Advanced Search

Clamping thick blades

Recent Forums Main Forum Getting Started Clamping thick blades

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Punxsyjumper
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 1

Hi Guys, newbie here. Got my WE130 and so far, so good. I do have a few blades that are 3/16 thick. I think I read somewhere that 1/4 is the max but when I try to clamp a 3/16 the lever goes down about halfway and stops. I don’t want to force it and break or bend anything so I haven’t done these blades yet.  The tension adjustment is all the way on the negative side and I don’t see any way of opening it up more. Any suggestions? Thanks

Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

Welcome to the W.E. Forum Punxsyjumper.

These are the 1/4 inch jaws offered by W.E. to clamp thicker knives.  This may be the accessory you need.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

Organic
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 929

Don’t force it. The clamp is very well made, but I think trying to clamp a knife that doesn’t fit would cause damage. Get the larger jaws or get the Tormek small knife adapter (check Amazon).

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Readheads
    Participant
    • Topics: 32
    • Replies: 308

20190210_180348
    Do something like this, it costs $10…. holds any thickness and flexible, not to be a PIA but WEPS really owes us something as simple as this.

Attachments:
    Richard
    Participant
    • Topics: 14
    • Replies: 183

Is there any particular reason for the additional height about the vise?

Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

That’s a keen observation Richard.  The extra height above the jaw line would certainly require very long guide rods and a much longer square bar then the standard one pictured here.  Pythagoras shows himself here, again.  That’s not to say the concept is wrong.  Just, it’ll require all the components to put it to practical use.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

Punxsyjumper
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 1

Not sure how that is going to help me but thanks anyway. Not looking to re engineer the thing.

Richard
    Participant
    • Topics: 14
    • Replies: 183

That’s a keen observation Richard. The extra height above the jaw line would certainly require very long guide rods and a much longer square bar then the standard one pictured here. Pythagoras shows himself here, again. That’s not to say the concept is wrong. Just, it’ll require all the components to put it to practical use.

Am currently trying to find the square root button on my iPhone calculator 😆

Readheads
    Participant
    • Topics: 32
    • Replies: 308

You can hold almost a 1/2″ thick blade in it, height needed for low angle dps, not much higher than LAA, $10

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.