Advanced Search

Depth Key Question

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Jimbo
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 2

Lots of good discussion here which is nice to see. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Dave Schur
    Participant
    • Topics: 7
    • Replies: 39

A great project might be to start building a library of knives with suggested angles and settings in the sharpener.

I think you could do this as a user created database on this forum.[/quote]

As of this morning, the webmaster is starting to create a Knife Wiki for that purpose. The idea is that users can log in and add their knives so it’s constantly growing.[/quote]

Clay, an idea for your webmaster if it’s not too late. Allow a brief area for free-form comments on the settings (twitter length). For example, while I would want to share my Spyderco Navaja settings, I would recommend “In the future I might try clamping this knife in two positions, the second with the handle tilted down and sharpen it like a more like tanto.”. I might have others where I said “bevel came out a bit wide in the front, would move further back on next reprofile.” Likewise I might add on my Paramilitary 2 This setting nailed it, I wouldn’t change a thing.”

I wouldn’t want others to repeat the mistakes I’ve made and it might help to iterate collectively better.

I

CAWalter
    Participant
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 16

With the 3M XHB tape I am using I do remove the release. The strips can sometimes be used again, but doesn’t really matter as it holds the blade really firm and is easy to get the blade vertical in the jaws with this set-up.

CAW

Michael Wagner
    Participant
    • Replies: 4

CAW,

Just did a Google looking for the 3M XHB tape you are referring to but all I can come up with is something called 3M VHB. It appears to be double sided as well but is much thinner (45 mils) than the foam type.

Any thoughts or am I missing something?

Thanks in advance, Mike

CAWalter
    Participant

:blink: Oops, i believe you are correct it is VHB (very high bond) and yes it is not a foam, but more plastic, gel,gum like. Actually thickness without the release measures,.045″. You found it despite my poor description.

CAW

Michael Wagner
    Participant
    • Replies: 4

CAW,
    Please don’t be so hard on yourself. Without your post, many of us would probably never know that this product existed. As for myself, I was only able to find the VHB designation because my Google search offere it up as a alternative search!

Have a great day and thanks once again, Mike

Dave Schur
    Participant
    • Topics: 7
    • Replies: 39

FWIW, I’ve just been using the cheap white foam double sided tape (not removing the side facing the knife) that you get at a grocery store (no particular brand). Seems to work great for me, and I use very thin strips (say 3/16″).

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

FWIW, I’ve just been using the cheap white foam double sided tape (not removing the side facing the knife) that you get at a grocery store (no particular brand). Seems to work great for me, and I use very thin strips (say 3/16″).

That’s the same stuff I’m using (Scotch Brand – made by 3M) and it works great. We have a lot of the VBH here, used to bond the diamond stones to the paddles, awesome stuff depending on which formulation you get but WAY too sticky to be used that way, too much work to peel it off the jaws afterward.

-Clay

CAWalter
    Participant

That’s the same stuff I’m using (Scotch Brand – made by 3M) and it works great. We have a lot of the VBH here, used to bond the diamond stones to the paddles, awesome stuff depending on which formulation you get but WAY too sticky to be used that way, too much work to peel it off the jaws afterward.[/quote]

That hasn’t been a problem for me at all. The 3M VHB, 1″ wide and .045″ thick cut an 1/8″ long or so and going across the jaw at the top comes off quite easily. It will most often come off on the blade and then just roll an edge and come right off in one piece. I put the ones that haven’t stuck to themselves on the base and reuse. When this material compresses it gets out of the way at a point, but is also firm in the void areas. tightening so the jaws are parallel assures the jaw tips are equal. A variety of resilient materials will work as well.

CAW

Dennis Hibar
    Participant
    • Topics: 9
    • Replies: 99

As of this morning, the webmaster is starting to create a Knife Wiki for that purpose. The idea is that users can log in and add their knives so it’s constantly growing.

Any update on this? It’s a great idea for new WE users. I would imagine that seasoned users get to the point where they can set up knives by eye. Anyway, if plans for the Knife Wiki fall through, I would be more than willing to collect, compile, update and post such a settings DB (probably best in pdf format sorted by knife make/model. Thoughts?

Jamie Baldwin
    Participant
    • Topics: 6
    • Replies: 31

I’ve found that by using a small piece of upholstery leather works great. Cut a small rectangular strip of the leather, place the blade into the “pocket” of the rough side of the lether and place knife in the clamp. The “finished” or glossy side of the leather along with the blade held between the “rough” sides provides a strong hold when clamped. You can also double the thickness of the leather for FFG. Works like a charm for me so far and the blade is protected from any scrapes.

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.