Advanced Search

Clamp always loosen

Recent Forums Main Forum Clamp always loosen

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Rene Lafontaine
    Participant
    • Topics: 3
    • Replies: 10

First of all sorry for my english. I’m a frensh canadian 😉

So, I just bought a pro pack 2 upgrade. And i’ve installed it like it was told in the instruction… and my clamp keep loosening… so i have to uninstall my wicked edge from the board and tight it.. at each 2 knives or so. It twist like if the holes were slotted… misconception or what… it’s somekind of annoying. I had tondisassemble it once in the middle of a shapening…

Whats tu solution? Locktight (blue one that is breakable)on the bolts

Have a good day.

René

cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

It shouldn’t come loose, which I know doesn’t help… but it makes me wonder if there’s an underlying problem?

Might consider calling W.E. directly… or wait and give Clay a chance to see this… he might know a reason for it.

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

Hi René,

I’m wondering if the bolt holding the Vise Jaw is slightly too long. Can you try placing a small washer in between the head of the bold and the Degree Bar when you assemble it? Please let me know if that solves the problem.

–Clay

-Clay

Rene Lafontaine
    Participant

Hi clay and thanks for the answer. I’ll try this and let you know.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

I may have misunderstood the problem.  The Pro Pack 2 adds the riser block, but doesn’t change the vise itself, so I inferred that the problem was with the long screws bolting the vise to the base.  Maybe the long screws are 10-24 instead of 10-32?

Rene Lafontaine
    Participant

Tcmeyer. If treads where different they would’nt screw…?

tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Replies: 2095

Tcmeyer. If treads where different they would’nt screw…?

I’m not sure.  The root diameter of a 10-32 tapped hole is larger than the root dia. for a 10-24 screw, so I’m thinking that maybe the threads had become stripped.

Is this the case?  Are the screws that attach the vise to the blue mounting base coming loose?

Rene Lafontaine
    Participant

Hi Clay.

I”ve tried the small washer with the vise jaw but my smallest one was to thick and it was’nt possible to mount it flat… so i thight it up the as much as i can… but no too much it’s aluminum threads… and it was good for today.. i will try to get small nylon washer it might be better.

Also just like that… a smaller bolt should be included with the kit… the top bolt is way to long.. i’ve needed to file it tonight again… i’m mostly sharpening kitchen inives and filet knives.. at low angles…. and scratching it often.

Maybe i will have to buy the low angle addon and 12″rods…

And for the other here…from canada. Is there any place i can order the little  rubner that i have seen over the rod end that prevents metal dust to go in the ball head?

Thanks and have a good day.

Mikedoh
    • Replies: 570
    Rene Lafontaine
    Participant

Thanks a lot Mikedoh!!! That’s totally what i was looking for!!!!

wickededge
    Keymaster

Rene,

Thanks for following up. The unit normally ships with a second Top Vise Screw that is shorter. Yours should have had it. We can send you one if you like. Let me know what happens with the smaller washer. We can also send you one of those if you want, or a new Fixed Vise Jaw. If the washer works, it means that the threading in the Fixed Vise Jaw doesn’t go in deeply enough. That’s a warranty issue and we’d be happy to fix it.

-Clay

Rene Lafontaine
    Participant

Thanks for the answer Keymaster

I have purchased my kit …something like 4 years ago… and i saw back then that this screw was an issue. And there was only one screw as i remember. Aand the one down to tight it up is still eating the aluminum(old model i gess or people have done mods to pute a piece of metan in fron to help not going trough the mobile vise jaw

I will try to buy one in canada because it will be more exensive in custom fees than founding it here 😉

I will try to find a very thin washer to fit there as soon as i can.

Have a good day

René.

wickededge
    Keymaster

That is an old system. We’ve been using a steel insert in the jaws for a long time to prevent the screw from digging in.

-Clay

Rene Lafontaine
    Participant

I know it’s the old system but it was the one sold buy your canadian retailer back then.

And i gess that back then there was no second screw included?

Have a great friday !

Buy the way thats is the most incredible after service i ever had!! Thats great

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.