Advanced Search

convexing the idun

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Tony Pettersen
    Participant
    • Topics: 4
    • Replies: 29

well i got a package from weps today containing the ceramic stones, blank leather strop, 14/10 micron paste, .25 Micron Diamond Spray, ,125micron boron. and 14 & 10 Micron Diamond Paste
    since my very first weps order never arrived here in Norway i only had 1 and ,5 micron strops so blending facets when convexing was very tedious..

so i went 14/10 on the strops to convex and now im in business! :cheer:
    i finished my pro-tech and now its the Fallkniven idun whos next

the protech got 19/20/21/22 degrees but i was thinking of just 3 angles.
    say 17/19/20 or maybt 22/23/24

will this be much harder to blend?
    all and any thoughts on the matter will be much appreciated

i have a 20 degree V-grind now..

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

This should be easy to blend. I did the same w/ my F1 and it came out beautifully. Having 3 little facets (maybe 18, 19 & 20 degrees) will make it easier. Stropping at 18 should reach all the facets and blend them nicely.

-Clay

Tony Pettersen
    Participant

ill give 18/19/20 a go and see 🙂

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

All of the angle sets you suggest should be relatively easy to do. I did a couple of blog posts on this subject: convexing on a WEPS.

Keep in mind, though, that Fallkniven puts very acute angles on some of their knives. I don’t know what the angle of the F1 is at the edge of the edge, but on my A1 it was slightly over 13 degrees!

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Tony Pettersen
    Participant

im just finishing up 18/19/20 on the idun with the 1600 ceramic and will be stropping now..

my girlfriends F1 will be next, thinking on trying a steeper last angle say 18/19/22 just to see if it has any realworld use difference.. this is to much fun
    blending with 14/10 micron is just in another league than the 1/.5 micron 😛

i wonder if Fallkniven puts such acute angles on all or if its just the guy/gal who did yours
    13 seems over the top

Mark76
    Participant

Yes, I was hugely surprised when I found out is was less than 14 degrees. I expected something well over 20 degrees.

I am curious to know what the angle on the F1 is. You don’t need a goniometer to find out. Just use the Sharpie (marker) trick and try to establish what the most acute angle is at which a stone will still remove the ink from the edge.

Tony Pettersen
    Participant

Clay what allignment mark did you use for the F1?

ill see if i find the factory angle on that one

Tony Pettersen
    Participant

i did hit the edge at the 20 degree mark on the F1. the swipe is 19.50 to 20.40 on the anglecube on the middle of the blade

Mark76
    Participant

Thanks! Quite interesting. It probably confirms what Fallkniven wrote me: that their blades are hand-sharpened.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.