Advanced Search

cleaning my Wicked edge

Recent Forums Main Forum Suggestion Box cleaning my Wicked edge

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    jabas2000
    Participant
    • Topics: 3
    • Replies: 32
     I would like some feedback on the following video. What is good and what do I have to adjust.

• This topic was modified 6 years, 1 month ago by jabas2000.
    Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

jabas2000, your mother would be proud of you for putting away all your toys so neatly and organized.  Great setup.   I would unwrap the knife blade,(only), leaving the handle still wrapped.  Test the knife for sharpness, first, just incase it needs to be re-clamped and worked on further.  Then I’d breakdown my sharpening station after I like the sharpness.

I see you slide the strops into the foam case, unwrapped and uncovered.  Some users would be concerned with cross contamination by the leather impregnated with abrasives rubbing off onto the foam and possibly getting crossed to a different strop.  If your not consistent with your placement and orientation of the strops I guess that’s possible.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

2 users thanked author for this post.
    sksharp
    Participant
    • Topics: 9
    • Replies: 408

Looks good to me. I have the PP3 as well (2016) and I love the case and the ability to take it anywhere. I personally don’t use liquid on ceramics, super eraser only, but have heard of others doing exactly what you did.

Edge on your knife looked pretty good as well!

1 user thanked author for this post.
    jabas2000
    Participant
    • Topics: 3
    • Replies: 32

MarcH  Al the stones and strops are always at the same place, with the lowest grid to the front. So there is a low chance of contamination.

skssharp This was the first time i used the ceramics, i bought these last week. Using them was not a big succes, i have to break them in. But next time i wil use the eraser.

sksharp
    Participant
    • Topics: 9
    • Replies: 408

Others have told me they aren’t worried about it with the ceramics, I just don’t want to screw them up at $120 a pop. The break in period on those is significant and I’ve said this a hundred times mine have gotten better and better. Have you tried lapping them together? 1.4 against 1.4 and .6 against .6? I rubbed them together vigorously, not going more than an inch past each end and X’ing them as I went for about 10 minutes or so and it helped them break in a bit. I think it flattens them a bit as well.

I use mine more for micro bevels than any other purpose, as of right now at least. They leave a different cutting edge than the other stones do and take off very little metal. One other thing on those is when you use them take at least twice the passes that you would use with a diamond stone. I’ve made 200 or 300 passes with each because they just don’t remove metal fast at all.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.