Advanced Search

Cutting Arkansas and other stones

Recent Forums Main Forum Suggestion Box Cutting Arkansas and other stones

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Danny
    Participant
    • Topics: 11
    • Replies: 26
    1. Just wondering if anyone here has cut down Arkansas stones and other wet stones,  oil stones to fit blanks for the WE. I was thinking of buying some other stones to cut down to put onto blanks to give me more choices to choose from.  If so, can you cit it using a tile saw or is there another way to do it?
    tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

Josh of Razor Edge Knives, a long-time member of this forum talked about this a while back.  I understood that you can cut sharpening stones on a tile saw.  You just need to come up with a way to hold the stones securely.   Not sure, but I think you can rent a saw from one of the home stores, like Home Depot or a flooring/tile store.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    airscapes
    Participant
    • Topics: 19
    • Replies: 367

No experience with cutting sharpening stones  other than the old oil stone my grand father had which I dropped and broke for him as a child:-(

That said, my wet saw cuts granite, brick, ceramic, marble and concrete, fairly sure it will cut any stoneish material.  Just like a any saw, you will loose all the material within the kerf of the blade so a smaller saw  (7″ vs 12″) may have a thinner blade.  If you don’t own one, you can rent one or maybe call around to tile stores and see if they may have one on site and be willing to cut them for a fee.

The other option is a tile blade on an angle grinder and cut them dry, would be much more difficult to hold the stone and cut it straight but might work if you are careful and take your time.  (not as safe as a wet saw, use common sense and your knowledge of your own abilities)

Good luck!

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Danny
    Participant
    • Topics: 11
    • Replies: 26

That was my thinking also.  A good time saw with a diamond blade.  I have laid lots of time and have used a wet saw for many years.  I am going to order some of wetstones and oil stones to put on blank handles.  One stone usually is around 8″ x 2″ so I can get two blanks and two stones to make the complete set.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Organic
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 929

Let us know how it turns out!

I can’t imagine wanting oil stones for your WE. The oily mess is just too much of a hassle and I’m glad to be rid of it.

2 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.