Advanced Search

Cleaning Diamond Plates

Recent Forums Main Forum Sharpener and Accessory Maintenance Cleaning Diamond Plates

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 63 total)
  • Author
    Carson1206
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 3

Disregard me question. I would’ve answered it myself if I would’ve read up a few comments. Haha

NotVerySharp
    Participant
    • Topics: 33
    • Replies: 56

I’ve put knives in ultrasoic cleaners and have seen them rattle loose.  Then again, I have seen people suggest just holding the stone a few min in water, not fullly submerging it

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

People have done so, but the results are mixed. Occasions have been reported where the ultrasonic cleaner shaked the stones loose.

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Mikeyv
    Participant
    • Topics: 4
    • Replies: 10

When useing the vinegar, windex or alcohol are u letting it sit on the stones for a few min or just putting it in and scrubbing?

I love seeing a owner of the company so involved. Thank u for all your hard work and input!!!!

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

I scrub away the Windex right away. I let the vinegar work in for a few minutes. I’ve never used alcohol (for this purupose).

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Dan
    Participant
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 6

I have just a few questions as I am new to the WE. I am wondering if it would be safe to use brass brushes to clean off the stones in between uses or is a stiff toothbrush a safer practice?

As well as I have read that with the vinegar you let it sit on the stone for a couple minutes before you scrub it and then wash it off, what is the practice for using alcohol? (I have access to large supply of alcohol) With alcohol would I let the stone soak? or just apply the alcohol and scrub away until its all evaporated then rinse under warm water?

Any help or critiques would be appreciated as I am trying to learn as much as I can

Thanks Dan

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Mikedoh
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 568

I moisten the diamond plate, apply bar keepers friend, scrub with a finger nail brush, rinse, stand upright to dry.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    MarcH
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2733

I have never cleaned my diamond stones.  I have wiped them off with a dry towel or paper towel.  That’s it.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

Organic
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 929

I also never clean my diamond stones and they work well. I would avoid a metal brush because the substrate that the diamonds are mounted in is a soft metal. A toothbrush should be perfectly safe.

4 users thanked author for this post.
    sksharp
    Participant
    • Topics: 9
    • Replies: 408

I use a stiff nylon toothbrush with water and a couple drops of dawn dish soap mixed in. I’ve only cleaned them 2 or 3 times in almost a year now. I do wipe mine off like MarcH described above with a clean rag after every use.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

I also never clean my diamond stones and they work well. I would avoid a metal brush because the substrate that the diamonds are mounted in is a soft metal. A toothbrush should be perfectly safe.

The diamond particles are anchored to the steel platens with a nickel plating, which is pretty tough stuff.  I don’t think a brass brush would be a problem.  Certainly, a steel brush would probably be too harsh.

FWIW, I wash my diamond plates about twice per year using alcohol, just like I do with the diamond film, which I wash after two knives.  For the first several years, I did nothing to clean my diamond plates and they did just fine.

4 users thanked author for this post.
    Organic
    Participant

Oh, I thought the whole thing was nickel. Thanks for the correction.

JKingRPh
    Participant
    • Topics: 2
    • Replies: 9

Oh, I thought the whole thing was nickel. Thanks for the correction.

Think what those things would cost if the plate was solid nickel.

Steven
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 6

Simple Green was mentioned early on inn this thread. Any results/thoughts?

Organic
    Participant

Simple green will remove the plates from the handles. It dissolves the adhesive.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 63 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.