Advanced Search

conditioning leather strops

Recent Forums Main Forum Stropping conditioning leather strops

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Daniel maloon
    Participant
    • Topics: 10
    • Replies: 209

I know its been discussed but didn’t find a thread where someone had actually conditioned their w.e. strops. I’ve used the paste and for some time now the diamond sprays. Last weekend after reading about which conditioners work best I noticed in the garage I had a bottle of eagle one leather conditioner. It’s made on just mink, lanolin and neatsfoot oil. I applied it to my cow and roo strops and like it. It didn’t leave any sort of residue, increased the draw and made them supple. There was a noticeable difference in how

they performed. Fwiw

Leo Barr
    Participant
    • Topics: 26
    • Replies: 812

Neetsfoot oil is really good by itself it is really light goes straight in it is made from beef it is great on yachts for conditioning leather chafe gear.*-

Daniel maloon
    Participant

I agree Leo. From what I’ve read all three individually are great. Also ive read some people have used raw gelatin with good results too. I just didn’t want to go buy anything new and didn’t feel like cooking some gelatin. Haha it was a happy result from being lazy as I would have cut new leather and re stripped the paddles if the results were bad.

Fred Hermann
    Participant
    • Topics: 30
    • Replies: 188

But what is a bad result?
    I’ve got seriously chewed up strops, so I’ve tried a few things, and pretty much anything that makes the leather soft works great.

EVEN WATER

The only question I have is how to know if you’ve washed out the stropping compound.

Daniel maloon
    Participant

A bad result would have been if i didnt like how it preformed. If it was slimy, saturated or gummy i would have replaced them. Same goes for if it would have turned hard and slick. Water can swell the leather un evenly and an excessively knicked strop doesnt preform as well as a fresh one , atleast for me. Ive tried quite a few things and this worked well for me so i thought id just mention it

Geocyclist
    Participant
    • Topics: 25
    • Replies: 524

Did you reload with paste/stropping compound after the conditioning?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.