Advanced Search

CRK Small Sebenza

Recent Forums Main Forum Knife Photos CRK Small Sebenza

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    BassLake Dan
    Participant
    • Topics: 11
    • Replies: 110

Here is a Small Seb showing the factory edge which is convex. That, it seems, is the CRK preference, but there are multiple problems with convex in my estimation. I do understand that Clay has gone to good deal of trouble to publish instructions and videos on how to install convex edges on this particular knife using the WEP, but that edge type is not my preference. I re-profile here it with a flat grind. The CRK edge was not really even a taper grind but a convex edge belonging on axes and splitting mauls, not on a small folder.

There is a whole potential subject thread that looms regarding “factory edges” in recent production knives. I threatened to post here on the WEPs forums, and maybe will go ahead with it soon and start the ball rolling on that. There is something oddly wrong with a lot of recent production knife factory edges lately, particularly the mid-tech and more expensive products. I have CRKTs under $20 knives from Big5 Sporting Goods Stores that come with better factory edges than +$400 knives ????.

Here is the Factory Edge:

Here is my WEP re-profile:

Here is a shot of the finished knife:

Note the mods on the WEP arms and the flipped slide bar so I can use the system without the ‘dimples’ All angles are set using a cube.

Robert Nash
    Participant
    • Topics: 5
    • Replies: 164

Hi BassLakeDan,
    I wonder how the reprofiling you did has stood up for you compared to the convex edge CRK put on it originally? Was the original edge not very sharp – I assume this is that what you mean by better – or are you referring to the choice of grind or angle in the more expensive knives not being a good choice as they don’t stand up to use? I’d be interested to hear you thoughts more on your experience with this.
    Also, I’m curious what angle you chose to use and if you put a primary cutting edge on it or if that is just a shadow from the microscope lighting?
    Bob

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.