Advanced Search

Clay sharpening my PXL folder with Shaptons

Recent Forums Main Forum Techniques and Sharpening Strategies Clay sharpening my PXL folder with Shaptons

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Leo James Mitchell
    Participant
    • Topics: 64
    • Replies: 687

I don’t think Clay will mind if I put up a link to our friends over at the Knife Forum,in the Keeping Sharp section of the Forum, Pages 15, 16,17 starting near the bottom of this link:
    http://www.knifeforums.com/forums/showtopic.php?tid/909886/tp/15/
    See what an excellent job the Shaptons do the edge of that 3G laminated super steel blade. I can’t wait to get this beauty back again. If you read the whole section you will see what he did with 4 of my knives using the Chosera and Shapton stones.

Best to all
    Leo

Jende Industries
    Participant
    • Topics: 14
    • Replies: 342

Excellent link, Leo! 😉 I think is shows not only Clay’s capabilities, but of both the WEPS itself, and of the Shaptons.

Just be careful with that knife when you get it back!

B)

Leo James Mitchell
    Participant

Excellent link, Leo! 😉 I think is shows not only Clay’s capabilities, but of both the WEPS itself, and of the Shaptons.

Just be careful with that knife when you get it back!

B)

Thank you Tom and believe me I will be cautious with this keen blade! I wanted everyone to see the capabilities of the WEPS in relation to the Shaptons…what a phenomenal edge it produced. Here is a shot of that final edge and reflections on an American 20 dollar bill.

I am editing here to add the other knives Clay did with the Shapton and Chosera stones for me:

Fallkniven TK-2

ESEE-6 mirror edge

ESEE-6 with Honduran Rosewood Burl scales

Outstanding! Clay plays the WEPS like you play the clarinet my friend! 😉

Warm regards
    Leo

Edwin Lurvey
    Participant
    • Topics: 5
    • Replies: 80

I expect to see a macro lens shot of that thing whittling down already whittled hairs.

Leo James Mitchell
    Participant

I expect to see a macro lens shot of that thing whittling down already whittled hairs.

I have just the lens for it! I’ll see what I can do mate!

Cheers
    Leo

Jende Industries
    Participant
    • Topics: 14
    • Replies: 342

Awesome pictures, Leo!

Some more, please :cheer:

Leo James Mitchell
    Participant

Well my knives arrived home yesterday. Many thanks to Clay for an amazing sharpening job and to Bob and Kay for seeing to it that my knives got back to me while Clay was up at the ranch guiding his hunter customers. And Bob thanks for the 3M tape mate!
    Just for fun I tried the knives to see how they fared with various cutting jobs…frightening! :ohmy: Paper fairly melted away in front of those edges and now I have no hair left on my arms after I tried out their shaving abilities…the hair disappeared smoothly with no pulling. But more amazingly, each of the knives were sharp enough to skivvy the surface of my printing paper. Skivvy=shave the surface layer of the paper while it lies flat. My grandson Owen wanted to try out my Fallkniven PXL which he loves. Since his Auntie Dar wasn’t looking, I let him slice a piece of printer paper into julienned strips and he also managed to skivvy some surface paper while he held it in his hand with no support behind it…awesome edge!!
    My recommendation…either of the stones Choseras or Shaptons will add a further advantage to your sharpening. Was there any difference? I think, but don’t hold me to this, I think the edges done with the Shapton stones were veerrry slightly keener. Just a smidgen. :cheer:

Best to all
    Leo

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.