Advanced Search

Cleaning stones a little more detail

Recent Forums Main Forum Techniques and Sharpening Strategies Abrasives Cleaning stones a little more detail

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    NotVerySharp
    Participant
    • Topics: 33
    • Replies: 56

I read about what to use to clean them, but do you submerge the whole stone and holder?  Just one side?  How long do you leave the windex or bartenders helper on it?  Do you use the liquid or powder type?  Do you soak the stones/holders overnight?  5 Min?

Thank U

tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

Some guys have reported getting some rust stains around the edges from using water-based cleaning agents, so I use alcohol only.  I spritz a little on the abrasive surface (diamond stones or film), then rub it a little with one finger tip before wiping it off with a rag or paper towel.  Only a few seconds.

I haven’t tried Windex or Barkeepers Friend, so can’t really comment on their use, but I wouldn’t think you’d need to soak the stones in them.

Barkeepers Friend or Comet are light abrasives.  I used it to clean my ceramic stones until I tried the Superaser and switched.  With Comet, I’d shake a bit into the palm of my hand, then add a little water to make a slurry, which I’d smear onto the ceramic stone.  Then I’d use a toothbrush or similar brush to scrub the surface for a half minute or so, after which I’d rinse the mess off and dry with a paper towel.  Worked pretty well, but the Superaser was just less mess and fuss.

I’ve found that chemicals stronger than alcohol can attack the plastic in the handles.  Lacquer thinner, Brake-Kleen and acetone were too strong for the ABS I bought from McMaster-Carr.  Not sure about the WE handles.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Alan
    Participant
    • Topics: 15
    • Replies: 206

I agree the supereraser works great, and I’ve used it many times to clean the stones.  Also, I like using just a regular toothbrush with liquid Barkeeper’s Friend, just a drop or two on a wet stone, then brush right away.  Liquid soap works good, too.  Even just plain old water and a brush have worked well for me.  I don’t soak the stones.  I’ve hear some folks say the dishwasher does a good job, too.

Alan

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

Indeed the super eraser. If you use Bar Keepers Friend, use a few drops and a toothbursh and spend a few mins per side to clean it.

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Al
    Participant
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 2

The quickest, most effective (and probably most expensive) way I’ve found is using electrical contact cleaner. (Essentially isopropyl alcohol in a can).

I just hold the paddle over a bin and give it a full angled blast in one slow, smooth stroke moving down the paddle. Keep the nozzle real close (about an inch away) for maximum pressure but with enough width to only need one pass. Each paddle literally takes seconds to clean, all the crud ends up straight in the bin and the stone is dry by the time you’ve done the next one.

If you’re really keen, follow up with a quick, light pass of electrical contact lube or Inox, CRC etc to stop any rust, displace moisture and reduce swarf load up on the next sharpening.

airscapes
    Participant
    • Topics: 18
    • Replies: 367

I have been using a spray bottle of denatured alcohol and compressed air.. seems to work well

jabas2000
    Participant
    • Topics: 3
    • Replies: 32
    Richard
    Participant
    • Topics: 14
    • Replies: 183

Does anyone use water on their diamond stones throughout the sharpening process like I do?  I developed that habit coming off the EdgePro system because with it and the stones being used, if you’re not soaking them in water, you’re applying water to them during the entire process so I stuck with that except I don’t soak the diamond one’s first.  Clay put out a video of using a soapy solution but the intent of that method was to gather up all the grit produced and to wipe it off the blade before it could fall onto the sharpener but I haven’t seen where anyone keeps a sponge full of plain water next to their WEPS to wipe their stones on.

Organic
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 929

I thought the idea behind using a soapy solution on the stones was to keep the steel dust under control. Breathing in fine particulates on a regular basis can carry serious health risks.

I have tried it a time or two and it does keep the dust from becoming airborne.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Richard
    Participant
    • Topics: 14
    • Replies: 183

That’s right, I just said it different way.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.