Advanced Search

Clay, where is the serrated sharpener?

Recent Forums Main Forum Suggestion Box Clay, where is the serrated sharpener?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Jed
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 3

I have been a long time Wicked Edge owner and on the forum years ago then life happened and time to get back on here. I remember there was a prototype of a serrated sharpener that got broken. There was talk of the serrated sharpening stones being brought into production but that was I guess when the new gen sharpeners were being made. So any more thought on bringing those into the mix? I sharpen for a lot of Military, Firefighters, Law enforcement and veterans who all have serrated ir partially serrated blades.

Thanks Clay

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

In my five or so years owning and using WEPS there hasn’t been an adapter or attachment for serrated knives.  I have hand sharpened a few serrated edges using Spyderco Tri-angle stones on a clamped knife yielding pretty good results.

I have read some discussion on this forum that there are ideas Clay’s working on.  Nothing concrete.

Welcome back to the Wicked Edge Forum, Jed!

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

Jed
    Participant

I have been off of the forum for over 5 years now. Yes I have done the ceramic sticks, round files, sharpening the back side of the serrations with flat stones and dremel with diamond bits as well. All do an okay job but could all be better. It may have been 6 years ago or more that there was a prototype that one of the trusted members said he broke and the serration sharpener idea had disappeared along with my time to be on the forum. I had checked the web page to see if it may be for sale here and there over the years, but nothing.

Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

As you know due to the variety of shapes and sizes and configurations, many of them proprietary, serration are a hard edge to find or create one tool that fits them all. I have seen leather wheels but even those would need to be configured to the specific serration shape like a customizable router bit.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

Organic
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 929

I would also love to see WE come out with a universal serration sharpener attachment, but there are such a wide variety of shapes out there that I don’t know if that will ever happen.

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

It’s still a project in process, just a challenging one. I think I know what the solution is, am just waiting to find the right supplier for what I need at a price that can work. All the other things we’ve tried haven’t panned out enough to be commercially viable. Some work okay, but not well enough or affordably enough to bring to market.

-Clay

8 users thanked author for this post.
    Jed
    Participant

Thanks for the reply Clay. I love that it’s still a company where the boss interacts with the customers, thats the reason I own 3 wicked edge sharpeners. I just picked up the WE50 travel and what a gem. I love the 200/600 stone idea too.

Thanks again Clay

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Alan
    Participant
    • Topics: 15
    • Replies: 206

Hey guys.  I’m probably one of the very few, but my only serrated knife is a kitchen bread knife. I gave up on spending time to sharpen my serrated steak knives, and now no longer have them.  I found that a sharp 4″ paring knife makes a most excellent steak knife!

That said, I know there are plenty of military, rescue, survival, and other type serrated or partially serrated knives that many folks have, use and love.  A general use serrated knife sharpener would be very useful for those folks who own them.

If anyone were to develop such a sharpener, I would expect it to be none other than Wicked Edge!

Alan

tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

I bought a VEFF1 round diamond file set from CRKT.  It approximates 600 grit and has six different diameters and comes with a nice nylon storage pouch.  It has enough different diameters to work on most serrated patterns.  I’ve taped it to a spare handle I had laying around and it did a fair job, especially on my two serrated (scalloped) bread knives.  Not so much on sharp inside corners.

It’s listed on Amazon, but is currently unavailable:  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0030IX772/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I’m sure you can find it elsewhere.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 10 months ago by tcmeyer.
    Readheads
    Participant
    • Topics: 32
    • Replies: 308

This is a very difficult challenge without fancy digital alignment equipment. Each serration is actually a mini knife of its own and usually concave curved. I have seen some convex though. I have thought about a WEPS approach for years (it helps me fall asleep – LOL). The WEPS simple elegance (using geometric advantages) to put repeatable perfect edges (with the alignment guide and angle cube) is not conducive to this problem. I see two major challenges:

1. The geometry of the individual serration – possibly solved with custom rods self made using 3d print technology and diamond films or grind a new serration to what you have
    2. Keeping each individual serration orthogonal to the sharpening medium – this would require accurately repositioning the knife for each individual serration (very difficult, time consuming and not repeatable) – possibly solved by allowing the spherical joint to move along the knife (new fixturing)

The overarching thought I keep coming back to is digitizing the WEPS by integrating the digital cube into the spherical joint and rod, connecting it to your computer and having it beep when you are at perfect alignment. Very non-trivial and not cheap – but it would be fun. Watching some vids of the jigs used to sharpen chain saw blades also yield ideas.

Years back I actually ground off the serrations on my Henckel steak knives using the ChefsChoice and learned to love the cutting action while dining. I now have 8 non-serrated Henckel 4 star steak knives with WEPS edges which I gently pull across my Messermeister ceramic hone until it catches my nail pretty much every day. I know they hit the plate but do not care.

2 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.