Advanced Search

D2

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Geocyclist
    Participant
    • Topics: 25
    • Replies: 524

Who has experience with D2 on the WE?

I have a Benchmade 940 in D2 (a 3.4″ folder with 0.12″ thick) . Specifically I am wondering how acute I can take the edge? I have heard D2 does not take a fine edge compared to other high end steels. Can it take 15 degrees?

Robert Nash
    Participant
    • Topics: 5
    • Replies: 164

Can’t help with how well it will hold as fine as 15 degrees or lower as I don’t actually have any D2 in my collection and have only done them for others at shows where I have matched what was on the knife – usually at 20-24 per side. I do see one D2 entry in the knife data base at 21 per side – DPX gear Hest 1.0. I would be willing to give it a try as I expect it could do well at 15 – hopefully someone has tried it out. 🙂
    The one thing I would say, is that in my experience D2 can be deceptive in raising a burr. It will feel as if you have a great burr created and then you’ll get up to 600 and won’t have an edge – or at least not an edge that bites the way you expect it to with the Wicked Edge – and you have to back up and start over. So I always raise a strong burr, one that will actually catch on my finger nail strong enough that it will stop my finger as I slide it from the spine up and off the edge.
    Look forward to hearing other peoples’ experiences, and how it goes if you try for 15

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

I have a Benchmade 940. I’m just not sure it’s made of D2. (I think they sell it in S30V, too.) I bought it second hand and don’t have the box. But FWIW, it put a 17 degree edge on it and it holds that beautifully.

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

Who has experience with D2 on the WE?

I have a Benchmade 940 in D2 (a 3.4″ folder with 0.12″ thick) . Specifically I am wondering how acute I can take the edge? I have heard D2 does not take a fine edge compared to other high end steels. Can it take 15 degrees?

I’d say just give it a try… if it didn’t work you could always put a microbevel on it… and you’d still end up with a great cutter having thinned behind the edge.

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

Just checked it. My 940 is indeed made of S30V. But I think Curtis gave excellent advice.

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

I have a benchmade bone collector in d2 (rc 60-62) that I currently have a 17*/side edge on…. It holds a GREAT edge and does not chip out or roll very easy. So I feel confident in telling you that at least 17*/side should be fine 🙂

Phil Pasteur
    Participant
    • Topics: 10
    • Replies: 944

Agreed. I got a couple of the Kershaw Rakes (thanks for the tip Curtis) in composit with D2 edge. I used 17 degrees per side. The D2 takes a great edge and seems pretty tough. I think Kershaw also claims Rc 60-61. The rake has been in my EDC rotation for about 6 weeks being used moderately (lots of cardboard, tape, plastic banding material, stripping wire, food prep… for a couple of days per week. The edge has not suffered a bit (using a 10X loupe) and still shaves arm hair nicely.

Geocyclist
    Participant

Thanks to all. 🙂

Fred Hermann
    Participant
    • Topics: 30
    • Replies: 188

I have a Kershaw Leek with aa D2 edge, that I’ve carried for a few years.
    I’ve put it to pretty harsh use, never chipped the edge or rolled it. I fiddle with the angle, but I keep mine between 16-20 degrees, I’ve reprofiled a few times, so its got lots of wear.
    I think the only time I had problems was box cutting, I cut thru (yes all the way)one of those heavy staples and left a flat spot which easily polished out.
    I think Kershaw claims this one is Rc62.
    But D2 is good stuff.

Chet Parks
    Participant
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 9

My “go to” hunting/kitchen knives are KOA Jaeger boneing and Cub Bear. Both D2, both sharpened to 17 degrees. They get a lot of use piercing food packaging, working around bones etc. They take a great edge and polish nicely. Vary satisfied
    Chet

Geocyclist
    Participant

Thanks guys. The D2 Benchmade 940 is up next in the vise. (unless I get side tracked by some kitchen knives.

Brently White
    Participant
    • Topics: 3
    • Replies: 4

I have a benchmade mini griptilian with D2 and it took the 15 degree edge very well. Push cut 550 pages on a phone book.

James Bare
    Participant
    • Topics: 5
    • Replies: 20

I sharpened a couple of my D2 blades to 17 and 18 degrees per side and haven’t had any issues. I just matched it to the bevels I had and haven’t experimented with thinner edges since they cut great at the angle they are at right now.

I also just sharpened my BM 940, it had been sharpened several times before with my previous sharpener and matching the angles on my weps it came out to 21 per side with it clamped at b.5 in the top holes. I also took the thumbstud out. I clamped it more towards the handle by the flat spot on the blade for a more secure hold because of the way the back of the blade is ground.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.