Advanced Search

Cleaned my stones

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Marc Simon
    Participant
    • Topics: 8
    • Replies: 15

I just cleaned my stones from my Propac 2 and wow were they dirty ( sharpened maybe 30 knives and a machete). I used comet and a tooth brush in the sink. Then I used my compressor and blew them dry, also let them sit in front of a fan for a while. I have not had time to see the difference but can’t wait.

Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

Marc,

If you use a frequent application of water or windex while grinding then they should never clog and get that dirty. They will maintain their cutting action much better. It also eliminates dust and doesn’t take much water. Try it and let us know~!

Marc Simon
    Participant
    • Topics: 8
    • Replies: 15

Will do…

blacksheep25
    Participant
    • Topics: 2
    • Replies: 68

I keep a wet rag near by when sharpening, and depending on how much I’m sharpening (heavy or light), I run them over the wet rag to remove the metal dust build up. I think other people use a sponge in a similar fashion.

Geocyclist
    Participant
    • Topics: 25
    • Replies: 524

I wash mine off under the faucet. I dry them and leave them out to dry more before putting away. That way any metal that didn’t get washed off doesn’t rust (which should hurt anything anyway).

I have magnets to catch the metal dust, buy may need to try the damp rag/sponge to keep the mess down.

tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

Slightly different subject…

I have seven pairs of platen blocks which I use with film abrasives, including three pairs with the WE diamond film.

Yesterday I picked up a block and noticed it was getting pretty dirty. So I picked up my SUPERASER and WOW! What a difference!

Of course I’m not positive that this doesn’t damage the abrasive grit but it sure looks the same as the new stuff!

Clay: If you’re listening, please give this a try and check it out with your 2000X microscope. If it causes damage, we don’t want to recommend it, but if not – it’s a heck of an answer to the question of film life.

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

Great idea Tom, I’ll definitely check it out.

-Clay

Ryan
    Participant
    • Topics: 13
    • Replies: 21

So…rinsing the diamond and ceramic stones under a faucet using a toothbrush will not hurt or loosen the adhesive? I’m not concerned about the diamond or ceramic stones themselves just the potential loosening of the adhesive or anything else?

I’m afraid I haven’t been cleaning mine…I need to start using the damp towel/sponge next to the WEP and maybe do a deep cleaning under the faucet before my next sharpening. They’re dirty!

All I’ve been doing is just wiping the face of the stones on a dry paper towel but that is probably not as effective.

Wicked Edge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 3
    • Replies: 12

I’ve never had to do anything more than dust off my 100/200 or 400/600 stones. The 800/1000’s have collected a little crud and needed attention maybe two or three times over the last three years, but they clean up well with the Superaser, as do my ceramics. Maybe it’s the cheap knives I sharpen.

~Originally posted by tcmeyer

*Posted by Administrator due to database issue

Wicked Edge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 3
    • Replies: 12

Ryan Nerfherder wrote:
    “So…rinsing the diamond and ceramic stones under a faucet using a toothbrush will not hurt or loosen the adhesive? I’m not concerned about the diamond or ceramic stones themselves just the potential loosening of the adhesive or anything else?

I’m afraid I haven’t been cleaning mine…I need to start using the damp towel/sponge next to the WEP and maybe do a deep cleaning under the faucet before my next sharpening. They’re dirty!

All I’ve been doing is just wiping the face of the stones on a dry paper towel but that is probably not as effective.”

I clean my stones with bar keepers friend and a tooth brush. I don’t immerse them in water, and in general, I wet the stone under faucet, then scrub, then rinse. Stand upright , out of sun, and away from heat. Allow to dry.

~Originally posted by Mikedoh

*Posted by Administrator due to database issue

Daniel maloon
    Participant
    • Topics: 10
    • Replies: 209

Hey tc the curaid alcohol patches clean the diamond films really well, same with the finer diamond stones. Scrub the film, wipe it with a paper towel scrub it again and its like new

tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

Thanks Dan:

Will give it a try!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.