Advanced Search

Considering Purchase

Recent Forums Main Forum Getting Started Considering Purchase

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Bernard J
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 2

I have previously sharpened free hand, at one time had a Tormex Supergrind setup, and currently have used a Gatco Edgemate for the past several years. The Gatco has generally met my needs, although I have wished it was a bit sturdier. With some recent purchases of knives with tougher steel (ELMAX, ZDP-189, S30V), I have been relooking my options and am currently leading towards a Wicked Edge system. I am interested in the Precision Sharpener and adding some of the upgrades to it. Going straight out with the Pro-Pack II is probably out of the budget at this time, so I am probably going to start with the Precision Sharpener and the Pro Pack I. I am quite interested in the upgraded ball bearing arms, which are part of the Pro Pack II. I have seen reference to a Pro Pack II upgrade package, which would put me between the Pro Pack I and Pro Pack II, correct? That would not include everything in the Pro Pack II kit, though? It seems like there is not an option to avoid purchasing the original arms? Sunk cost?

Any recommendations would be appreciated. I would be sharpening pocket knives, fixed blades, kitchen knives, some woodworking tools on occasion.

Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

Welcome to the forum my friend! This really is one of the best forums out there and everyone is super helpful =)

So I am not sure I can answer all your questions, but I suggest simply giving Wicked Edge a call and they should be able to tell you exactly what you are getting. I believe at this point that the older arms are a sunk cost if you automatically buy the upgraded ones w/ your new WEPS, and I think it would be helpful if Wicked Edge changed this policy , even it if only offset the cost $15 or something but I may be completely off base here.

If you get the PP1 then you will have the PP1 stones with the upgraded arms, that’s it. But that is more than enough to get you some NICE edges!

Zamfir
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 346

If you call them and ask for a propack 1 with the upgraded arms it will save you money. But you have to call and ask. That is the route I took. You will love it!

Bernard J
    Participant

Zamfir…thanks for that input. Sounds like a good way to start.

Zamfir
    Participant

It is.. And I felt the same way..man the pro pack 2 is out of my price range..

But in all reality..once I started using the system..within a month I had purchased individually most everything in the pro pack 2. I just picked up some ceramics today which would now mean I have more than the propack 2 had and ended up spending more money this route..LOL.

But, as said before, you will have wicked sharp edges with the pro pack 1 for sure. Give the stones some time to break in. Sharpen a lot of knives and look around on this forum for videos. Watch them. Totally worth the time and nothing makes up for just doing it and getting the feel for the system. Once you start..you will not look back my friend.

Welcome to the OCD madness!

Bernard J
    Participant

The trade-off between a one time big ouch expenditure and spreading it out over time. I rather suspect that over time, I will miss out on some of the package savings, but ready to get a start. I have watched quite a few of the videos thus far, from the basic getting5ing started video to the ones with tips for specific blade profiles…and it has been a selling point.

Zamfir
    Participant

That is true and my logic as well. Now get er done so you can sharpen everything in the house while you are on vacation…I know I am going to be busy at all my different relatives houses when I head out of town for a couple weeks! Bringing the WE with me. I will not be board…that is for sure! LOL! :woohoo:

Josh
    Participant

Oh, and another benefit thanks to CliffCurry and a little ingenuity is that I can get edges down to MAXIMUM of 5 dps, but probably down to 1-2 dps if I really wanted LOL. Great system and you will have fun.

I plan on doing an upcoming video of the Wicked Edge’s new magic power! stay tuned :side:

Josh
    Participant

Ok, so without more modding I can’t get down to 1-2 dps lol but I can to about 5! Basically it is using CliffCurry’s idea (using the LAA with the longer rod arms and the Tormek jig) and then these custom bases I had made. This will put the base pivot point in the correct location on longer knives. I am missing the thumb screws there on them but they are drilled and tapped for screws to hold them secure.

SHVentus
    Participant
    • Topics: 14
    • Replies: 64

Josh,

It’s great to see someone bring my ideas to fruition. 🙂

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.