Pun intended) . Over time, these salts will react with atmospheric humidity and cause corrosion (Rust-Oxidation) on metal surfaces. De-ionized water A.K.A Distilled water has been used for the cleaning of metal of all types for a long time. I would give it a try. 

De-ionized water A.K.A Distilled water has been used for the cleaning of metal of all types for a long time.

Sorry to say, they are not the same. Distilled is made by collecting steam. Deionized is made with electronic charged resins to remove all charged ions. Deionized is what you want to use, not distilled. Deionized is what is used in laboratories. Marc

Deionized water and distilled water are purified differently but can be used interchangeably for many applications. The process of distillation yields higher water purity than deionization but it is more energy intensive and therefore more expensive. In the case we are discussing (cleaning metal dust off of a stone or blade) I would expect them to preform essentially the same. Deionized or distilled water will leave the steel cleaner than using tap water because it will not leave salt residues (often visible in the form of water spots) when it dries.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.