Advanced Search

Deburring

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Glen
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 12

I’m questioning the method or need for deburring with the WEPS.
    I had been reading about the importance of deburring on some of the knife forums.
    Always wishing to improve I got the felt pads and saved some cork from wine bottles and had at it.
    I don’t think I’ve improved my edges, in fact I think they may be less sharp than before.
    Any one have experience with this?
    I’ve been cutting into the felt and cork while still clamped, moving the felt or cork instead of the knife.
    Should I skip the deburring with the WEPS?

Glen

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

I’m questioning the method or need for deburring with the WEPS.
    I had been reading about the importance of deburring on some of the knife forums.
    Always wishing to improve I got the felt pads and saved some cork from wine bottles and had at it.
    I don’t think I’ve improved my edges, in fact I think they may be less sharp than before.
    Any one have experience with this?
    I’ve been cutting into the felt and cork while still clamped, moving the felt or cork instead of the knife.
    Should I skip the deburring with the WEPS?

Glen

There is no need to deburr the knife. The burr will be gradually whittled away by the alternating strokes. At a very fine, microscopic level, there will still be a wire edge present, but it will minute and properly aligned.

-Clay

David
    Participant
    • Topics: 14
    • Replies: 47

Hi Glen,
    What I have been doing and have had good success with is I will start out with edge leading strokes untill I feel and see the scratch pattern starting to change then I will deburr on cork, and follow up with a few edge trailing trokes(like 10 or so) before switching stones. I may be overdoing it some but my edges definetly seem to have improved by doing this. I also lighten up on the pressure a lot once I get to the edge trailing strokes on the 1000 grit paddles. Since that is the highest progression of stones I have right now I go onto stropping from there but dont do any deburring once I get to the strops as it really shouldnt be needed by that time.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.