Advanced Search

Convexing with the WEPS

Recent Forums Main Forum Techniques and Sharpening Strategies Convexing with the WEPS

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Leo James Mitchell
    Participant
    • Topics: 64
    • Replies: 687

I love the versatility of Clay’s sharpener.
    I was particularly pleased to find that it can very easily convex an edge and by doing so provide a cutting apex both very sharp and very strong. I now do this with most of my knives as can be seen by my ESEE and Fallkniven knives recently shown in the section comparing the processing of edges using the Shapton and Chosera stones. The photos Clay took of his fine work show the convex geometry quite clearly.
    The whole process is described elsewhere, but to put it simply, it consists of grinding multiple angles with the diamond paddles and then blending them together into the convex geometry by using the leather strops with various finer and finer micron grits. It takes only a few minutes to do and is worth the effort if you require a convex cutting edge.
    It is important to remember that a convex edge and convex blade grind are not the same thing. The method I am talking about involves only the cutting edge not the whole blade geometry.
    Anyway, from my perspective as a former sharpening klutz, this convexing is like magic to me!

Leo

Larry
    Participant
    • Topics: 5
    • Replies: 44

Leo

When you sharpen at multiple angles to get the convex edge and then strop, what angle do you strop at to get the desired results, do you have to strop at multiple angles too?

Lucky

Leo James Mitchell
    Participant
    • Topics: 64
    • Replies: 687

Hi Lucky
    That is a good question and one that maybe should be further clarified in the instructions…so I follow my own lead and I strop at the final angle and then a bit at the previous angles. e.g. if the initial angle is 17 degrees and then I move up to 18, 19 and sometimes a fourth angle like 20 degrees, I strop at 20 degrees then at the lower figures just to make sure I have gotten rid of any sharp shoulders left and to continue building that curvature. Understand that the grinding done at angles , 18, 19 and 20 by the diamond paddles, unlike that done at the initial angle, is really not so much a grinding as a scuffing to build the curve of the convex shape.
    Well, there it is. That is the way I see it and is the method I follow. I am sure Clay can do a better job of explaining, but briefly that is the way I do it. My sharpening is pretty much intuitive and may not be exactly as others might do, but it seems to work for me. When I sent my knives to Clay for some experimenting with the Shapton and Chosera stones, I was holding my breath until I heard from Clay that the convexing I had done was OK in his book! Big relief.
    I hope this helps.

Leo

Leo

When you sharpen at multiple angles to get the convex edge and then strop, what angle do you strop at to get the desired results, do you have to strop at multiple angles too?

Lucky

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.