Advanced Search

Cleaning Diamond Plates

Recent Forums Main Forum Sharpener and Accessory Maintenance Cleaning Diamond Plates

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 63 total)
  • Author
    Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

We only offer one stone by DMT which is our 3µ stone. The rest are from a different supplier and I think they are far superior to anything else I’ve ever tested.

I completely agree.

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Hapslappy
    Participant
    • Topics: 8
    • Replies: 30

Well all righty then. From who and wherever they come from, they sure work well.

Mark76
    Participant

The WE stones are really top quality. Better than Atoma IMHO. The 3 micron DMT is not bad, but at least I think it is more coarse than 3 micron.

Mrniceknife
    Participant
    • Topics: 3
    • Replies: 10

Any luck on the ultrasonic cleaner side of things?

Mark76
    Participant

Some ppl have tried this in the past. IIRC this didn’t end up too well for the stones.

Organic
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 929

I think the stones were fine, it was the adhesive that attaches the stones to the handles that was a problem. Unless you want to re-mount your stones often, the ultrasonic cleaner is a no go.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Mac
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 8

Question about cleaning the stones with soapy water and a tooth brush.  After cleaning all my stones and returning to use them a week later I found that the 200 grit stone has rust spots throughout.  Point of note, all stones were thoroughly dried after cleaning.  Is there something I am missing here?

Ski bum
    Participant
    • Replies: 13

I clean my stones after 5-6 knives. I use Windex and a sonicare toothbrush. I have not seen any rust spots at all.

phillyjudge
    Participant
    • Topics: 21
    • Replies: 63

Mac.  You must be missing some pieces of embedded metal. I scrub my tones periodically with hot water and a little bit of Comet. It’s been going on a couple years no issues.

Mac
    Mac
    Participant
    • Replies: 8

Thanks Philly!

Wicked Edge – In regards to cleaning, what was the outcome of your testing?  Did one product standout more than others?

NotVerySharp
    Participant
    • Topics: 33
    • Replies: 56

Clay.. what type of microscope did you use for your video’s?

Ultrasonic cleaning, i saw some kid with  a video, he just held the stone in the water for a few seconds, just the surface of it. Safe? Effective?

Mark76
    Participant

In the past there was someone who wrote that an ultasonic cleaner destroyed one of his stones. I wouldn’t try it.

NotVerySharp
    Participant
    • Topics: 33
    • Replies: 56

I’ve noticed ultrasonic cleaners tend to rattle lots of stuff apart.  But this person just held it by hand, with out immersing the whole assembly , just the stone part of the plate, actually just the surface of the stone.

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

I ended up liking three things: white vinegar, rubbing alcohol and Windex. All three do well. Since I keep rubbing alcohol by the sharpener anyway, that’s what I use most.

-Clay

Carson1206
    Participant
    • Replies: 3

Has anyone tried cleaning their stones in an ultrasonic cleaner with vinegar or brass casing cleaner?

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 63 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.