Advanced Search

Creating a burr

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Richard
    Participant
    • Topics: 8
    • Replies: 122

A topic popped up in another forum regarding how far through the grit progression should one try and obtain a burr.  I commented that I will look for a burr as long as I can still feel one which is pretty high.  I got this response, am I wrong in my methodology?

Attachments:
    1 user thanked author for this post.
    Organic
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 902

MarcH sent me a series of microscope images that show a very small burr is formed at every grit in his sharpening progression even though he was not intentionally creating a burr. Burr formation happens if you are properly apexing the edge.

I intentionally form a burr that I can feel on the first stone and then just follow by loupe or microscope inspection afterward. Based on Marc’s images, I’m sure I’m also getting a burr at each step along the way, but I’m not intentionally trying to make one big enough to feel.

3 users thanked author for this post.
    MarcH
    • Topics: 59
    • Replies: 1959

I employ several sharpening strokes in a repeated process, grit and finer grit.  These different sharpening strokes, this protocol, makes up my sharpening technique.

The burrs that are formed, that I did observe and photograph with the USB microscope, are an indicator that effective sharpening technique is being practiced.   These burrs formed are subsequently removed with the next sharpening stroke that I employ in this repeated mixed stroke protocol.  The very last stroke I employ with each grit leaves the apex exposed and burr-less.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-It)

4 users thanked author for this post.
    Expidia
    Participant
    • Topics: 43
    • Replies: 295

I’m just guessing here, but since its a kitchen knife I’m guessing by the scratch pattern you stopped at 1,000 grit.  Maybe 1,500. What say you Readheads?

And a nice job too :o)

Richard
    Participant
    • Topics: 8
    • Replies: 122

I guess I’m wondering about his claim of making the edge weak by not checking for a burr after 200, he got a bunch of likes so I’m thinking that us here on this forum constitute a different opinion.  I myself did two knives this afternoon and had a burr at 1600, did a couple of dozens stroke and I consider it a work of art.

Mike
    Participant
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 2

Very nice

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.