Advanced Search

Clamping Help, Please…

Recent Forums Main Forum Clamping Help, Please…

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    NorCalQ
    Participant
    • Topics: 54
    • Replies: 149

So I positioned this knife in the clamp using the 2 prong guide.  When I took some strokes to find the angle, I could tell that I wouldn’t be getting an equal width bevel from heal to tip.  I began raising the the tip and finally I got a consistent width.  I recorded the position with tip to clamp and tip to base measurements.  Question is, is this ok to do or should I always be able to get an equal width bevel and still be touching both prongs?

Also, without the tip being up, the stones contact the side of the clamp.

Clamping

• This topic was modified 5 years, 3 months ago by NorCalQ.
    • This topic was modified 5 years, 3 months ago by NorCalQ.
    Attachments:
    Organic
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 929

Have you read MarcH’s thread on how to find the sweet spot? The depth key holes are just a starting point and you won’t always end up with the knife resting on the depth key once you find the sweet spot. You did the correct thing by using the results to guide your clamping position.

That’s a seriously wide bevel. What angle was that?

1 user thanked author for this post.
    NorCalQ
    Participant
    • Topics: 54
    • Replies: 149

Organic, thanks.  I wasn’t sure and if I was doing it wrong, I wanted to make sure now, rather than develop bad habits from the git go.  And yes, that is a wide bevel.  The set angle is 17*.  Kinda acute for a folder like this, but this is my practice knife, so I figured, why not.  Also, I’ve changed the angle a few times and ground it down pretty far.  As a result, I’m getting to the thicker part of the blade.  It’s really tough to try to get rid of all the scratches on such a huge bevel, but it’s good practice for me…a real challenge.

1 user thanked author for this post.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.