Advanced Search

Creating a burr

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Richard
    Participant
    • Topics: 14
    • Replies: 183

A topic popped up in another forum regarding how far through the grit progression should one try and obtain a burr.  I commented that I will look for a burr as long as I can still feel one which is pretty high.  I got this response, am I wrong in my methodology?

Attachments:
    1 user thanked author for this post.
    Organic
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 929

MarcH sent me a series of microscope images that show a very small burr is formed at every grit in his sharpening progression even though he was not intentionally creating a burr. Burr formation happens if you are properly apexing the edge.

I intentionally form a burr that I can feel on the first stone and then just follow by loupe or microscope inspection afterward. Based on Marc’s images, I’m sure I’m also getting a burr at each step along the way, but I’m not intentionally trying to make one big enough to feel.

3 users thanked author for this post.
    Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

I employ several sharpening strokes in a repeated process, grit and finer grit.  These different sharpening strokes, this protocol, makes up my sharpening technique.

The burrs that are formed, that I did observe and photograph with the USB microscope, are an indicator that effective sharpening technique is being practiced.   These burrs formed are subsequently removed with the next sharpening stroke that I employ in this repeated mixed stroke protocol.  The very last stroke I employ with each grit leaves the apex exposed and burr-less.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

4 users thanked author for this post.
    Expidia
    Participant
    • Topics: 47
    • Replies: 339

I’m just guessing here, but since its a kitchen knife I’m guessing by the scratch pattern you stopped at 1,000 grit.  Maybe 1,500. What say you Readheads?

And a nice job too :o)

Richard
    Participant
    • Topics: 14
    • Replies: 183

I guess I’m wondering about his claim of making the edge weak by not checking for a burr after 200, he got a bunch of likes so I’m thinking that us here on this forum constitute a different opinion.  I myself did two knives this afternoon and had a burr at 1600, did a couple of dozens stroke and I consider it a work of art.

Mike
    Participant
    • Topics: 2
    • Replies: 11

Very nice

Readheads
    Participant
    • Topics: 32
    • Replies: 308

Readheads says this was a full reprofile starting at 100 (prob 300+) scrub strokes per side until I got the full burr (seems like forever sometimes but it will happen) + single edge leading for burr removal with 200. It was a first time blade so I used a sharpie, but after the first full burr I went 25-50 edge trailing strokes per side thru full progression 400, 600, 800, 1000, 1500, 3 diamond films, 2 leather ever so light. Each 25x per side after full burr.  Did not bother with sharpie/scope/burr after each progression cause I trust the jig and quickly feel finger/nail test. I also do not care if there is a “rogue” scratch left from a previous grit as long as the edge catches my thumb nail. Diminishing returns. The end results in cutting scallops from shiny newsprint which is good enough for me.

Plus it was a new knife I never had before. Time was 30-45 mins. It was also from my dentist and I had 3 root canals last year. Sa la vie.

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.