Advanced Search

Creating a Burr…Mixed Message

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

I feel I may be sending a mixed message on whether or not to create a burr.  I replied to William, that I don’t draw or create a burr because it is a waste of steel.

The burr is the only true physical indicator, I know of, that confirms your sharpening, (i.e., grind work), is continuous across the bevel, from the shoulder of the knife’s edge, up and off the knife’s tip.  This is why we recommend that new users of the Wicked Edge employ this method in the learning steps of sharpening with the Wicked Edge Systems.  It is the best way for the new sharpener to be sure their bevel has reached the apex.  The steel that rolls up and over the knife edge to the opposite side is what we feel for to have physical proof we have accomplished creating the burr.  We then repeat the process on the opposite side we will be knocking off the burr we created only to do this again, on that side.  In essence we have wasted steel.  The amount of steel wasted is really very small considering the gain we make by being sure our sharpening method is correct and effective.

As our method, technique and understanding of the principles of knife sharpening, in general, and sharpening with our Wicked Edge Systems improves, as we transit this “learning curve”, we learn tell tales and often employ tools like a USB microscopes that help us see the grind pattern has reached the apex  so we can stop short of rolling the steel up and over the knife edge.

There are still times I experience today when sharpening some very tricky steels that it appears visually that I have apexed the edge but the knife just doesn’t feel sharp.  I have been halfway up through my grit progression and the edge still hasn’t come around.  When this occurs I step back to basics, drop down the grits and draw a burr that I can feel with my fingers.  This always gets me on the right track.

If I did create some confusion I hope this helps to clear it up.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

5 users thanked author for this post.
    wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

Good post. I think that it’s possible for advanced users to skip the burr if they have plenty of experience and some way to reliably magnify the edge to see if they’ve successfully apexed the knife. Otherwise, developing the burr is an essential tool to verify the apex.

-Clay

3 users thanked author for this post.
    William
    Participant
    • Topics: 9
    • Replies: 38

Thank you Marc.   Like Clay said, excellent post!  I kind of got what you were trying to say in your original post.

I do have a USB microscope on the way to help me at each step.   I think it will be invaluable.  Loupes are ok for a quick scan, but not keen on wretching my back and sticking my face close to a clamped blade 🙂

William

2 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.