Advanced Search

Cleaning Diamond Plates

Recent Forums Main Forum Sharpener and Accessory Maintenance Cleaning Diamond Plates

This topic contains 62 replies, has 29 voices, and was last updated by  Steven 01/21/2019 at 9:21 am.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 63 total)
  • Author

Carson1206
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 3

Disregard me question. I would’ve answered it myself if I would’ve read up a few comments. Haha

NotVerySharp
    Participant
    • Topics: 33
    • Replies: 56

I’ve put knives in ultrasoic cleaners and have seen them rattle loose.  Then again, I have seen people suggest just holding the stone a few min in water, not fullly submerging it

Mark76
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

People have done so, but the results are mixed. Occasions have been reported where the ultrasonic cleaner shaked the stones loose.

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Mikeyv
    Participant
    • Topics: 4
    • Replies: 10

When useing the vinegar, windex or alcohol are u letting it sit on the stones for a few min or just putting it in and scrubbing?

I love seeing a owner of the company so involved. Thank u for all your hard work and input!!!!

Mark76
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

I scrub away the Windex right away. I let the vinegar work in for a few minutes. I’ve never used alcohol (for this purupose).

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Dan
    Participant
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 6

I have just a few questions as I am new to the WE. I am wondering if it would be safe to use brass brushes to clean off the stones in between uses or is a stiff toothbrush a safer practice?

As well as I have read that with the vinegar you let it sit on the stone for a couple minutes before you scrub it and then wash it off, what is the practice for using alcohol? (I have access to large supply of alcohol) With alcohol would I let the stone soak? or just apply the alcohol and scrub away until its all evaporated then rinse under warm water?

Any help or critiques would be appreciated as I am trying to learn as much as I can

Thanks Dan

1 user thanked author for this post.

Mikedoh
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 560

I moisten the diamond plate, apply bar keepers friend, scrub with a finger nail brush, rinse, stand upright to dry.

2 users thanked author for this post.

MarcH
    • Topics: 58
    • Replies: 1855

I have never cleaned my diamond stones.  I have wiped them off with a dry towel or paper towel.  That’s it.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-It)

Organic
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 851

I also never clean my diamond stones and they work well. I would avoid a metal brush because the substrate that the diamonds are mounted in is a soft metal. A toothbrush should be perfectly safe.

4 users thanked author for this post.

sksharp
    Participant
    • Topics: 9
    • Replies: 397

I use a stiff nylon toothbrush with water and a couple drops of dawn dish soap mixed in. I’ve only cleaned them 2 or 3 times in almost a year now. I do wipe mine off like MarcH described above with a clean rag after every use.

1 user thanked author for this post.

tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 33
    • Replies: 1835

I also never clean my diamond stones and they work well. I would avoid a metal brush because the substrate that the diamonds are mounted in is a soft metal. A toothbrush should be perfectly safe.

The diamond particles are anchored to the steel platens with a nickel plating, which is pretty tough stuff.  I don’t think a brass brush would be a problem.  Certainly, a steel brush would probably be too harsh.

FWIW, I wash my diamond plates about twice per year using alcohol, just like I do with the diamond film, which I wash after two knives.  For the first several years, I did nothing to clean my diamond plates and they did just fine.

4 users thanked author for this post.

Organic
    Participant

Oh, I thought the whole thing was nickel. Thanks for the correction.

JKingRPh
    Participant
    • Topics: 2
    • Replies: 9

Oh, I thought the whole thing was nickel. Thanks for the correction.

Think what those things would cost if the plate was solid nickel.

Steven
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 6

Simple Green was mentioned early on inn this thread. Any results/thoughts?

Organic
    Participant

Simple green will remove the plates from the handles. It dissolves the adhesive.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 63 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.